Skip to main content

I have some anecdotal observations that may be relevant in this thread related to the overlapping talent, specifically between D1 and D2. My son was a part of two college baseball programs - Mercer University, D1, Southern Conference and Georgia College D2, Peach Belt Conference. I'd say Mercer is a solid to very good mid major. They have several wins over ACC and SEC schools - beat Florida a couple years ago when UF was #1, Mercer had Kyle Lewis the Golden Spikes winner and AL Rookie of the Year, and probably  average having 2 or 3 guys drafted a year. Georgia College is a good D2 baseball school that is pretty regularly nationally ranked, beat #1 Tampa U last year, and probably averages about 1 guy a year drafted.

Some generalizations based on being familiar with the programs for several years. Georgia College has had many position players that could have started or gotten regular playing time at Mercer. Some years as many as 3 or 4 GC position players were as good or better than Mercer starters. Most of the Mercer starting position players would start or play regularly at GC. In general the position players who do not start regularly at Mercer are measurably more talented than the position players who do not start at GC. In any given year GC would likely have three or four pitchers who could get significant innings at Mercer. It would be unlikely that any of them would be in the top 2 on the staff. Very close to all of the pitchers at Mercer would be able to contribute significantly if they were at GC and multiple guys would be considered an ace or top of the staff guys.

All good observations and you don’t describe an isolated case IMO. I think those things would apply in general when discussing the differences between D1 & D2. The really good D2 players are better than many people realize but the rosters (especially the pitching staffs) don’t have the depth in quality that you see on good D1 teams.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.