Skip to main content

I'd point out that previous generations were legally allowed to drink and smoke at 18.  They were not breaking the law by doing that.  If you have laws, and then wink at people who break them, you are raising a generation that has no respect for the law or for people in authority (such as coaches).  Don't then complain when those people break laws or rules and then claim they are unfair, and yes, that happens on both sides equally.  If a college coach says, "don't party" in the year of COVID, and players party anyway, or if the coach says "don't drink the night before a game" and they do anyway, that is exactly what I mean.  If a college student has signed a pledge not do do certain things because of COVID, and breaks that pledge, that is a moral failing.  Someone - their parents?  society? - has failed to teach them to keep their word, and instead told them, just do what you want, because it's a bad rule. 

I'd point out that previous generations were legally allowed to drink and smoke at 18.  They were not breaking the law by doing that.  If you have laws, and then wink at people who break them, you are raising a generation that has no respect for the law or for people in authority (such as coaches).  Don't then complain when those people break laws or rules and then claim they are unfair, and yes, that happens on both sides equally.  If a college coach says, "don't party" in the year of COVID, and players party anyway, or if the coach says "don't drink the night before a game" and they do anyway, that is exactly what I mean.  If a college student has signed a pledge not do do certain things because of COVID, and breaks that pledge, that is a moral failing.  Someone - their parents?  society? - has failed to teach them to keep their word, and instead told them, just do what you want, because it's a bad rule. 

IMO your premise is flawed, the Covid standard is wrong and unreasonable. It is similar to the no child left behind law...you make whatever stupid law you want but it won't, can't and never will be followed across the board. 

So drinking was fine before prohibition...but then was bad...until it was deemed to be ok at 18...until some insurance company realized it could saves millions by getting the age raised to 21...so now it is immoral before 21 but fine after....cause it is a law. Got it. Chasing girls...is there an age restriction there?

Someone - their parents?  society? - has failed to teach them to keep their word, and instead told them, just do what you want, because it's a bad rule. 

If we never stood up to or pointed out "bad rules", where would we be?  I'm not referencing these particular rules, but there have been some really bad rules.  Some are in effect now, some we have changed laws on, but there are, in fact, bad rules.  Many heroes throughout history were rule breakers.

Last edited by baseballhs

Oh hell yeah! (cough, cough, uses cane to get up) FREEBIRD! PLAY FREEBIRD!

@baseballhs posted:

If we never stood up to or pointed out "bad rules", where would we be?  I'm not referencing these particular rules, but there have been some really bad rules.  Some are in effect now, some we have changed laws on, but there are, in fact, bad rules.  Many heroes throughout history were rule breakers.

But not oath breakers.  You cut out the part of anotherparent's hypothetical that said the boys had signed a pledge to the coach that they would not do certain things because of Covid.   

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.