Skip to main content

Tomorrow and Sunday are our last intrasquad scrimmages before the real games start up a week from TODAY!

Can't wait for my first shot to get on the mound and erase any doubts about what I can do. I know where I can fit on our staff but I understand the dues to be paid on a team returning its entire staff from last year, which led us to #26 preseason ranking this year. Getting my 4IP in the scrimmage tomorrow ought to help!

Hopefully I can report back in 9 days about our 3-0 record. Even more ideally the 3-0 record would include an appearance or two by yours truly. We'll see how it shakes out, I feel pretty good about it all.

On a last positive note, we'll be enjoying 65 degrees and sun tomorrow, perfect baseball weather!

P.S. What's the problem with these new bats? I like them just fine! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by JPontiac:
Tomorrow and Sunday are our last intrasquad scrimmages before the real games start up a week from TODAY!

Hopefully I can report back in 9 days about our 3-0 record. Even more ideally the 3-0 record would include an appearance or two by yours truly. We'll see how it shakes out, I feel pretty good about it all.

P.S. What's the problem with these new bats? I like them just fine! Big Grin

I love your enthusiasm and confidence. Just a suggestion from someone real old(experienced????):
Don't get ahead of what you are going to do tomorrow.
With your 3rd game against Millsaps, in Jackson, I wonder if talking 3-0 is giving opponents enough respect.
New bats or no, Coach Page is one of the best coaches in college baseball. His hitters are tenacious. He will put pressure on pitchers in ways you probably have yet to see. That will be a game where you will probabaly see the difference in speed and especially the intensity level of the college game.
I wish you all the best...but suggest taking them one game and one opponent at a time. With BSC, DePauw, Hendrix, Emory, Marietta, Montclair State and the SCAC West teams like Millsaps and Trinity in the tournament, you are going to compete against quality players and pitching.
infielddad- I look at JPontiac's post in a different view. We play a schedule that includes Mass-Boston, Framingham State, Messiah, Keene State, Amherst, Montclair State, Farmingdale State, Ithaca, Keystone, St. John Fisher, Cortland State, and Brockport...all teams that have made NCAA Regional or CWS appearances in the last three years. We play a total of 40 games and I believe that we should go 40-0. If we throw strikes, pick up the ball, run the bases aggressively, hit properly in specific situations, etc., then I believe that there is literally no one in the country that can beat us. Will 40-0 be reality? Well, the chances for that certainly aren't in our favor. But as somewhat of a perfectionist, I always like looking at things with the glass half full. If we lose, I believe that there are always things that we can look back on and analyze. There may not be one specific occurence during the game where something happened to cause us to lose, but there's always something. Some people say "chalk this one up to the other team playing better than us." I call BS on that one. Why were they better than us? What did they do? What didn't we do? What can we do from now on to make sure this doesn't happen again?

JPontiac- On another note, I will most certainly agree with infielddad on one thing (for the record, this was literally the first time I've not agreed with one of infielddad's posts). College hitters are a completely different breed, especially when you are getting to the level of play that some of your opposing teams play at. When you are out there, trust your stuff and focus on making the right pitches in the right situation. I hope that you do well, and if passion is related to work ethic then you will definitely be just fine. But don't take things for granted...just because you are out there chuckin' doesn't mean they won't be out there hittin'.
Last edited by J H
JH,
I understand what you are saying and where we may be thinking along the same lines, but not expressing it with the same words.
By your approach, I think you are showing maturity and experience which may or may not exist with a freshman like JPontiac.
I am not saying I am right and agree I may be underestimating JPontiac.
What I read you to be saying is to plan to go 40-0, to set that expectation, to create that potential and to demand that of yourself and teammates.
What I also read into your post is to be mature and focused and know you play each game at the highest level. Playing them one at a time, at the highest level, gets a team to 40-0. Focusing on each game, and making it priority, is the only way to reach 40-0.
My post may not have been fair to JPontiac.
If so, I apologize.
I read what was posted to suggest 3-0 might be overlooking the challenge, focus and intensity needed on each pitch/AB/inning to get there, especially when a player has never seen the quality of those teams/players and coaches.
Last edited by infielddad
quote:

No bad on you for this statement. I can read the "hopefully" and conclude your goal of winning them all.

Go get em kid, best of luck. Keep us posted.
I have been fortunate enough to have been able to watch two more Intra-Squad scrimmages this weekend in lovely 70 degree weather!

Prime Jr, as most know, is a Freshman so I've been watching his new College Team practice, scrimmage and play since August. The Season begins this Friday with a three game Series. Living in the metro area has allowed me to view some D1 level great College baseball through the years.

A couple of observations about the jump from High School to College that's been articulated on this site by everybody who has been fortunate enough to see their son reach this next level. 1. The Pitching is really good; it seems all the Starters have very good command of the strike zone and can throw three pitches for strikes with varying degrees of success. For High School hitters, this is a big change and challenge. 2. Every position player plays great defense. Again, a big surprise to many high school hitters as there are so many more balls cut-off and or run down for outs!

Not to be redundant, but it is a huge leap in talent and frankly I'm enjoying it. I was watching the Team conduct pre-game bunting drills yesterday. The attention to the "small-ball" game; stealing, taking extra bases, hit and run, sacrifices, bunting for base hits, is more pronounced at this level. Watching PrimeJr. was almost funny as he struggled somewhat because he has literally never had to bunt in his baseball career, until now. I love watching the Coaching Staff work these kids!!

Great baseball though, I can't wait.
Just a quick report from son in his first Alumni game and first "college" game. The young guys kinda blew all the wind out of the "old guys" sails. Jr. had a great day... 3-4 with two singles and a double....wood bat. Reported that he had a great day in the field too. First 9 inning game...got 8 1/2 in @ SS....as they were the home team. Was awesome hearing the excitment in his voice at playing again and having a good day. Look forward to hear from other dads on how well "junior" is doing.
Love this thread. We'll highlight a high school thread like this one as soon as someone starts one.

Prime9 - loved your post and all those things are true. Another interesting thing you'll see in college is sometimes, guys who weren't the biggest stars in high school begin to blossom. Luck plays a part in this whole thing.

J23 - you've got me excited as well
Prime9, and you warm weather folks are killing me! I go to weather.com to check the local weather forecast as well as the weather where fenwaysouth jr is, and a shivver always runs down my spine. Today it is 10 degrees in upstate NY, and that is cause for rejoice as it is actually in the double digits. Their first 15 games in March will be on the road in warmer climates. I've been shopping online for cold weather thermal underwear in preparation for the season. It is going to be a tough and cold beginning to Spring. But I can't wait for March 4 as well as seeing (in person) some of the HSBBWeb son's play in February. Good stuff is right around the corner even though it may require a wool hat, gloves, boots and thermal underwear. Stay warm!
Last edited by fenwaysouth
quote:
Originally posted by igball:
Here's an amazing story: With two weeks to go before opening game head coach pulls team together to let them know he will be donating kidney to medical red shirt player who needs one. Won't be coaching third base for awhile.
I knew he was a high character guy but that is very impressive.

Wow! That is not only impressive, it transcends the game.
That IS truely an amazing and selfless act!

We are looking forward to this Friday when we get the season started against a team out of Georgia with a doubled header, and on Saturday my son starts on the mound. Not sure yet where my son will play. Coach has stated that my guy can expect time at 2nd, 3rd, Center Field, First and on the mound...

Should be an interesting season, at least he wants the guys bat in the line-up!

And let it be known that my son survived the Pirate Invasion!

http://latino.foxnews.com/lati...ers/?test=latestnews

Last edited by floridafan
quote:
Here's an amazing story: With two weeks to go before opening game head coach pulls team together to let them know he will be donating kidney to medical red shirt player who needs one. Won't be coaching third base for awhile.

WOW.God bless that man.Prayers that both get through the surgery and return to health.
quote:
Originally posted by Bum:
quote:

Wow! That is not only impressive, it transcends the game.

quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
That IS truely an amazing and selfless act!

We are looking forward to this Friday when we get the season started against a team out of Georgia with a doubled header, and on Saturday my son starts on the mound. Not sure yet where my son will play. Coach has stated that my guy can expect time at 2nd, 3rd, Center Field, First and on the mound...

Should be an interesting season, at least he wants the guys bat in the line-up!

And let it be known that my son survived the Pirate Invasion!

http://latino.foxnews.com/lati...ers/?test=latestnews

floridafan; that's the Preseason #4 Team in the Nation you are opening up against. No stroll in the Park although they lost a ton of Seniors from last years Roster that made it to the World Series.

Your son looks to have his work cutout for him this year as a two-way contributor! Best of luck. Hopefully we will see you in Cary at year end.
quote:
Originally posted by Prime9:
2. Every position player plays great defense. Again, a big surprise to many high school hitters as there are so many more balls cut-off and or run down for outs!

This has been what leftysideson has noticed and is thrilled about. As a sidearmer, he induces alot of ground balls. He says it's incredible to just know that your infield will do what is needed every time. Double-plays have always been my favorite play in baseball so this should be fun!
Well, the season starts on Friday and today, for the THIRD TIME in 11 months, my son will have knee surgery. ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair in March, another meniscus repair in October, and now another meniscus and ACL repair today.

Either the third time will be the charm, or 3 strikes and he's out.

This is his last season. The doc "thinks" that he will be able to play the last half of the season. Hmmm.... we'll see.
Last edited by play baseball
quote:
Originally posted by play baseball:
Well, the season starts on Friday and today, for the THIRD TIME in 11 months, my son will have knee surgery. ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair in March, another meniscus repair in October, and now another meniscus and ACL repair today.

Either the third time will be the charm, or 3 strikes and he's out.

This is his last season. The doc "thinks" that he will be able to play the last half of the season. Hmmm.... we'll see.

Arrgh... indeed.

play baseball - my heart breaks with that news. My thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
floridafan, the play baseball family is no stranger to injuries, sad to say. this kid also had Tommy John surgery the summer after his sophomore year--he wasn't able to play that year, either. His brother missed most of his junior year of high school due to a labrum injury--which required surgery, which he had in Sept. of his senior year. The doctor thought he was doing a nice thing by allowing him to play that summer--batting only, no throwing---but he was thrown at, the ball hit his wrist, broke both bones, so out that summer. The shoulder rehab was hampered by lingering pain in his wrist--turned out, the tfcc had torn. So, on the day of tryouts in his senior year, he was in surgery to repair the wrist.

His doctor told him that he had no luck---he didn't even have "bad" luck to turn around.

Really, I feel like "Eyeore"-- you know, the donkey with the black cloud over him in Winnie the Pooh. But I like the Peanuts characters better, so I'll go with Charlie Brown. I really need some of Snoopy's happy dance!

trojan-skipper----I don't know. I think it just never got fixed right.
playBaseball,

I know the feeling, my son had the ACL replaced 2 1/2 years ago. The first doctor we saw said he had a bruised Patella and to rest on it for 2 weeks which he did and returned to playing but never got better. After three months of trying to get to see a surgeon within in our plan coverage that knew about sports injuries, found out the ACL was a complete tear. Missed out on his first year of college baseball but had an excellent sports medicine program and now is back playing without any problems.
As someone else stated, the hardest thing to repair is the mental toughness.
Our prayers and wishes are for you and your son and hopefully as they say the third time is the charm.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.