Skip to main content

I know this is a question that can be answered many different ways. However, what type of hitters do college coaches recruit? I am sure there are many factors such a dimensions of the home ball park, style of play, etc. I have been watching some college baseball lately and it seems to me a lot of balls are flying out of the park. I know gap to gap hitters have always been important. Is there a trend to recruit power hitters now?

I know that is a general statement and the BBCOR might say something about it too, I guess I am looking to know is college baseball becoming more of a power game?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are plenty of players in today's college game who are key contributors without big HR numbers.  Similar to what PABaseball said, hitters are recruited that have consistently proven themselves against the equivalent of college level pitching.  To do so typically requires all or most of the following... a good approach, a few key mechanical boxes checked, a competitor's mindset, athletic ability, the right competitive environment over time, the ability to adjust, teachability and work ethic.

Last edited by cabbagedad

I assume you’re asking on behalf of your son. What you see at the elite levels of D1 (the post season tournament) is not representative of all college baseball. But at every level coaches want solid contact. Having a high batting average in high school ball doesn’t matter in recruiting unless you’re making hard contact.

Dinking and dunking hits and outrunning mediocre high school infield arms will not impress college coaches. They project a hitter’s swing against the pitching velocity of the college competition they compete against.

Currently at the D1 level due to extended Covid eligibility and a ten round draft  there are many 23yo and 24yo players who normally would have run out of eligibility by now. As UCLA coach John Savage said recently, “There’s a lot of “man” power in college baseball with all the physically developed older players.”

Last edited by RJM

When you say "college", remember there are more than 1,500 college baseball teams in the U.S. You will see every type of hitter in that large of a group.

I don't talk to college coaches, but I've seen the results a lot of recruiting. I would say it boils down to the combination of two things... hitting the ball hard and hitting the ball often. College coaches want to see how the ball comes off of your bat. I picture it on a graph. If you can hit the ball 450', you can miss more. If you square up every FB but never above 100 EV, that can also play.

@PABaseball posted:

They like guys who crush the ball and consistently hit quality pitching on the summer circuit

All that is true. Of course. But the summer circuit has gotten extremely watered down and college coaches know that. The (what are believed to be) elite HS hitters don’t regularly face the (what are believed to be) elite HS pitchers on a regular basis anymore. It is a random occurrence or a big event when that happens. Either way it’s too small of a sample size. IMO, based on how ordinary travel ball has become, the best indicator of how good a HS hitter actually is can be seen in district play in HS - IF it is a very competitive district. In Texas there are 6 -8 6A districts where hitters face a college bound arm every Tuesday & Friday night. If a player stands out in those districts, especially for 2 years or more, that is a very good indicator that he will be a good hitter in college. I have seen this with my own eyes consistently over the past six years.

@adbono posted:

All that is true. Of course. But the summer circuit has gotten extremely watered down and college coaches know that. The (what are believed to be) elite HS hitters don’t regularly face the (what are believed to be) elite HS pitchers on a regular basis anymore. It is a random occurrence or a big event when that happens. Either way it’s too small of a sample size. IMO, based on how ordinary travel ball has become, the best indicator of how good a HS hitter actually is can be seen in district play in HS - IF it is a very competitive district. In Texas there are 6 -8 6A districts where hitters face a college bound arm every Tuesday & Friday night. If a player stands out in those districts, especially for 2 years or more, that is a very good indicator that he will be a good hitter in college. I have seen this with my own eyes consistently over the past six years.

Well yes that is true. That is where the network of vetted coaches and orgs comes into play which all of the teams that made the tournament pretty much exclusively recruit from.

Can't speak to district play because that is not a thing in my area. If you want to get recruited around here you better play for somebody connected

@PABaseball posted:

Well yes that is true. That is where the network of vetted coaches and orgs comes into play which all of the teams that made the tournament pretty much exclusively recruit from.

Can't speak to district play because that is not a thing in my area. If you want to get recruited around here you better play for somebody connected

The connection is always the most important thing.

I have come around to the idea a few things are really important to be recognized as a potential D1/JUCO/Strong D2 hitter, since travel ball pitching and most HS is so watered down.

1. Weight / Strength - 5'10" player that does not play a speed position needs to be 190 - 200 and the taller the heavier. Must be really strong and flexible.

2. Swing mechanics must be pure like a swing on the PGA Tour. Everybody swings differently, but the best reach the same points in the swing. The mannerisms and approach might be different, but there are certain things all good hitters or do well. I think good mechanics generate better contact/ball flight and consistency

3. Since travel ball is watered down, be effective against facing a hitting coach or good pitcher that can throw multiple pitches with movement or off speed in a cage or practice area.

I don't know any other way a good hitter can be evaluated if they are not playing in some sort of area code games or PG National type event. Maybe high school districts / playoff games. I am no expert, but and don't have all the answers, just a couple ideas.

Friend of mine growing up is an assistant head college at a local mid-major where I use to live. You will occasionally find him at HS games during playoffs to check in a few guys that he has his eyes on (the whole cream rises to the top thing). Paraphrasing his word's, "The hardest thing to figure out has really nothing to do with talent (the perfect swing as you mentioned), and everything to do with the right mental make-up." He looks for grinders with a fun, competitive, and respectful personality.   

My contacts with the pro scouts provide an opportunity to keep current and active. Several years the Pro Scouts requested that I watch 2 HS hitters.

Two hours before the game I was at the Baseball Field. Watching the player's body language as he prepared for the game. How did he study the opposing pitcher in the bullpen, interact in the dugout with his teammates, what were his eyes focus on? Did he have a cell phone On?

Interview with his classmates as to type of student and background. ID the parents, where do they sit? If possible I will learn what Summer programs did he play? Did he play as a 15 year old with the 17- 18 year olds.

During the game, I evaluate his swing and adjustments, position in the batter's box and "on deck" circle. WITHOUT WOOD BAT I cannot tell the "sound" of impact.

Both players had great careers in College and now each playing 1b in the MLB.

Bob

Santa Rosa, CA "founder" of the AC games

@Consultant posted:

My contacts with the pro scouts provide an opportunity to keep current and active. Several years the Pro Scouts requested that I watch 2 HS hitters.

Two hours before the game I was at the Baseball Field. Watching the player's body language as he prepared for the game. How did he study the opposing pitcher in the bullpen, interact in the dugout with his teammates, what were his eyes focus on? Did he have a cell phone On?

Interview with his classmates as to type of student and background. ID the parents, where do they sit? If possible I will learn what Summer programs did he play? Did he play as a 15 year old with the 17- 18 year olds.

During the game, I evaluate his swing and adjustments, position in the batter's box and "on deck" circle. WITHOUT WOOD BAT I cannot tell the "sound" of impact.

Both players had great careers in College and now each playing 1b in the MLB.

Bob

Santa Rosa, CA "founder" of the AC games

Does the location of where parents sit really provide insight?

Yes, the location provides a parent the tools to successfully discuss the post game with the player. If they sit with other parents the focus’s is different. Scouts when they evaluate a hitter will watch each AB from different angles. The 6 Tool is also evaluated.

Did you know that Willie Mays directed the position of  the Giants infielders from his CF. He studied the hitter and moved the Giants fielders.

Bob

Last edited by Consultant

Power definitely helps and the college game got centered more towards power and three true outcomes but you still need to be able to hit, if you occasionally hit one out but you hit 0.160 that is not going to play.

Generally if you can hit there is a spot for you to play albeit it might not be at a powerhouse program but of course power, speed and defensive ability do help.

But hit tool is still the most important tool

Friend of mine growing up is an assistant head college at a local mid-major where I use to live. You will occasionally find him at HS games during playoffs to check in a few guys that he has his eyes on (the whole cream rises to the top thing). Paraphrasing his word's, "The hardest thing to figure out has really nothing to do with talent (the perfect swing as you mentioned), and everything to do with the right mental make-up." He looks for grinders with a fun, competitive, and respectful personality.   

My ideas / thoughts were more on the physical side of things. Yes, I agree the mental side needs to be extremely sharp. Toughness, competitiveness, grinder, student of the game, ability to observe, etc.

Sometimes I see kids out there that are 5'7 - 5'8 that weight 150 - 160 with not the best of swings, but are  scrappy and get the job done. They always find a way to get on base and yes they are dink and dunkers with the occasional double, but they have a lot of fight in them. However, I don't see them getting an opportunity at a high JUCO or even mid-major D1. I guess maybe at a small D1, but I think you get my point.

Pretty much sums up a good JUCO/D1/High D2 need to have the total package. Physical size and strength, good swing, be able to hit off speed and pitches that move, be mentally tough, want to compete and grind. Can not afford to be missing anything.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.