Skip to main content

OK, #5 Georgia has Jake Fromm.  But they also had Justin Fields, who is now the QB at #2 Ohio State… who also had Joe Burrow, who is now the QB at #1 LSU.  #4 Alabama has Tua, but they also had Jalen Hurts who is now the QB at #9 Oklahoma.  Oh, and #3 Clemson had Kelly Bryant go 17-2 and lead them to the CFP playoff but transferred to Mizzou because Trevor Lawrence won out for the starting spot.

Have we ever seen anything remotely close to this?  I'm kinda surprised this doesn't get more media play.  Anyone remember anything like this in college baseball?

Last edited by cabbagedad
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure if it has happened in college baseball, but I think these things are followed and tracked more in college football. I also think that you will start to see it more and more as more schools continue the trend of over-signing. 

There is only 1 starting QB on a team, so that player can tell early on if a transfer is going to be best for him. Much different in baseball. Those top 10 prospect kids will most certainly make the spring roster and can move around to other positions (except catchers). It takes those top tier players a bit longer to see whether a transfer is their best option.

IMO, in college baseball the movement is more likely to occur with players that aren’t on athletic scholarship since they no longer have to sit out a year before being able to play at their new school. The risk seems to fall to teams in D1 Conferences that don’t offer scholarships and/or any school that has a kid on no baseball $ that has a big year and could be lured away to another school w/ a scholarship offer. I know of this already happening with a few players. But nothing like what Cabbage described in college football and I don’t ever see college baseball being that affected. 

Cabbage - I sent the following to some friends on Saturday. One of these matchups could happens. 

“Burrow transferred from OSU, right?

OSU / LSU final.

Fields transferred from UGA.

OSU / UGA final.

I wonder how far Oklahoma will moves up? Hurts versus Bama is a playoff matchup?

This is why I prefer the four team playoff. Now it’s a mad scramble to make the final four. If it were eight teams Bama fans wouldn’t be sweating this.”

hshuler posted:

Cabbage - I sent the following to some friends on Saturday. One of these matchups could happens. 

“Burrow transferred from OSU, right?

OSU / LSU final.

Fields transferred from UGA.

OSU / UGA final.

I wonder how far Oklahoma will moves up? Hurts versus Bama is a playoff matchup?

This is why I prefer the four team playoff. Now it’s a mad scramble to make the final four. If it were eight teams Bama fans wouldn’t be sweating this.”

Yeah, crazy.  The final four can have two OSU QB's and two Bama QB's or two Georgia QB's.  Also a testament that those perennial powers are definitely recruiting the top players year after year and recruiting some serious depth in the key positions.  I know it's sort of a chicken-or-the-egg but... 

Don’t be surprised if Alabama is excluded from the playoffs. They haven’t beaten a ranked team this season. They only play one more (at Auburn). Alabama is in the same division as LSU who holds the tie breaker. It would be hard to argue in support of Alabama with one win over a ranked program (assuming they beat ranked Auburn) and not getting to their conference championship.

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:

Don’t be surprised if Alabama is excluded from the playoffs. They haven’t beaten a ranked team this season. They only play one more (at Auburn). Alabama is in the same division as LSU who holds the tie breaker. It would be hard to argue in support of Alabama with one win over a ranked program (assuming they beat ranked Auburn) and not getting to their conference championship.

If Georgia wins their remaining regular season games but loses to LSU is the SEC championship game. Bama will get in and play LSU again. Which would make me very happy!☺️

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.