Skip to main content

jacjacatk posted:
roothog66 posted:
bballman posted:

2017, if this question was one of many socio economic questions, I would say yes. Being that is was the ONLY socio economic question, it raises a flag to me. I did not go through the common applications linked in this thread, but I would guess that there were many other questions asked on those forms.  

That's a big "if." Personally I have trouble believing the story is complete. We all know how well 16 year olds relay information. It could also be that this kid mistakenly stumbled into a recruiter that was there specifically for the LGBTQ community the same way very specific groups like ROTC and different organizations based on race or interests will visit schools and he didn't know it. Again, my experience with 16yo boys doesn't reinforce confidence in their ability to recognize or recall specifics.

However, back to more important subjects - broccoli sucks.

Are you serious?

Roasted broccoli is awesome.

If you're out of brussel sprouts, I guess a few broccoli crowns will do.

Actually broccoli is one of the "greens" (outside of guacamole) that my kid will willingly eat.

TPM posted:

Shaved brussel sprouts.  Stir fry with your favorite sauce and spices. Mine are trader Joe's 21 salute seasoning and Gia Russa balsamic glaze.  Throw in matchstick carrots for some added sweetness.

Yeah, I've not had that TJ's seasoning but shaved, sauteed with olive oil, then just after you plate it drizzle with some balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with a bunch of grated parmesan.  Really good.

A little crumbled bacon wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited by JCG
JCG posted:
TPM posted:

Shaved brussel sprouts.  Stir fry with your favorite sauce and spices. Mine are trader Joe's 21 salute seasoning and Gia Russa balsamic glaze.  Throw in matchstick carrots for some added sweetness.

Yeah, I've not had that TJ's seasoning but shaved, sauteed with olive oil, then just after you plate it drizzle with some balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with a bunch of grated parmesan.  Really good.

Yeah that's another version, thanks.  No bacon or cheese in this house though.

TJ seasoning the best, no salt.

TPM posted:
JCG posted:
TPM posted:

Yeah that's another version, thanks.  No bacon or cheese in this house though.

TJ seasoning the best, no salt.

I feel like this is a similar conversation I have had about Grits.  My opinion is if you have to Doctor the things up nine ways from Sunday to make them edible just accept they taste bad and move along to a more distinguished food like the heavenly avocado which can NOT be served in a bad way ;- )

2017LHPscrewball posted:

Then when a 16 year old decided he doesn't like how a school represented itself and would prefer to look at one of the other thousand schools available to him you say dad should step in. Sit him down, order him to rethink etc.  guidance is always good for our kids.

In other words, turn your 16 yo loose and ask him nicely to report back when he gets finished with some minor details of where he is attending on how it is getting paid for.  Maybe have an interesting talk by the fire his junior year about how he whittled down his thousands of choices to this one and sit back, warm your feet by the fire and congratulate him on a job well done.  

I must have a defective child cause that would not work in our household.  Kind of like when he burns popcorn in the microwave.  Directions say heat on high for 3-5 minutes - depending on wattage.  Kid sticks in in for 5 minutes and seems baffled as to why its burnt.  I'm not going to start cooking his popcorn, but I'll take this opportunity to explain the directions and let him know he's dealing with some higher wattages.  Better that than him going around the rest of his life saying that microwave burnt everything he put in it.

On a serous note, no kid realistically starts out with 1,000 college options.  For various reasons - excluding baseball - that number is probably no bigger than 100 max.  Throw in some baseball and the number maybe drops to 10 once things get serious.  Would hate to cross off one of those possible 10 on day one cause some guy is wearing too much jewelry.  If you don't think that is a reasonable piece of guidance to offer your son, then by all means let him decide.  I would think it would be a valuable piece of guidance.

If you read again I think you will find that my point was tongue in cheek because ao many of us have been told so many times to backmoutmof our kids decisions. I very clearly state that parental advice is a good thing. However you are ignoring the fact that maybe the parents agree!  And it's not for any of us to say where this kid should feel comfortable!  And I simply 100% disagree that your choices are as limited as you think.  True I suppose if you were the absolute lowest of the low ability wise and you insist on playing baseball somewhere. And I don't know how much more clear I can be on this but YES if he is down to 10 and he feels uncomfortable with one he should be down to 9!  I don't know why you would want me to say something different!

2020dad posted:

Assuming the questionnaire is as stated here it is an innapropriate question. Period. However if it was in the context of accommodating folks (maybe to know if you should be housed where there are transgender bathrooms?) perhaps it would be different.  However what is in that questionnaire very much outlines the general philosophy of the school. If the young man is uncomfortable with that why does he not have a right to those feelings?  He just doesn't want to go there. He didn't say he wants to go and bash members of that community or spend his life fighting against their causes. Just that this school ain't for him. Big deal. As for the 'calling names'...  Who gets to decide what is offensive?  I don't think there are a whole lot of folks that want to be called white trash but I don't see crusades against that. How about the term 'Jesus freak'. Hear it all the time. Gonna tell me that's not offensive??  But we're gonna freak out over flaming???  And who can keep up?  I just heard on TV last night that the term 'Oriental' is now offensive. I have a reasonable IQ and a college degree and I had no idea. I still don't understand why. Shall we post an updated list monthly on a news bulletin or something?  "Beep...   Beep... Beep.  This is a message from the emergency PC broadcasting system.  The following words are being added to the banished list...  For the complete list of disallowed words please go to www.PC.gov.  We now return to our regularly scheduled liberal programming."

The fact you didn't know that "Oriental" is offensive isn't a problem with others...it's you. It has been considered that for years.

bballman posted:

I think asking if you are LBGTQ is beyond asking for gender - M/F. It is asking for your bedroom preferences. In my opinion, that is no one's business. Especially asking that of a 16 year old. 

Of course, these days, male and female seems to be an ambiguous concept. What has happened in our society if we can't even determine between male and female??  And what's with the Q anyway?  I guess it stands for questionable?  Wouldn't the B take care of that?  Man...

i really think all this is being taken too far. Laws being made for less than 3% of the population that may (and does in many cases) offend 97% of the population. I've got nothing against LGBTQ people. What people do in the bedroom is their own business. But, keep it to yourself. I don't feel a need to run around telling everyone I'm heterosexual. If you ask me, having someone fill out a questionnaire asking Name, Adress, Age, Grade and are you LBGTQ is just a little bizarre. Maybe if there were a bunch of other socio economic stuff as well, it might be ok. But, with just that one question with a couple other general things, something else is going on. 

The amount of ignorance in this post...

First off, gender and sex are not the same. Thus, it's not a matter of "telling between male and female" because those are not the be-all and end-all.

And Q stands for queer. That has nothing to do with sex or gender.

Thirdly, bisexuality does not mean "questionable" or "questioning" or anything like that. It means that the person has attraction of some sort to multiple genders.

And you really don't get the idea of how laws need to work. If someone has a problem with laws to protect minorities, they are the problem. 

If you wish, I can get into graphic stories of how I or several of my past partners have been the victims of anti-LGBTQ violence. Then maybe you can see why these laws and an understanding of sexual and gender identity are necessary.

Matt13 posted:
2020dad posted:

Assuming the questionnaire is as stated here it is an innapropriate question. Period. However if it was in the context of accommodating folks (maybe to know if you should be housed where there are transgender bathrooms?) perhaps it would be different.  However what is in that questionnaire very much outlines the general philosophy of the school. If the young man is uncomfortable with that why does he not have a right to those feelings?  He just doesn't want to go there. He didn't say he wants to go and bash members of that community or spend his life fighting against their causes. Just that this school ain't for him. Big deal. As for the 'calling names'...  Who gets to decide what is offensive?  I don't think there are a whole lot of folks that want to be called white trash but I don't see crusades against that. How about the term 'Jesus freak'. Hear it all the time. Gonna tell me that's not offensive??  But we're gonna freak out over flaming???  And who can keep up?  I just heard on TV last night that the term 'Oriental' is now offensive. I have a reasonable IQ and a college degree and I had no idea. I still don't understand why. Shall we post an updated list monthly on a news bulletin or something?  "Beep...   Beep... Beep.  This is a message from the emergency PC broadcasting system.  The following words are being added to the banished list...  For the complete list of disallowed words please go to www.PC.gov.  We now return to our regularly scheduled liberal programming."

The fact you didn't know that "Oriental" is offensive isn't a problem with others...it's you. It has been considered that for years.

So is this me stirring things up again? Oh wait no I haven't directly addressed anyone on this thread and called them "the problem" or "ignorant". That was you...  Why is umpiring just so perfect for your personality...

2020dad posted:
Matt13 posted:
2020dad posted:

So is this me stirring things up again? Oh wait no I haven't directly addressed anyone on this thread and called them "the problem" or "ignorant". That was you...  Why is umpiring just so perfect for your personality...

well said.

coach2709 posted:

Not trying to be a jerk or start anything but due to the fact I know maybe 3 Asian people I guess I missed the fact that Oriental was offensive.  When did it happen and why is it offensive?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/oriental

Essentially, because it's often used pejoratively, or in reference to stereotypical portrayals of Asian groups in western media (see, for example, WW II propoganda).

jacjacatk posted:
coach2709 posted:

Not trying to be a jerk or start anything but due to the fact I know maybe 3 Asian people I guess I missed the fact that Oriental was offensive.  When did it happen and why is it offensive?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/oriental

Essentially, because it's often used pejoratively, or in reference to stereotypical portrayals of Asian groups in western media (see, for example, WW II propoganda).

This conversation reminds me of that scene in the movie Clueless.

Cher: Lucy, the fire department called again. They said we need to clear out that bush. You said you'd get Jose to do it.
Lucy: He your gardener, I don't know why you no tell him.
Cher: Lucy, you know I don't speak Mexican.
Lucy: I NOT A MEXICAN.
Lucy: [storms off]
Cher: Great, what was that all about?
Josh: Lucy's from El Salvador.
Cher: So?
Josh: So, it's an entirely different country.
Cher: What does that matter?
Josh: You get mad if anyone thinks you live below Sunset.

coach2709 posted:

obviously you are insensitive and should be doing monthly research to find out the proper terminology for all minority groups, the fact these are ever changing terms and that not all minorities agree is not relevant. You are obligated to stay current to what the self righteous wantabe ruling class decides is appropriate.

get with the times sir!!

old_school posted:
coach2709 posted:

obviously you are insensitive and should be doing monthly research to find out the proper terminology for all minority groups, the fact these are ever changing terms and that not all minorities agree is not relevant. You are obligated to stay current to what the self righteous wantabe ruling class decides is appropriate.

get with the times sir!!

Literally literally means figuratively now.  Irregardless is actually a word.  Language changes through usage and so does meaning.

Does that maybe mean we should allow a little leeway for people who still use some term where the words had different/less offensive meanings in the past, sure.  But it doesn't mean we get to ignore the meaning of the words now, either. 

Matt13 posted:
bballman posted:

I think asking if you are LBGTQ is beyond asking for gender - M/F. It is asking for your bedroom preferences. In my opinion, that is no one's business. Especially asking that of a 16 year old. 

Of course, these days, male and female seems to be an ambiguous concept. What has happened in our society if we can't even determine between male and female??  And what's with the Q anyway?  I guess it stands for questionable?  Wouldn't the B take care of that?  Man...

i really think all this is being taken too far. Laws being made for less than 3% of the population that may (and does in many cases) offend 97% of the population. I've got nothing against LGBTQ people. What people do in the bedroom is their own business. But, keep it to yourself. I don't feel a need to run around telling everyone I'm heterosexual. If you ask me, having someone fill out a questionnaire asking Name, Adress, Age, Grade and are you LBGTQ is just a little bizarre. Maybe if there were a bunch of other socio economic stuff as well, it might be ok. But, with just that one question with a couple other general things, something else is going on. 

First off, gender and sex are not the same. Thus, it's not a matter of "telling between male and female" because those are not the be-all and end-all.  Did you read my post?  I specifically said asking for LGBTQ status was different than asking for gender.

And Q stands for queer. That has nothing to do with sex or gender.  When I do a google search for LGBTQ meaning, I get two definitions - one is queer, one is questionable.

Thirdly, bisexuality does not mean "questionable" or "questioning" or anything like that. It means that the person has attraction of some sort to multiple genders.  Isn't being bisexual having an attraction of some sort to multiple genders?  How many more genders are there?

And you really don't get the idea of how laws need to work. If someone has a problem with laws to protect minorities, they are the problem.   I expressed in another response that there ARE laws for this.  It's called assault and battery.  Assault is a verbal threat, battery is physically harming another person.  Why do there have to be separate laws that differentiate between those laws and those for someone with some sexual preference?  If the current laws are upheld, they also apply to LGBTQ.

If you wish, I can get into graphic stories of how I or several of my past partners have been the victims of anti-LGBTQ violence. Then maybe you can see why these laws and an understanding of sexual and gender identity are necessary.  What I said above applies.  If you or your past partners were victims, it was wrong.  But, there are laws in place for that now.  The person or people who did that can and should be prosecuted under the existing laws.  If they weren't, the application of those laws needs to be upheld, but the laws are there already.

Last edited by bballman

My final word on this unless blindsided!  I guess you reach a certain age and you are exhausted from all this. Just can't keep up and not sure how much you care to. I have never been mean or hurtful to another person just because of race, sexual preference etc.  But at the same time the PC stuff does get a little silly. I don't need the PC police to tell me how to be nice to another person. And for the record I am an Italian, Irish & German guy. Feel free to call me a wop, mick or kraut cause really I just don't care. My self worth is not attached to what anybody but my family thinks of me. Cracker?  Fine. Hillbilly?  Go ahead. Red neck!  Sure why not. Call me whatever you like. Cause it's the intent that counts. You could call me no bad names and we could still have an issue with each other if I feel attacked or threatened. It's not the words it's the intent behind the words.  As for the oriental thing.  History must have changed since I taught it. I don't remember anything I read or any documentary or anything that pejoratively used the term oriental.  

2020dad posted:
Matt13 posted:
2020dad posted:

There you go again with the snark. I'm beginning to think that you're actually 2020, and not the dad.

bballman posted:
Matt13 posted:
bballman posted:

First off, gender and sex are not the same. Thus, it's not a matter of "telling between male and female" because those are not the be-all and end-all.  Did you read my post?  I specifically said asking for LGBTQ status was different than asking for gender.

And Q stands for queer. That has nothing to do with sex or gender.  When I do a google search for LGBTQ meaning, I get two definitions - one is queer, one is questionable.

Thirdly, bisexuality does not mean "questionable" or "questioning" or anything like that. It means that the person has attraction of some sort to multiple genders.  Isn't being bisexual having an attraction of some sort to multiple genders?  How many more genders are there?

And you really don't get the idea of how laws need to work. If someone has a problem with laws to protect minorities, they are the problem.   I expressed in another response that there ARE laws for this.  It's called assault and battery.  Assault is a verbal threat, battery is physically harming another person.  Why do there have to be separate laws that differentiate between those laws and those for someone with some sexual preference?  If the current laws are upheld, they also apply to LGBTQ.

If you wish, I can get into graphic stories of how I or several of my past partners have been the victims of anti-LGBTQ violence. Then maybe you can see why these laws and an understanding of sexual and gender identity are necessary.  What I said above applies.  If you or your past partners were victims, it was wrong.  But, there are laws in place for that now.  The person or people who did that can and should be prosecuted under the existing laws.  If they weren't, the application of those laws needs to be upheld, but the laws are there already.

How to answer without chopping up the post...

1. LGBTQ status does encompass asking gender identity.

2. I've never seeing anything that defines the Q as "questionable." That doesn't mean that you didn't find it...I just find it really interesting. The one thing I can think of is that sometimes asexuality is viewed as "questionable" and falls under queer, but that's a mischaracterization of it.

3. There are multiple genders and multiple expressions involving male, female, both, or neither. For example, my partner is bigender, which means that they identify as female sometimes, and male sometimes. This is not something that is controllable and when they are in their male phase (being biologically female,) it is very emotionally painful.

4. Hate crimes are different from other crimes in that the goal is to inculcate fear in a population (akin to terrorism.) A couple of guys in a bar fight are not intending to cause fear to every other person who ever sets foot in a bar.

Matt13, here's one example:

What does the 'Q' stand for?

Q can mean either 'questioning' or 'queer,' Fred Sainz, a spokesman for the Human Rights Campaign, an organization that lobbies for LGBT rights, told USA TODAY Network. Either interpretation is accepted, he said.

Here is the source:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/...er-meaning/26925563/

As for the other information you provided, it gets pretty confusing to me...  There is more I can say, but in the interest of keeping things civil, I think I'll kind of leave the topic alone for now.  To each his or her own (are you allowed to say his or her anymore?).  I just think every individual needs to strive to feel comfortable with who they are.  Whether it has to do with sexual identity, athletic ability or lack thereof, body image, looks, whatever.  I just don't think it's the responsibility of society or the government to take the responsibility for that.  

I really do wish you well...

2020dad posted:
2017LHPscrewball posted:

Then when a 16 year old decided he doesn't like how a school represented itself and would prefer to look at one of the other thousand schools available to him you say dad should step in. Sit him down, order him to rethink etc.  guidance is always good for our kids.

In other words, turn your 16 yo loose and ask him nicely to report back when he gets finished with some minor details of where he is attending on how it is getting paid for.  Maybe have an interesting talk by the fire his junior year about how he whittled down his thousands of choices to this one and sit back, warm your feet by the fire and congratulate him on a job well done.  

I must have a defective child cause that would not work in our household.  Kind of like when he burns popcorn in the microwave.  Directions say heat on high for 3-5 minutes - depending on wattage.  Kid sticks in in for 5 minutes and seems baffled as to why its burnt.  I'm not going to start cooking his popcorn, but I'll take this opportunity to explain the directions and let him know he's dealing with some higher wattages.  Better that than him going around the rest of his life saying that microwave burnt everything he put in it.

On a serous note, no kid realistically starts out with 1,000 college options.  For various reasons - excluding baseball - that number is probably no bigger than 100 max.  Throw in some baseball and the number maybe drops to 10 once things get serious.  Would hate to cross off one of those possible 10 on day one cause some guy is wearing too much jewelry.  If you don't think that is a reasonable piece of guidance to offer your son, then by all means let him decide.  I would think it would be a valuable piece of guidance.

If you read again I think you will find that my point was tongue in cheek because ao many of us have been told so many times to backmoutmof our kids decisions. I very clearly state that parental advice is a good thing. However you are ignoring the fact that maybe the parents agree!  And it's not for any of us to say where this kid should feel comfortable!  And I simply 100% disagree that your choices are as limited as you think.  True I suppose if you were the absolute lowest of the low ability wise and you insist on playing baseball somewhere. And I don't know how much more clear I can be on this but YES if he is down to 10 and he feels uncomfortable with one he should be down to 9!  I don't know why you would want me to say something different!

You 100% disagree?  I'll give you that technically a kid may have 1,000+ options, so I guess you are technically correct.  However, if you want to have a more realistic conversation, I would say 100 "choices" early on is probably too high of a number.  Besides, are you really supposed to get a solid handle on the true environment of over 100 schools?  If you make snap judgments - say, based on an initial information card - then I suppose you could technically say you could vet 1,000+ schools (maybe strike them from the list if they use the Common Application - that would be efficient).  

As for the parents possibly agreeing, the dad says in his post that he wishes the kid would at least take a campus visit, I suppose so the kid can actually get a true feel for the school.  While people can be uncomfortable with schools for various reasons, I would argue that your comfort level should be based on material issues.  You continue to argue that you should have the choice to decide.  I have never argued against that, just pointed out that not every 16 yo is equipped to make their own life altering decision.

As for the number of choices when it includes baseball, again if your are Power 5 material, then technically I guess you could play at most JUCO, D2 and D3 programs, and therefore would have far more than 10 options - assuming you don't have any strong preference between Vanderbilt and LOCO JUCO when it comes to their baseball programs.  I tried to be somewhat precise and qualify that number with saying around 10 options when serious offers are considered.  If this kid ended up with 10 options - and the one he visited with is one of the 10 - who's to say that school may not actually be the best fit - if only the dad would tell the kid to grow up and do some real investigation.  You see to argue that deciding on a whim - or some arbitrary visit at the high school - represents sound, mature judgement.  I do disagree with that.

Trying to get back to real life issues and give my opinion as to how folks need to make decisions after rational thought.

2017LHPscrewball posted:
2020dad posted:
2017LHPscrewball posted:

You 100% disagree?  I'll give you that technically a kid may have 1,000+ options, so I guess you are technically correct.  However, if you want to have a more realistic conversation, I would say 100 "choices" early on is probably too high of a number.  Besides, are you really supposed to get a solid handle on the true environment of over 100 schools?  If you make snap judgments - say, based on an initial information card - then I suppose you could technically say you could vet 1,000+ schools (maybe strike them from the list if they use the Common Application - that would be efficient).  

As for the parents possibly agreeing, the dad says in his post that he wishes the kid would at least take a campus visit, I suppose so the kid can actually get a true feel for the school.  While people can be uncomfortable with schools for various reasons, I would argue that your comfort level should be based on material issues.  You continue to argue that you should have the choice to decide.  I have never argued against that, just pointed out that not every 16 yo is equipped to make their own life altering decision.

As for the number of choices when it includes baseball, again if your are Power 5 material, then technically I guess you could play at most JUCO, D2 and D3 programs, and therefore would have far more than 10 options - assuming you don't have any strong preference between Vanderbilt and LOCO JUCO when it comes to their baseball programs.  I tried to be somewhat precise and qualify that number with saying around 10 options when serious offers are considered.  If this kid ended up with 10 options - and the one he visited with is one of the 10 - who's to say that school may not actually be the best fit - if only the dad would tell the kid to grow up and do some real investigation.  You see to argue that deciding on a whim - or some arbitrary visit at the high school - represents sound, mature judgement.  I do disagree with that.

Trying to get back to real life issues and give my opinion as to how folks need to make decisions after rational thought.

There are successful people all over the country from a wide swath of schools. There are hundreds of great choices for college and yes even over 1000. Of course a sports choice can limit that and sometimes severely. I just can't understand why it would be so important to force feed one particular school down a kids throat even though he is uncomfortable with it FOR ANY REASON!  Why are you so invested in what this one kid decides with this one school. Personally I couldn't care less if he changes his mind and goes there or if he permanently crosses them off his list. First I don't even know the kid and second I simply wish him the best of luck and the best experience for HIM. It's not about me or anyone's agenda. It's about this one particular kid. And if he has an agenda that's his business and his right. I am flabbergasted that this is not crystal clear to everyone. we can not criticize a kids college choice based on our own social agenda. It is quite clear where I lean politically and right here an hour away is one of the most liberal campuses in America at UW Madison. I will be honest and say I prefer none of my kids go there. But if one decides that is the best fit for them I can GUARANTEE you right here and now I will not stand in the way. So long as this kid is not harming anyone it is completely within his rights to decide what he is comfortable with. And in no way shape or form are any of us qualified to say what is or is not a stupid move for him. And I repeat I have no dog in this race. If he changes his mind and goes there I won't call it stupid. If it's right for him then that's fantastic. If he sticks to his guns and never gives it another thought - also good for him if that is the right thing for him. And nobody has the right to call that stupid either. Good luck to the young man in finding his best fit!

2020dad posted:

There are successful people all over the country from a wide swath of schools. There are hundreds of great choices for college and yes even over 1000. Of course a sports choice can limit that and sometimes severely. I just can't understand why it would be so important to force feed one particular school down a kids throat even though he is uncomfortable with it FOR ANY REASON!  Why are you so invested in what this one kid decides with this one school. Personally I couldn't care less if he changes his mind and goes there or if he permanently crosses them off his list. First I don't even know the kid and second I simply wish him the best of luck and the best experience for HIM. It's not about me or anyone's agenda. It's about this one particular kid. And if he has an agenda that's his business and his right. I am flabbergasted that this is not crystal clear to everyone. we can not criticize a kids college choice based on our own social agenda. It is quite clear where I lean politically and right here an hour away is one of the most liberal campuses in America at UW Madison. I will be honest and say I prefer none of my kids go there. But if one decides that is the best fit for them I can GUARANTEE you right here and now I will not stand in the way. So long as this kid is not harming anyone it is completely within his rights to decide what he is comfortable with. And in no way shape or form are any of us qualified to say what is or is not a stupid move for him. And I repeat I have no dog in this race. If he changes his mind and goes there I won't call it stupid. If it's right for him then that's fantastic. If he sticks to his guns and never gives it another thought - also good for him if that is the right thing for him. And nobody has the right to call that stupid either. Good luck to the young man in finding his best fit!

All of that is fine, but the OP's already suggested that he'd like his son to actually consider the school, but that son wrote it off because of this single issue/experience. As his parent, I think OP should absolutely consider whether allowing a 16-year old to make that kind of snap decision might be counter-productive. 

My son chose the school he's attending essentially without my intervention in the final decision making process, but I did help him get started on the "what schools might be good fits" part of the process at the beginning (at the 60ish schools stage), and we talked at length about his process as he went through it so he'd have at least a sounding board.  IMO, OP is at the stage where crossing schools off a list is premature, especially if it's for reasons that are effectively superficial (in the sense that he's only had one interaction by which to judge them).

Last edited by jacjacatk

This discussion is getting ridiulous.

Here is a question.  14 year olds are committing to programs, why can't a 16 year old decide he doesn want to go visit a program?  

Besides, at this point he is just getting inquiries,  things might change if the coaches begin recruiting him seriously.

Once again, these questions are optional, but he was put in an uncomfortable situation.  The school does need to know what happened, thats the issue.

TPM posted:

Here is a question.  14 year olds are committing to programs, why can't a 16 year old decide he doesn want to go visit a program?  

Besides, at this point he is just getting inquiries,  things might change if the coaches begin recruiting him seriously.

Once again, these questions are optional, but he was put in an uncomfortable situation.  The school does need to know what happened, thats the issue.

I guess parenting styles can differ, but I'm not letting my 14-year old make life-changing decisions for himself right now (input on them, sure, the actual decision, not so much). I'd grant a fair bit more leeway to a 16/17-year old, but not without a lot of push back or discussion about the process.

Children, and this includes up to ages well into college-attendance, aren't fully cognitively developed. I realize that at age 18 we, as their parents, can't actually do much about that, but that doesn't mean we should abdicate all responsibility to teenagers where we do have more significant responsibilities as to their lives and life-choices.

jacjacatk posted:
TPM posted:

I guess parenting styles can differ, but I'm not letting my 14-year old make life-changing decisions for himself right now (input on them, sure, the actual decision, not so much). I'd grant a fair bit more leeway to a 16/17-year old, but not without a lot of push back or discussion about the process.

Children, and this includes up to ages well into college-attendance, aren't fully cognitively developed. I realize that at age 18 we, as their parents, can't actually do much about that, but that doesn't mean we should abdicate all responsibility to teenagers where we do have more significant responsibilities as to their lives and life-choices.

Conversely, if it is not THEIR choice they have no ownership in it.  Then when things don't work out there is a scapegoat in the form of mom and or dad who "made" them do this.

If it gets to a point where the kid won't choose a college because of many superfluous things then I think it's time for a talk, but what's the point in wasting everyone's time if the kid has made up his mind, regardless of why?  Okay, dad could push a visit.  Kid will go because dad wants him to, he will NOT have an open mind while there and ask multiple times how much longer he has to stay = everyone has now wasted time.

My son is 26 and he went to hs with students who were gay. What if your child was gay? Would this question make him more comfortable knowing it was a school that may have clubs or things for him to be comfortable with? 

I think most college campuses liberal or not will have gay populations. I think unless your attending a very conservative Christian college this may be the case. 

My son and his friends from his age group that I have talked to dont really have any issues with it. 

All any minority groups of color or sexual preference want to attend a school where they can enjoy their college experience and not face prejudice or shame. 

I have a gay family member and I am a Christian and it is difficult to understand that some people love differently than us. My goal is to love unconditionally and not make their sexuality really anything to discuss. It is who they are. 

I think moving forward like it or not this is our society and thank God they arent treated as badly as in the past. 

Teach your children to accept differences and judge people by their hearts.

CACO3GIRL, on the question of white people using the N word I highly recommend you check out the pilot of Donald Glover's new series "Atlanta."  Really good, and really funny.  If, like most boys his age, your son is a fan of Glover's rapper alter ego, Childish Gambino, he'll want to see it too. 

JCG posted:

CACO3GIRL, on the question of white people using the N word I highly recommend you check out the pilot of Donald Glover's new series "Atlanta."  Really good, and really funny.  If, like most boys his age, your son is a fan of Glover's rapper alter ego, Childish Gambino, he'll want to see it too. 

wow I never woulda thought I'd read Childish Gambino's name on this site...as I listened to 3005 this morning...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.