Skip to main content

Hi guys, first post! So I'm 17 and playing european baseball on national level, I have big tournament in the summer and the glove I have for the last 2.5 years got floppy and it feels like I need to get a new one. I play outfield and my current glove is an easton pro 82 12.75" which i really like but I gotta get a new one.

I am looking to spend around 100$ so a2000 or heart of the hide is ruled out. I am interested in your opinion on a few gloves I noticed on the web-

easton core 12.75"(less than 100$ and has good reviews)/

rawlings gold glove elite gge1275/

easton pro series epg82b 12.75".

and feel free to suggest other gloves 

links for these gloves:

http://www.amazon.com/Easton-E...02E1QTEPHZ7AV0NC4CQ8

http://www.dickssportinggoods....8116&fg=Position

http://www.amazon.com/Easton-S...amp;ref_=pd_ybh_a_12

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son needs at least one new glove every year due to a medical condition (profuse hand sweating - think Albert Brooks in "Broadcast News").  As an aside, it also derailed his basketball and pitching careers and means he needs a different pair of batting gloves for each at-bat (he will go through 5 or 6 in a cage session).

That being said, we are always monitoring ebay for batting and baseball glove deals.  A new HOH, Global Elite, or A2000 at retail once or twice every year is tough.  He really likes the Spalding Dexter Fowler model below.  I have found it on ebay for about $50 and it really is a quality glove.  His all-time favorite is the Mizuno Global Elite, but the least I have purchased that for is about $150 for a $300+ retail glove.  The down side is that you can't try them on and we bought a Rawlings pro-preferred in the past that he just could not break in right.  However, we saved a ton of money going this route with a 90%+ success rate.

Spalding Pro-Select Series 12.75" Web Fielding Glove Left Hand Throw (42-005FR)

Welcome to the site David!

Any glove that is appropriately sized will do fine if you are a capable outfielder.  Instead of a specific recommendation I would recommend and approach to selecting the glove that is right for you.

How much time do you have to break in the glove?  The answer to this question will determine if you should focus on "game ready" gloves that are easy to break in or if you have the time to get a little better quality leather and break it in the way you like.

How strong are you?  One issue for an outfielder is having a glove that is appropriate for your strength and body type.  If you are mature then you can consider any glove because you will be able to move a heavier glove into position quickly.  If you are not physically large and do not have adult muscles yet look for a glove that is a little lighter.

How many games / practices do you play?  If gloves are well maintained and cared for they are only limited by initial quality and use.  Are you are catching 1000 balls per year or 5000 balls per year?  The higher that number the better quality of leather and structure I would gravitate to.

Have you touched / felt / tried out the gloves?  Reviews can be deceiving because they are written by people who have vastly different requirements and needs.  One mans "GREAT GLOVE!!!", is another's too hard to break in or became too lose... Try to touch the gloves in person before you buy online.

You have set a budget of ~$100 dollars.  I have found greater success in setting a per year glove budget.  If your per year budget is ~$50 then a budget glove that last two year meets that ($100) but so is a better quality glove that will last 3 to 4 years and have better leather qualities.

In real estate is it location, location, location.  IMO with gloves it is leather, leather, leather.  I have never regretted spending more to get a quality glove.  

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.