Skip to main content

Update- as we get close tor regionals. 2019 popped 90 on the bump (93 on pull downs) a few times this year. Sitting 86-87. Last start 5 IP, 12Ks 6 BB. Walking quite a bit this season 16 BB in 15 IP. His  focus is on developing his command better during Legion season. Throwing " hard for alaska" up here is ok, but not at the next step. Graduates Thursday. 

2021- Starting SS, 3 Hole, hitting .551 (27 for 49) for the season, 4 2Bs, 4 3Bs,  20 RBIs, 22 SB, .600 for league. Pitching up here is not anywhere near what lower 48 is. most kids are sitting 75-72. In some cases lower. pitching wise- he's sitting 84 mph, only pitched 6.2 IP and struck out 12. 8BB 

Only 2 league games left, then Regionals, then hopefully State.

What's the next step for next year?

Is PG a good choice?  There's one in Washington in Sep. I think he has good speed (6.7) and exit velo 89 (w/wood) 94 (w/metal). Earlier posts recommended it. I didn't realize it was $650 dollars plus airfare and room. so about 1500 dollars for two people.

2021 will be a junior, and he's got to focus on his grades to get it up to 3.5. for our primary goal and getting stronger. He's 6' 1 165 lbs - he lost weight during basketball season but is definitely stronger this year.

Another question? How to I keep him playing Basketball? He  pretty good at that, and I don't  like specialization in sports. He just wants to play baseball. I think it will get boring and monotonous during the winter for him.   

Sorry for the rant...

Alaskan

Re: basketball

Soph year my son was cut from basketball after being the freshman point guard. There were people who thought he might make the jump to varsity. He was cut for missing almost every “optional” workout and not playing for the summer team. He was playing two other sports and fall ball. Plus in high school baseball became a year round effort with either skills or physical development. 

Not playing basketball allowed him to focus on baseball all winter. He made a huge jump in skills the first two winters not playing basketball. He also bulked up rather than losing weight running the court. 

Your son has to do a little soul searching on how much he will miss basketball. But if he’s committed to putting in the work after school every day for baseball and wants to do it I would let him. Offseason workouts need to be something organized he does with other teammates so he doesn’t goof off. 

Last edited by RJM

His best bet would be to find a travel team and have him play in the 48 during the summer. I understand how difficult that might be considering you would have to fly to every event, but I'm sure if you find a good enough organization he could fly out on his own and have a coach/teammates pick him up at airports and room with kids. 2019 played for a national team with kids from all over and there were probably 8-10 kids going solo every time. Mine flew 2k miles and his coach picked him up at 3am after a long delay. 

Most teams, especially when pulling kids from multiple states aren't getting together every week. Most of the time it will be a weeklong tournament then two weeks off. Thurs-Sunday tournament, week off. You don't have to make every tournament, but a quality team that has sent players to schools your son is interested in will understand your situation and let you know which events he should not miss. 

Even if he does well at a PG showcase. Coaches aren't flying up to Alaska to watch him play a legion game and they're not going to offer him based on a showcase and a camp, they're going to want to see him play games against good competition. He has impressive numbers and good size with room to fill out. I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would be interested, even if to just guest play for a tournament or two. 

Somebody mentioned NorCal on another thread. The west coasters might be able to point you in a better direction, but there are a few good teams up that way. 

Alaskan,

I live in Seattle area. Not many here do PG because of the cost but I've heard good things about them from others on this site. Most here do either Baseball Northwest (https://baseballnorthwest.com/) or https://www.pnwregionalbaseball.com/ they are MUCH cheaper so you can keep your cost down. If you timed it right you could do both during the same trip and still have money left over if PG is really $650.00

Based on what they see at the eval you can get an invite to their regional games which have lots of scouts at them. Check their websites to see if any are from our list of target schools.

Alaskan posted:

3.4 GPA this year.  A couple of AP classes but nothing spectacular. What I would consider to be a average student.

Goals are to get a actuarial science degree and work in baseball.

Dream Schools : Cal Baptist or Arizona State.

Cal Baptist is not located in a "sexy' area of So Cal but I will tell you their facilities (both athletic and academic) are top notch and the couple of the coaching staff that I have met I get a thumbs up from me. They have established a good reputation and are doing quite well in their first year as a D1 program (WAC). I assume you have reached out to them/sent film. If not, you should and perhaps see where they (coaches) will be this summer. Good luck!! 

Cal Baptist has his desired degree (actuarial science). We haven't reached out to anyone yet. Should I send them film now or during his junior year? Should I be reaching out? Riverside isn't that bad. They have In-n-Out after all  

D I is a dream for him, probably like everyone else when they were a kid. I look at fit, affordability and him being happy with his choice,if he gets one to make...  I 

I do not want to discourage anybody, however you should always check on where they recruit from. Many California schools are made up almost entirely of young men from California. There are more California Ball Players than there is spots. Cal Baptist is no Different. Looking at their current roster, they are almost entirely from California. One kid from Minnesota. 

https://cbulancers.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball

Alaskan posted:

Cal Baptist has his desired degree (actuarial science). We haven't reached out to anyone yet. Should I send them film now or during his junior year? Should I be reaching out? Riverside isn't that bad. They have In-n-Out after all  

This could be a whole new thread, but for now the answer is to have him start reaching out via email and asking if they'll be at any showcases in the Pacific NW. Include his metrics, size, a short video of his swing, speed, glove, bullpen, and make the subject line attractive.  Joe Smith - 6'1 Sophomore RHP 86mph. 

Waiting is the worst thing you can do. Especially when he is interested in D1s like ASU. They already have a list of guys they need to see this summer. 

Just search the topic and I'm sure you'll find a ton on here. If not just make another thread about sending emails to coaches: how and when

Alaskan posted:

D I is a dream for him, probably like everyone else when they were a kid. I look at fit, affordability and him being happy with his choice,if he gets one to make...  I 

Nothing wrong with Riverside for sure. I would reach out now or soon (summer) with some video and metrics. Especially if you come down to the lower 48 for an event(s). True what was said about CBU looking at mostly Cali kids. However, if you make the effort and can get on their radar, I am sure they will take a look. You will at the very least get the ol' camp invite but I know they are very active come recruiting season. I have seen them each and every time my son played in Az during summer and Fall - CBU coaches were scouting on multiple fields.

thanks for the reply and i'll do more research on videos and sending it out. Central Wash is on the list.  from what I can see there are schools on the west coast with that degree and baseball. Stanford and Cal are out of his reach.  ASU & Cal Baptist are his dream schools,Central Washington (D2) & is closer to home and in a small town, which I like. Concordia Irvine (D II) is another. 

Alaskan posted:

Another question? How to I keep him playing Basketball? He  pretty good at that, and I don't  like specialization in sports. He just wants to play baseball. I think it will get boring and monotonous during the winter for him.   

I pushed my son to play basketball through his junior year. On the plus side, I had enough influence to keep him going out that long  Senior year, he put his foot down and refused to go out. He had a thoroughly good time coming up with obnoxious cheers, coaching his friends from the student section. At some point, you have to let your kid know themselves best.

JCG posted:

UCSB has an actuary program. Great baseball program too.  Not an easy school for an average student to get into without baseball though.

I can tell you from personal experience that it's very easy to get sidetracked at UCSB if a student is not focused on academics and/or never really learned how to study prior to attending . Awesome place though and a great education available along with fantastic extracurriculars!

If he is considering a visit to Cal Baptist, be sure to include Concordia Irvine (that noted above has the same degree option).  UCSD played them this year and they are a competitive, well-coached team.  It is a small but very nice campus surrounded by some nice homes, and it is only about 5 miles from the Pacific Ocean (versus 50 for Riverside).  And there is an In-n-Out beside the UC Irvine campus just a few miles away!

Speaking on Corcordia- Irvine,  I started doing the research and talking to my kid , and he brought them up before I did.

As far as basketball, he talked to the basketball coach and turned down a trip to go outside this summer  and informed him of his winter plans. The basketball coach ( great guy) told him he would save a place if he changed his mind and wished him the best. Also told him that he could workout (lift) with the team in the mornings before work. 

Ahhh... one of my favorite fields... I sorta hoped the kid would end up there (shoulda pulled a Lori Laughlin).  Although it didn't really suck having to go down to SD during JC years and occasionally driving up Hwy 1 to SF after that.  The facilities at PLU are actually surpringly a bit old and ragged.  But with that backdrop, it translates into "character".

And, PLU is doing quite well already at D2 level, qualified and currently playing in regionals.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Update:

We just finished the Alaska Legion season for 2019.

2019: Great summer, earned money working, worked out all summer, great season, 2-1, 17 IP =24Ks. Consistently 85-90 mph-just finished packing for AZ. His New HC says conditioning starts in a week.....Whew!

2021 had a great season. Pitching was great 3-0 2 SV 20.1 IP 29K  6 BB. Made All-State as a Infielder. Hit a couple of HRs for Legion.

2021 Was invited to a MLB scout showcase  this summer. He got his measurables done by a 3rd party there: 86 FB 72 CV 76 CH, 6.79 60yd, 86 EV, 87 IF from SS. He's 6'1, 157 lb. Still scrawny in my eyes. Won't be able to go to a showcase this year but will attend the Senior Fall Classic in AZ in October. He will pitch and be a SS/OF.

Question? Some of the scouts took his phone number and asked him some questions about the what positions he likes playing,etc. I would say pretty vanilla stuff to ask a 2021. Why would they taking his phone numbers? They talked to me, but it was more about the fishing in the area . After reading the Forum, i know better than to be "that dad". Our HC talked to a few of them. 

We started preparing a video to send out to schools he has got a interest in and will send it out as soon as it is complete. 

Thanks again for the replies and messages. Alaska does not have the network of baseball recruiting or as many showcases for kids to be noticed, but with your help, along with some friends, my boy (2019) has been able to get noticed and gets to play college ball in the lower 48. We only had approximately 288 kids playing Legion AA baseball. 

Alaskan posted:

Update:

We just finished the Alaska Legion season for 2019.

2019: Great summer, earned money working, worked out all summer, great season, 2-1, 17 IP =24Ks. ..

2021 had a great season. Pitching was great 3-0 2 SV 20.1 IP 29K  6 BB. ..

Question? Some of the scouts took his phone number and asked him some questions about the what positions he likes playing,etc. .. Why would they taking his phone numbers? ... Our HC talked to a few of them. 

Congrats, Alaskan!  Sounds like things are headed the right direction for both.  Just so funny to hear of successful seasons for top P's to be just 17+ and 20+ innings.  

Regarding your question about why they took phone numbers, sounds like the HC that talked to a few of them would be who you want to get specific feedback from.

Continued best.

Last edited by cabbagedad
cabbagedad posted:

Ahhh... one of my favorite fields... I sorta hoped the kid would end up there (shoulda pulled a Lori Laughlin).  Although it didn't really suck having to go down to SD during JC years and occasionally driving up Hwy 1 to SF after that.  The facilities at PLU are actually surpringly a bit old and ragged.  But with that backdrop, it translates into "character".

And, PLU is doing quite well already at D2 level, qualified and currently playing in regionals.

I have a relative who played and graduated there.  He loved the experience and the baseball program.  They play against some top notch teams in their division (Azusa Pac, Dixie St., etc).  I think last year there was a coaching change but heard it's still a great program.

I know it is tough to do given your location, but it might be time to get your 2021 off that legion team and send him south for a few tournaments this summer. He has great measurables and I'm sure he would stand out with some of the brand name teams this summer - even if he's only a guest player. 

I don't know how realistic that is given the geography, financial situation, work situation, etc. But it is something at least worth looking into and it would be doing a great service to your son. Either way, sounds like he's doing very well. 

PABASEBALL wrote “he has great measurables and I’m sure he would stand out.....”

I attend Showcases regularly looking for JuCo players.  There are only a few things that turn a coaches head at these events. A sub 6.6 sixty time will do it. So will 90 mph + FB velo on the mound.  A hitter that makes a different sound when the ball comes off his bat will do it too. But that’s about it.  Nobody cares what exit velo a kid can generate off a tee with a Happy Gilmore swing. Nobody cares if a kid throws 85 across the diamond vs 89. Coaches recruit kids that are good players after they have seen them play in person with their own eyes. Good players have great hands and feet.  They also have good instincts. They know how to run the bases, they take good angles to the ball, they know what base  to throw to, and they have intangibles - like heart and leadership qualities. None of those things can be measured but they are the things that determine whether a player is recruitable. Just my 2 cents but most coaches I know have the same opinion. 

adbono posted:

PABASEBALL wrote “he has great measurables and I’m sure he would stand out.....”

I attend Showcases regularly looking for JuCo players.  There are only a few things that turn a coaches head at these events. A sub 6.6 sixty time will do it. So will 90 mph + FB velo on the mound.  A hitter that makes a different sound when the ball comes off his bat will do it too. But that’s about it.  Nobody cares what exit velo a kid can generate off a tee with a Happy Gilmore swing. Nobody cares if a kid throws 85 across the diamond vs 89. Coaches recruit kids that are good players after they have seen them play in person with their own eyes. Good players have great hands and feet.  They also have good instincts. They know how to run the bases, they take good angles to the ball, they know what base  to throw to, and they have intangibles - like heart and leadership qualities. None of those things can be measured but they are the things that determine whether a player is recruitable. Just my 2 cents but most coaches I know have the same opinion. 

"He got his measurables done by a 3rd party there: 86 FB, 6.79 60yd, 86 EV, 87 IF. He's 6'1, 157 lb. Still scrawny in my eyes."

For a 16 year old that doesn't even weigh 160 lbs that is extremely projectable. There are levels to this. Lanky sophomore throwing hard will get interest. Senior is the same position no so much. I suggested putting him on a brand name team that way he doesn't have to turn heads at showcases, they will already be coming to him. 

I still disagree about the heart and leadership. That doesn't determine if a player is recruitable - his talent does. Coaches are seeing these guys 5 or 6 times before they offer in individual showcases and summer games where wins and losses don't really mean anything. Yeah a coach can ask around, but the truth is you can't measure heart, leadership, or any of that at a showcase/camp. Not everybody needs to be a leader. On a roster of 30+ guys the leaders will step up on their own and they will almost always be juniors and seniors that have been around and know the ropes

PABaseball posted:
adbono posted:

"He got his measurables done by a 3rd party there: 86 FB, 6.79 60yd, 86 EV, 87 IF. He's 6'1, 157 lb. Still scrawny in my eyes."

For a 16 year old that doesn't even weigh 160 lbs that is extremely projectable. There are levels to this. Lanky sophomore throwing hard will get interest. Senior is the same position no so much. I suggested putting him on a brand name team that way he doesn't have to turn heads at showcases, they will already be coming to him. 

I still disagree about the heart and leadership. That doesn't determine if a player is recruitable - his talent does. Coaches are seeing these guys 5 or 6 times before they offer in individual showcases and summer games where wins and losses don't really mean anything. Yeah a coach can ask around, but the truth is you can't measure heart, leadership, or any of that at a showcase/camp. Not everybody needs to be a leader. On a roster of 30+ guys the leaders will step up on their own and they will almost always be juniors and seniors that have been around and know the ropes

There is too much emphasis on posting measurables and not enough emphasis on improving play on the field. That is my point and most coaches agree with me. I’m giving you a different perspective. You aren’t obligated to listen or agree. 

ADBONO;

is there a "measurable" for "baseball intelligence", the 6th Tool and "desire to compete"?

It is called "non verbal" communication. Watch the player when he departs his car before practice or the game. Is the cell phone turn off. Is he walking tall and carrying his own equipment. If he is a hitter where is the bat? Is his shoes shined? Shirt "tucked in".

Cap squared in his head. "Is he ready to play"? Where is his water bottle?

Bob

"founder" of the Area Code games and Goodwill Series Int'l

Consultant posted:

ADBONO;

is there a "measurable" for "baseball intelligence", the 6th Tool and "desire to compete"?

It is called "non verbal" communication. Watch the player when he departs his car before practice or the game. Is the cell phone turn off. Is he walking tall and carrying his own equipment. If he is a hitter where is the bat? Is his shoes shined? Shirt "tucked in".

Cap squared in his head. "Is he ready to play"? Where is his water bottle?

Bob

"founder" of the Area Code games and Goodwill Series Int'l

Thanks, Bob. You are making my case for me. 

New News:

A MLB scout/friend that was up here this summer called Mom and I over the weekend and offered a spring scout team spot for FEB/March he would like to see him on if a roster spot was available. He said the 2021 is still young but would like to see him compete against some kids down in the lower 48.

I talked with the HC about if anything was said on 2021. He said they asked where 2019 was and where he was going to college, if the kid (2021) was going anywhere else this summer and when we started the HS season.

Concerning intangibles:

I've never had to worry about the 2021 playing hard or his heart. He's always chased his Big brothers,older players and always wants to be the "Alpha" or the winner.. He's always been around our program since he was a 6th grader.

My concern is the connection/recruiting process living in Alaska. So all the numbers are on the video the 3rd party made. Stalker, Laser, the whole gambit. They did a great job.We will use that to send out to colleges this month.

Traveling out:

We are contemplating a 18U team in Seattle for the Junior going to Senior year rather than Legion. Lots of things are up in the air. Using your comments and suggestions have helped me to get mom on board more. Now that 2019 is leaving Mom and the rest of the kids are grown, She seems to be willing to try...( I think there will be some traveling for her if this happens.  

I'll keep you updated.

Depends on the level recruiting. They want the measurable AND the game play.  I watched a lefty kid come in throwing 81-83 and completely shutdown a team of P5 commits and no one cared. There were probably 10 P5 coaches there and no one talked to him at all.  You can throw a perfect game throwing 85-86... P5 coaches won’t even look.  There are too many kids in that pool. They want it all, and if you only have 1...it better be velo (obviously just speaking for pitchers).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.