Skip to main content

"There is argument that the action was criminal assalt. Serious injury could have occured and the base runner was no way involved in what was occuring at first."

Those are all good points Harv...very good.

I've written e-mails to the president of Yavapai Community College asking for the most harsh punishment, the president of Scottsdale Community College lending our support, and the president of the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference to reinforce the hopefully harsh decision that Yavapai will hand out. Please join me in sending an e-mail. Together we will keep the thugs in their cowardly place and off of our ball fields.

Last edited by gotwood4sale
I just found out about this last night.

I know the father of the player in the JC incident. He is a good man, a good friend and while I have not talked to him (yet), I can guarantee you that he is miserable and sick over it.

I know the kid a little bit...not much. He has always been polite to me. I don't comprehend the incident at all...but I know this is a good father and a good family.

Today, I will choose to keep them in my prayers as well.
Last edited by justbaseball

I'm glad you shared that with us justbaseball. Although the father is a decent guy, as you say, he nonetheless must face up to what his son, Austin, did. The father, along with his family, and Austin's coaches now have a tremendous job ahead of them in rehabilitating Austin's formerly good standing within the baseball community. The heavy lifting, of course, must come from Austin himself.

He will be forced to realize just what it's like to have to pay the consequences of perhaps only a single very, very wrong action. Anyone who relies on their good reputation, a reputation that always requires much effort to build, knows full well that it can be destroyed in an instant. Austin, at a very young age, must learn that lesson. He recently earned 'Baseball Player of the Week' in the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference and now, in a long blink of the eye, he is considered a thug. Soaring, soaring, and then crater.

I do not have any sympathy for him, but for the sake of a better world generally, I do hope that he comes to terms with this quickly and in a most positive manner as possible. There will be, deservedly, near overwhelming pressure on the decision makers who will ultimately affect the outcome of this sorry event. They should be in everyone's prayers as well. Fortunately the camera was on...and it didn't lie. There is no changing that. And the decision makers know that. The rosin is out of the bag. The pine tar is out of the bottle. And the seeds are out of their shells. There are no 'do overs' here.

And let's face it, any of us or our children are capable of stepping out of line. All of us would realize that the piper's payment is due...a heavy toll that unquestionably must be paid. This was no accident...it was a cowardly cheap shot and cheap shots are never acceptable by decent people. This is something that Austin unfortunately never learned, for if he had, this ugly incident would never have happened.

I won't and I can't say that I will never be in Austin's father's shoes, but let me tell you that is the last place I would ever want to be. I do, unsympathetically, wish them well. And for the rest of us? A lesson learned. Teach your children.

You're so right Ibby. All of this so very sad mess could have very well, without question, landed in any one of our laps. The problem is I just see boorish, bad, and even vicious behavior not punished much. Where do we take a stand?

If there ever were a better opportunity than this to squelch a player from taking a cowardly cheap shot I'm not aware of it. The penalty for severely endangering the health and well being of an unsuspecting competitor should be withering and notable. What else would deter such behavior?

Austin will overcome this and if he is sincere in his efforts to turn his life around then he will be a positive force on this earth and we all benefit. If he chooses to do otherwise then we all lose. It's as simple as that.

quote:
All of this so very sad mess could have very well, without question, landed in any one of our laps.

Don't get me wrong, the coach was a jerk. But it doesn't justify what the pitcher did to light this keg of gunpowder. This wasn't an accident, that could happen to anyone. The pitcher made a decision....a bad one. I don't think most would make that same decision.
quote:
Today Is Easter Sunday, Easter is all about forgiveness and new life.
I have done some things in my life that I'm not proud of, MANY things...
Things that weren't caught on camera and viewed by millions. The Internet can be a great thing and it can also be a very cruel thing. Not one of us is blameless, not one. I'm sure the player realizes by now he made a terrible mistake, but in the heat of the moment sometimes we do things we wouldn't ordinarily do. It's a terrible way to learn a life lesson. My heart goes out to the boy and his family. That could have been me... That could have been my son...

That wasn't a mistake. That wasn't a good kid making a bad decision. That was a BAD kid trying to get away with one of the worst cheap shots I have ever seen. If that was my Son on Second Base I dont know what I would have done if I witnessed that. That was an unprovoked assualt!! What was the extent of the injury? In this case the Internet shows exactly what happened. The Coward in left field tried to injur another player Blindside for no reason.

The cheap shot hit was not a mistake. His decision to deliver it, without question, was.

What you have said CBMDad is the reason I'm so motivated to do something to try and help make sure that something like this doesn't happen again.

Of course, we all know that something just like this will absolutely happen again, but the punishment should be severe so as to act as a strong deterrent to cowards or hotheads. Innocent and unsuspecting competitors should not have to have their health and playing career put in jeopardy by a most cowardly act. There is enough risk just playing fairly, why allow an increase of that risk by not policing the bad guys?

As Innocent Bystander suggests, Austin O'Such can redeem himself if he chooses to do so. I sincerely hope that Austin makes that wisest choice. And I think his redemption should start at the lowest point possible. Harsh punishment should put Austin in a deep, dark hole. The perfect setting for serious contemplation.

The choices he makes on his road to total and rejuvenating redemption will ensure that he will be welcomed back by decent people who expect decent behavior. It will be a very tough and wrenching road, but one with lots of opportunities for reflection along the way. The journey hopefully started before he reached his dug out the other day.

I generally oppose bringing criminal charges against cheap shotters, which has happened in pro hockey.
But Austin O'Such is the exception.
Suspension from baseball isn't strong enough.
The kid is a thug. If he weren't playing baseball, he'd be blindsiding grandmothers for their pocketbooks.
O'Such should some spend serious time in the county jail.
Also he should provide a urine sample.
Last edited by freddy77
Update

“The YC player involved was immediately suspended by the college and will be suspended from play for the rest of the season. The college has implemented this action and will continue to work with the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference (ACCAC) on current and future sanctions following conference procedures. Per conference rules team members from both teams involved in the on field incident have already served their suspensions.”

The Daily Mail points out O‘Such’s profile has been deleted from the team’s website.
IB, This is not the same thing. Your Son did what he did during play. I'm not saying I agree with what he did but it was during the action of the game. The left fielder did it while there was no play going on. He Acted like a Sniper picking off an unsuspecting person standing in the street. the kid had no way whatsoever to defend himself. I Cant believe some are having trouble seeing that. It doesn't matter if there was history between the two. In fact if there was it says there was premeditation which makes it worse!!
quote:
Originally posted by Innocent Bystander:
I'm curious as to whether the runner is suffering from any injuries sustained from the hit.
Also, do we know if there was any history between the left fielder and the runner?

An update from a local TV station in Phoenix.

AZ Republic - Channel 12

My son has played against Mesquite HS many times and against the player named in the story as the receiver of the cheap shot. He was never involved in any kind of issue that I'm aware of.

I think he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The story includes an update from the young man who gave the shot and the social media backlash. He has been forced to leave school and return home for his own safety.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning what he did. This was simply the most disgusting thing I have ever seen on any ball field, ever. But I also don't think the kid deserves to by lynched.

Also interesting is that I've heard the initial suspension was 4 games, then became 8 as more people complained, then became 'forever' when more people complained.

Also not previously mentioned, but the SCC team left the bench during the initial issue at first base. By rule, all who left the bench were suspended for two games, forcing SCC to forfeit their next two games because they didn't have enough players to play.

YCC was able to play their next two because the coaches kept the players who were on the bench, on the bench. All players who 'left their position' were suspended for two games (which was basically everyone on the field) so YCC played with their second string.
Last edited by JMoff

For all of the reasons CBM states there is no way I would ever consider your son a thug IB. I'm guessing that CBM and I both think that it is a lack of severe and effective punishment being meted out that actually may motivate an athlete with a bad attitude to ultimately act out in a unacceptable and even vicious way.

How do you prevent a dirty player, such as the one your fifth grade son encountered, from taking advantage? Well first off the referee should have been blowing the whistle on the offender. If the kid didn't want to take a seat on the bench then he would back off. There is a reason why fouls are part of a basketball game. If a player commits one, and he's whistled for it, he pays a price. The referee, in this case, did not have control of the game. Your son meted out the punishment instead. Effective. And in my opinion he was justified.

In the Yavapai CC vs. Scottsdale CC baseball game I am quite certain that there was no 'bad blood' between Yavapai's left fielder and Scottsdale's base runner on second base. If there were something brewing between the two the base runner, especially because of the mounting turmoil at first base, would have taken the opportunity to look for the left fielder for the purpose of mixing it up with him. Certainly most all of the other players were getting involved.

The videotape proves otherwise however. It appears a quite innocent base runner is not looking for trouble. He would have been in the fray with the others if he was looking to get physical with players from Yavapai. The left fielder from Yavapai, on the other hand, saw an opportunity to take a cowardly cheapshot on a totally unsuspecting competitor. Shameful. And the whole ugly act was caught clearly on the videotape. It seems that not much is in dispute.

How do you prevent Yavapai's left fielder from ever leveling a cheapshot like that again? How do you prevent any other player from doing the same? You punish them to the fullest extent. Why? Because that cheapshot was about as bad as it ever gets. Scottsdale's base runner could have very well been injured severely enough to never play the game again. Thankfully it appears this is not the case, but it easily could have been. Then what? How different would this discussion be if the worst had occurred?

The players should be motivated to keep the game clean. Win or lose, compete fair and square. Stay healthy to compete another day. But you see plenty of poor sportsmanship at all levels. And when it is not shunted properly poor sportsmanship really becomes just a 'lowering of the bar' or 'lowering of standards'. Why would we want that? Why do we accept that?

At many school sponsored sporting events a page in the Sports Program will detail 'Sportsmanship' or 'Sports Code of Ethics'. There is a good reason why this page exists...to promote and foster good sportsmanship. If there is going to be lax enforcement of rules and inadequate punishment dished out to offenders then printing that page is a waste of paper and ink.

woody - you ask, "How different would this conversation have been if...?"

How different do you want it to be? Need it to be? The conversation is pretty strong...about as strong as it could be I think. The letter writing campaign, the media campaign...the viral internet campaign have been overwhelming. It has all (at least temporarily) not only dramatically changed the player's life...but has also brought perhaps unprecedented venom down upon a fairly nice family.

No woody and others, I am not condoning one single bit the actions of the player. His actions were inexcusable and stern punishment is deserved. But I am aching for my friend, his father, as he tries to get his son's and his family's life put back together and on a better track while under the microscope of the internet and the media.

I simply do not believe that any of you would feel any differently if the player's father or mother was your friend.
I posted the original link after my son sent it to me after our “what would you do” conversation about the Yuba City incident. Like everyone else I was shocked and disgusted by the actions of the left fielder. I immediately thought about how I would feel if that was my son on second base or a teammate. I also agree that punishment must be handed down…Like Gotwood has said many times to prevent others from ever think about taking the same kind of action.

I liked what Gotwood posted:
I do not have any sympathy for him, but for the sake of a better world generally, I do hope that he comes to terms with this quickly and in a most positive manner as possible. There will be, deservedly, near overwhelming pressure on the decision makers who will ultimately affect the outcome of this sorry event. They should be in everyone's prayers as well. Fortunately the camera was on...and it didn't lie. There is no changing that. And the decision makers know that. The rosin is out of the bag. The pine tar is out of the bottle. And the seeds are out of their shells. There are no 'do overs' here.

However if it is true that the punishment started at 4 games and then because of pressure went to 8 games and then because of more pressure went to forever then I wonder if that will be good enough.
Gotwood said that he hopes Austin comes to terms with this quickly and in the most positive manner as possible. To do that I think the decision makers should decide and then stick to their decision and not keeping changing decisions based on public pressure. This is kinda like cruel and unusual punishment. Determine his punishment, and then hopefully Austin will decide what he can do above and beyond the punishment handed down to deal with this in the most positive manner.

I am not sure what is the right amount of justice is here but to keep raising the punishment based on public pressure is like mob justice and I am sure that is not fair.

"I simply do not believe that any of you would feel any differently if the player's father or mother was your friend."

You're absolutely right just. I admire your stance on this subject. You are one of the most respected members on this site. That didn't just happen...you earned every bit of it. We are all privileged to know you because why? Because of the great game of baseball. That is our common bond.

Unfortunately your friend's son was caught on videotape committing a terrible unsportsmanlike act which could have inflicted severe enough injury to an unsuspecting competitor to prevent that player from ever playing the game he loves ever again. Thankfully, it appears, the worst did not occur.

But let me tell you that I can, indeed, put myself in both your friend's shoes and in his son's shoes. It is a most tough and most uncomfortable spot for each of them. Honestly, for there to be an outcome they both are certainly praying for, they can not make a misstep. I know the son can redeem himself. I have a strong sense that he will.

And why do I sense that? In some way or another, decades ago, I was in the son's shoes...or at least his socks. I committed a shameful act and through my own soul searching journey, I quickly came to realize redemption. Although I was too young to be severely punished I knew full well I had done something horribly wrong. My redemption, as it properly should, changed my life. The same can happen for your friend's son.

On this website, your friend's son doesn't have a more vocal and harsh critic other than myself. I've read some commentary on other sites and most all of it is vicious, destructive, ineffective, and unfortunately a sad reflection on that portion of our society who chooses to comment publicly on such matters. I have been harsh, but civil. And hopefully constructive and effective.

And in that spirit I have reached out directly to your friend. I am willing to share the story of my shameful behavior to help your friend's son find his road to redemption. I'm a pretty good navigator, it's one of my strengths. Please let your friend know I'm willing to help. As I told your friend in closing about his son..."He can imagine the good young man that deep down he already is."

Thank you just.

Thank you for your post JMoff. It was quite revealing and much appreciated.

From the Channel 12 written report it is clear that Austin is very remorseful and the player he leveled, Jake, is not revengeful. Both players are behaving much better than most of us could imagine. That is uplifting.

I'm confident now that this most unfortunate incident will ultimately lead to a positive outcome. It is very obvious that many, many people were concerned and outraged. I hope they stick with the story to see how it is unfolding.

woody - I genuinely appreciate your thoughts and greatly respect your position on this.

Our view and our life experiences are very similar (I suspect) and I am just grateful that a camera wasn't there to record some of the stupid things I did myself. I am also eternally grateful and thank God for the wonderful parents that I had and the patience, forgiveness and tremendous love (to go along with the firm discipline) that they gave to me.

This player also has a good family and I believe they will do all that they can to help their son to recognize (the harm), to recover and to grow.

I don't want anyone to read my message as one of ignoring or downplaying the act. I just hope that society will give them a chance. It will be tough given the media/internet attention to date.
JB, I can understand your feelings of being torn over something like this.

I am sure that the kid of your friend probably didn't even really think when he did this. It was one of those spur of the moment things that teenagers sometimes do thinking it will be funny. We fill these kids up with Jackass and TV shows showing adult males acting like juveniles and then wonder when our teens act like these idiots. I highly believe that he really didn't think when he started that run to the base that this would be the outcome.

This is part of the problem with teenagers. They simply don't think. This is why I am honestly more upset with the adults than I am with the kids involved, although they should be disciplined. Adolescents will act like adolescents; it is the responsiblity of the adults, from parents to coaches to umpires, to stop stuff like this from happening.

I keep thinking of the swiss cheese model when things like this go wrong. There were several people involved that could have stopped this thing before it blew up and not a single one of them did a thing. The mom in question should have just shut up in the first place, her continued actions antagonized the coach and showed immaturity on her part. The Assistant Coach should have acted more maturely and the head coach should have kept control of his assistants. The Umpires should have stopped play and at a minimum warned the two parties to knock it off, ejecting one or both of them if it continued.

But no one did anything and now there are multiple kids suspended or expelled. What the kids did was reprehensible but what the parents and coaches was even more pathetic because they should have been in control and they allowed the game to degenerate to the point where the adolescents acted like, well adolescents.

The kids should be punished for their actions but the real shame should be on the parents because this never really had to happen. If ONE person had done what they should have done then it wouldn't have.

"woody - I genuinely appreciate your thoughts and greatly respect your position on this."

The feeling is abundantly mutual. You are going to be a valuable and productive force in helping your friend and his remorseful son getting beyond this.

"Our view and our life experiences are very similar (I suspect) and I am just grateful that a camera wasn't there to record some of the stupid things I did myself."

You've got that right! It was bad enough having the neighbor lady's eyes recording everything. I can only imagine my sorry behind if there were wide-eyed video cameras everywhere I was lurking. Human behavior, good and bad, acceptable and unacceptable, probably hasn't changed much through the ages, but technology has...and oftentimes not for the better in my opinion. The rate of change in our society, because of fast changing technology, is dizzying. I sure wish it could all be used to achieve good as it most likely is always intended. That, unfortunately in my opinion, is not always true.

"I am also eternally grateful and thank God for the wonderful parents that I had and the patience, forgiveness and tremendous love (to go along with the firm discipline) that they gave to me."

They did it right didn't they? Mine did too. I miss them. I'm doing my level best to do as good of a job as they did.

"This player also has a good family and I believe they will do all that they can to help their son to recognize (the harm), to recover and to grow."

Because of what you have shared with us I'm confident they will be successful. It won't be easy...far from it. We all benefit from Austin getting back on track. Jake, with his forgiveness, will be a bright beacon along Austin's road to redemption. God bless him. I don't think it is unreasonable to imagine the two of them, when they are of legal age, sitting down and enjoying a cold beer. It can happen.

"I don't want anyone to read my message as one of ignoring or downplaying the act. I just hope that society will give them a chance. It will be tough given the media/internet attention to date."

I'm certain no one will think that just. And similarly I don't want anyone to think I am one to toss around the term 'coward' loosely. The old adage is: "It takes one to know one." I know one because at one point I was one. I know Austin can get through this, but it is going to take a determined and soul searching effort. It will not be easy, but it will produce a cherished reward. The horrible, vile, and vacant minded responses found on most other sites actually say more about the people commenting than what happened on the ball field. Please have your friend review this site. We've all kept it civil. I'm not letting Austin off the hook...that would diminish his ultimate reward. It filled my heart to hear from you that he is capable and willing to turn his most low point in his life into the basis for a wholesome future. I'm rooting for him. And I will forever especially admire Jake, and his family as well, for the good choices he and his family are making.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.