Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is a not a new book..but it is appropriate to this discussion. "The Last Best League" by Jim Collins is a book about the Cape Cod league. My husband just bought it...I've been stealing looks at it..kind of like a Boys of Summer for college baseball. Might be a nice Christmas present for a player going to Cape Cod for the first time.
I would think most of the "contracts" available on Cape Cod have already been offered by now, and a lot signed. My son had his 2007 before he left last August. There is a tryout day early June... but most of what is available is temporary contracts to fill in for the players still in the NCAA playoffs and CWS.
As PFbear mentioned...
(AND BTW... What is a "PFBear" Wink)

My son has been to both the Alaskan League and the Cape. I did not make a trip to Alaska myself so can only tell you what I hear from my son. Right now the CAPE is the TOP DOG as for competition. Also the facilites are pretty nice, and you couldn't beat where my son stayed last sumer (Great Host family) Although was fortunate to have a great host family in Alaska also.

Alaska had been considered competitively comparable or even a bit better several years ago, but not now.

Alaska has LONG LONG LONG... bus rides. Did I mention LONG. But they will stay in a city area for a week or so... My son said it was hard sleeping with it being light most of the time. And he said there were no good looking girls there... (See what an 18 yo thinks about...)

Longest Bus ride in the Cape, less than an Hour, most 15-30 minutes. The crowds at the cape are great.. its a lot of fun and its great baseball.

The whole point of summer ball is to play games, and hopefully face good competition. So far my son has been fortunate to been able to do both the last couple summers.
Last edited by SDBB
quote:
Originally posted by Newcomer:
This is a not a new book..but it is appropriate to this discussion. "The Last Best League" by Jim Collins is a book about the Cape Cod league. My husband just bought it...I've been stealing looks at it..kind of like a Boys of Summer for college baseball. Might be a nice Christmas present for a player going to Cape Cod for the first time.

Newcomer, that book is one of my favorite books of all time. The only book I've enjoyed more is Jim Bouton's "Ball Four."

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.