Skip to main content

My son will be a junior class right handed pitcher next year in college. His head coach is not proactive in helping with summer league placement. He was able to get in a good summer league this year through a lot of his own work. He is interested in the MLB draft league, NECBL, and the Northwoods league. What is the best options for getting into these leagues for 2023 and when should he start looking? His college head coach will give him a good recommendation and he did well in one of the better summer leagues this year.

Thank you

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Top leagues offer a variety of different length contracts, from a few weeks, to half a season, to a full season.  Teams do not stay the same over the course of the summer; some players arrive late, some players get injured either in college or during the summer, some show up with more innings from college than expected, some leave for other reasons.  At the start of the summer, teams will add players (especially pitchers) to make up for this, and by the end of the season, many summer teams are scrabbling for whatever players they can get, even in NWL.  My son's contracts were coach-organized in the fall in the past 2 years, but they changed as circumstances changed.

Dan - You are getting good advice here. Since the college coach is not proactive, I suggest that your boy figure out which teams he would like to play for and begin communicating with those coaches a few days after playoffs.  My boy's college coach was not helpful but the boy was able to get on the teams he targeting by doing this. NECBL in 2021 and NWL this year. Coaches will be receptive if a kid will market himself and be assertive. Good luck.

Our son played in his collegiate league's all star game the other night. It was a wonderful end to his youth baseball career as he now prepares for a collegiate career that starts in a few weeks.  I was shockingly more emotional than the wife, I reflected on his journey to this point and could not stop talking about it with her. It did creep into the realm of eulogizing at times but she did pull me back.  I was a lurker looking for insights on my 8th grader now I am one of many here memorializing their son's journey through HS. I will be joining the college parents and as with the HS journey, I will be prepared thanks to all that have contributed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.