Skip to main content

Manchester's Nicholas Butts has yet to see his first varsity action but is already regarded as one of the state's top Class of 2015 baseball prospects!

Butts is featured today on VirginiaPreps.com. Let us know of other freshmen (Class of 2015) standouts that are likely to see varsity action this spring - post the info here or email us at VaPreps@aol.com.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.
I can see the next breathless post here: "Tball/coach pitch batting champ to commits to HomeTown Tech University!!!"

Now the player mentioned may indeed be a fine player & member of the community - but he's 13 or 14, and will have to compete against 17 & 18 year olds.

Let's check back in a year or so, ok?
quote:
Originally posted by Jess1:
- but he's 13 or 14, and will have to compete against 17 & 18 year olds.

If he is 13 in the spring of his freshman year, he must be excellent in the classroom also. Not many students graduate at age 16, though a few do. More likely an individual in the spring of his freshman year will be closer to age 15 than 13 or 14.
I agree that VP is just doing their job. Makes for a good discussion, anyway.

I don't know Nick Butts or family, but I did get the chance to see him play once in the fall. Looks like he can hang with the big boys pretty well. Hard to believe he is just a freshman and pretty certain he is 15-ish, like most freshmen.
When I first saw this post, I thought it was a joke -- someone poking a little fun an the similar thread a few days ago that was talking about 2014 commits.

Sadly, I was mistaken. I agree with the majority of posters in this thread. This kid may very well be the next Big Thing, but let's allow him to play at least a few Varsity games before he's labelled a "Top Prospect."
Hey it's never too early to start this stuff. It is possible to have a committment to a D1 school without ever playing a varsity ballgame. I would tell anyone that has a kid good enough to start on their schools varsity as a Freshman or Sophmore at a competitive school that they need to really dig into the recruiting. Not sure how much posting on this site helps but putting yourself out there definately can.
Any time you have a freshman who is looking to start at a key position for a respectable or better program in a tough district, it's worth at least keeping an eye on him.

Butts is going to do just fine, BTW, and this won't be the last time his name gets posted here.

As for the 8u kid on YouTube -- Chris, is it too late to call dibs? That kid has mad skills!
Nick butts is, in fact, a 14u eligible player. He doesnt turn 15 until late spring or early summer (i believe july but i might be a couple weeks off). He can absolutely hang with the 18u crowd and will very likely contribute immediately as a freshman. He hung just fine playing up on our 16u team last fall (at RBA South) and will be competing with our 17u team this summer and then joining the virginia cardinals in the fall of 2012 (he played for the cardinals at uva in september of 2011 and performed well)

The dominion district is certainly a competitive proving ground for a freshman but i am more than confident that he will do just fine. When considering recent freshman impact players (luke lowery, bryce harman, mac caples , augie ayers) who i knew quite well going into their first high school spring - nicholas is definitely in that class.

This kid can play. The general aversion to pointing out freshman this early is understandable but there are a handful of players in the start each year who warrant the early recognition. Kyle macphearson this past year, or tyler allen and luck scherzer the year before come to mind. We need to leave room for appreciating and discussing the truly exceptional player from time to time.
Last edited by R.Graham
Berry

Some of the debates were about young ball players making college commitments. This thread is simply talking about youngsters that are really good. Much different.

I don't know the Butts kid, but I have to agree with Warrior on Reid Leonard. He is very polished. Plays the game very well. Hangs with kids much older then him. If I had to bet, I'd say he will be in the starting lineup (possibly at short) for BHS to start the season.

You may remember DSF had a freshman at short last year. Gerstimeyer (sp). And in the outfield too, Farkas.

If I'm coaching and have a freshman that can hit, he's in the lineup!

Rich
www.playinschool.com
quote:
Originally posted by El gato:
While not a 2015 grad, Josh Henderson, a 2012 graduate, did not play varsity ball (to my knowledge). He did play for the Canes, and is an excellent player. Signed with Liberty.

Am sure most high school coaches would have taken him in a heartbeat!

Josh has played for First Baptist in Suffolk the last couple of years.
(sorry - fat fingers)
In fact, if you read what I wrote, I said that he should be allowed to play some Varsity ball, assuming he's good enough to do so (and from what I read, he definitely is).

If you go back and read the title posting to this thread, you'll see that he is touted as "one of the state's top class of 2015 prospects!" That's where I take exception, because I simply think that maybe a kid should probably at least play in a few high school games before he's touted as a "Top Prospect."

Just my opinion, there are others that agree and others that disagree -- that's what makes this site so interesting.
Back to the orginal OP....

There is no question the kid will be good. I've heard about him and seen him play once. If RGraham tells me he is a "stud" that is good enough for me.

Where I have issue with this is hyping an "up and coming freshmen" high school player on a message board. There, I've said it, and I actutally used the words "up and coming freshmen" in the same sentence. I'd like to see the kid play some more high school varsity games with no hype, expectations or fanfare. If he is the next Strasburg, it will happen. But, he is 14. C'mon man. Let's let him (or any freshmen) get a body of work and then discuss results AFTER he has achieved them.
quote:
Originally posted by PIS:
Berry

Some of the debates were about young ball players making college commitments. This thread is simply talking about youngsters that are really good. Much different.

I don't know the Butts kid, but I have to agree with Warrior on Reid Leonard. He is very polished. Plays the game very well. Hangs with kids much older then him. If I had to bet, I'd say he will be in the starting lineup (possibly at short) for BHS to start the season.

You may remember DSF had a freshman at short last year. Gerstimeyer (sp). And in the outfield too, Farkas.

If I'm coaching and have a freshman that can hit, he's in the lineup!

Rich
www.playinschool.com

Gerstenmeir is the real deal, and so is Leonard. My son played with both, and I would put Jack G. a little ahead of Reid based on a more explosive bat and being a better athlete.
I think some people might be getting a bit worked up about nothing. You can’t even read the article unless you are paid subscriber to the service listed. I agree with Midlo Dad this is probably more along the lines of a newspaper article cut out and preserved by family members.

I’ve seen Butts play. And yes he is young, he’s 14U eligible. He’s a very good ball player. Good glove up the middle, good bat, and a solid pitcher.

Reid Leonard, I remember him as a 9 year old. Very good ball player. Very polished, and if you didn’t tell anyone he was a FR, no one would ever think it.

I’m not taking away anything from any of the standout FR ballplayers. I just think there are too many factors that can’t be predicted to start getting too excited just yet.

Growth. Maturity. Outside interests impacting how they progress in the game. There are so many things that can change in the next few years.
As a footnote, I never like to hear a high school player (or his parents) talk about how he's still eligible to play at the age grouping a year below his class year.

First of all, ever since the aging date got moved back from August 1 to May 1 some years back, that is a claim that maybe 35-40% of players can make, so you're not saying anything noteworthy.

Worse, it comes across as some excuse for non-performance or at least, for less-than-stellar performance. "Sure, Joey's hitting .450 and Billy's hitting .280, but Billy is only a 14u kid really."

That kind of talk is for parents in middle school and younger ages. Once you get to high school, all anyone cares about is your class year.
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks5:
If any one was really paying attention to Va HS baseball you might have noticed that the 2011 AAA State champions had a freshman who played a pretty prominent role, and he was named all district, all region, all Tidewater, and honorable mention all state. So there are some freshmen who can play with the big boys.

Yes that is Charlie Cody. He was actually on the Max Preps Freshman All-America team. Not the first one he's ever been on
quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
As a footnote, I never like to hear a high school player (or his parents) talk about how he's still eligible to play at the age grouping a year below his class year.

First of all, ever since the aging date got moved back from August 1 to May 1 some years back, that is a claim that maybe 35-40% of players can make, so you're not saying anything noteworthy.

Worse, it comes across as some excuse for non-performance or at least, for less-than-stellar performance. "Sure, Joey's hitting .450 and Billy's hitting .280, but Billy is only a 14u kid really."

That kind of talk is for parents in middle school and younger ages. Once you get to high school, all anyone cares about is your class year.

I agree. But what about the flip side of that age change? A lot of kids got to play another year on the small field (Little League All Stars for example) and the reason why a lot of 2014’s appear on 15U rosters (same for 16U etc) when you look at the WWBA tourneys.
Having increasingly older kids on the Little League diamond may have helped the core constituency of LL, that being the purely recreational player, in some sense. My personal take on it was that it was foolhardy and dangerous to put more and more big kids on that diamond, with baseballs whistling around faster and faster off kids' bats, etc. Everyone else at that age level was in the process of moving to 50/70 dimensions, but for some reason LL went the opposite direction.

The aging date change was part of a move to align everyone, in stages, with the international competition practice of using January 1. Meaning, someday they're going to move it again. I just hope when they do so, they also force "12's" (by that standard at that point) to play on a bigger diamond.

It certainly doesn't help a 7th grader to play at 46/60 dimensions -- at least, not a kid who's looking to play for his middle school or high school team.

As for why you have 2014's on 15u rosters, I don't doubt that happens but I suspect it has more to do with a desire to win than anything else. That and the fact that 14-15 is the transition period where youth travel team players move to high school exposure-oriented ball and maybe some haven't completed the transition yet.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
quote:
That and the fact that 14-15 is the transition period where youth travel team players move to high school exposure-oriented ball and maybe some haven't completed the transition yet.

Don't overlook puberty, the growth spurt, and general physicality, i.e., many boys have not yet transitioned into the bigger bodies.
My son, Craig, plays for the 15U RISE Baseball Team. Most of that roster consists of 2014 grad's. While this summer (and last fall) we will play the vast majority of our events against older competition, when we go to the PG WWBA in East Cobb we will play at 15U. I will only speak in regards to my child, but I thought it better for him to compete nationally at his age group THEN prove he can compete with the older kids in the region where he is most likley to go to college. He is late to hit his growth spurt, having been a 5'7" 130 pound freshman to nowa 5'11" 160 pound soph with more to come.

Midlo I agree with your earlier point that age group eligibility does not matter when they get between the lines. The expectation has to be if you are playing, you need to deliver. However, I think it is a relevent point when evaluating HS underclassmen. Without that info, how does one project a player. Rich, PIS, compared Reid Leonard and Jack Gerstenmeir. Ried is at least a year younger and a grad class behind, at his age i think it still makes a difference.
Just saw this Tweet

AAProspects ‏ @AAProspects
"Another Prospect commits...Congrats to Thomas Szapucki (2015 LHP). He has committed to Univ of Florida. Last night at West Boca, Thomas ..."

Thought ya'll would get a kick out of that.

If you aren't familiar with the All-America Prospects they are based out of Miami. They had 2 1st rounders in 2010. 1 word...Legit. I have not researched this kid. Don't know anything about him.

The debate is still out there though...would you let your 2015 grad make a college commitment?

Or vice versa, if you were a coach would you make a verbal offer to a 2015?

Rich
www.playinschool.com

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.