Skip to main content

New thread for Summer College Leagues in 2022.  Whose playing and where?

My son (D3 sophomore next year 3B/1B/DH) is playing in the Dairyland League in Wisconsin.  Most of the league rosters are D3 & JUCO guys with several D2 players as well.   Team meeting and practice tomorrow and then games start next Saturday June 4th.  5 games in the first 6 days.  34 games in 2 months.  I’m looking forward to sitting in the sun and watching some Baseball!

I’d love to hear about where your son is playing and what their experiences are like this summer.  And for those whose kids are done playing, please feel free to share your thoughts and stories about the summer leagues they played in, in the past.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

With all the injuries reported by the hsbbw regulars this year, I wonder how many are actually playing in the summer?

My son is playing very far away, but fortunately there will be livestreams - no idea how good they will be.  I hope to get out to see him live.  Mind you, last year he was a lot closer, and I still went to games only 3 weekends, but I watched almost all the livestreamed games.

Bob, he did see one players this year, from last summer!

Mine is playing in the Kansas collegiate league valley center mud daubers. Son plays for D2 southern nazarene and is c/3b/ss. Not catching this summer college coach wants him to play infield which is definitely fine by me. Is a wood bat summer league. Reports tomorrow. Plays through August 7. Stays with a host family.

Last edited by edcoach

Son played in LaCrosse, Wisconsin (summer of 2016) and loved it!  We went out for 8 days and saw a game every night.  Since we were not from the area, we had fun exploring during the day.  He reported several weeks late due to his college making regionals, but he managed to accomplish this:

https://northwoodsleague.com/l...oggers/20-year-team/

Note:  Not all players love it.  There were a lot of comings-and-goings, injuries, pitch limits, finding out late that you HAVE to go to summer school, homesickness, etc.   This was new to me since a college team has continuity.

Last edited by keewart
@Consultant posted:

3&2

Summer College Baseball provides a relaxed opportunity to experiment on a player's swing, mental approach to the game and game situations. For a pitcher to work on a control of a third pitch and setting up the hitters.

"Canti"- Japanese word for "constant improvement".

Many players you will see again, take notes.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

My son was behind two 5th year seniors at 3B/1B this spring, and only got 5 at bats as a freshman, so he’s very much looking forward to the game reps this summer.  Position players can never get too many live at bats, it seems!

So far I can say the Dairyland League in Wisconsin has been good.  They do a nice job of having an online presence, streaming games, keeping stats, and the scheduling is reasonable.

The level of competition in this league is better than I thought it’d be.  The JUCO kids and D2 players in the league makes this a slightly higher level of Baseball than the typical D3 games I saw this past Spring (not counting, of course, the Top 20 D3 teams).  Good experience for my son.

My son just graduated from HS last Thursday night. He had game #1 with his Northwoods team Saturday in Rochester, MN. College coach recommended it over Legion for him this summer. It was a unique game #1 as the bus was an hour late to take them from the cities to the game. Got to the ballpark and infield/BP was right away as there was a wedding at 5:00 prior to the 6:30 game. The team he is playing for is the Minnesota Mudpuppies and they only have away games. They were based in Thunder Bay and post pandemic the travel does not work with with all the Vax stuff with Canada so they moved to Twin Cities, do not have a home ballpark and play 1/2 a Northwoods schedule. This is about perfect for him and us as parents. He is living at home, gets a whole summer of lifting at his gym, plays against good competition, and has a decent intro to Collegiate summer ball and college pitchers. Next week we head to the next summer vacation hotspot for the Conde Nast set and Kardashians...Bismarck, ND!!! 4 days in paradise!!!

DM me if any of your favorite players (aka your kid!) are playing Northwoods and will be playing the Mudpuppies.  

Last edited by used2lurk

Kid is playing on a local college wood bat league that is "powered by PG", what does that mean? good question. Lots of rising freshman and kids he played with/against from both HS and travel. This league games schedule is work friendly and relatively local great perks for the kid and family. It started over the weekend but he missed the first DH due to the state finals. He played last night in RF had a double and punched out a runner trying to tag to 3rd from 2nd on a fly ball. He did allow one to drop and he totally pooched the scoop. I busted his chops and told him it would look better to lay out and miss than that terrible LL flub he did. His college coach wants him to film his ABs so I am now his videographer. Next game he is behind the dish, he is both excited and nervous given the lengthy lay off.  It may be premature but I think he finally may be over the hump.

2022NWC:

That is a perfect set up. I am not a huge fan of summer college ball for a lot of kids unless they are in a top 5 program and/or looking forward to the draft. In many cases kids are better off working in the gym and their craft in a training environment vs the grind of a full blown summer league. (50ish games) Plus the future employment post college is likely based on internships.

What your son is doing is perfect as he is getting some reps in and can also refresh from the college grind.

Enjoy the summer.

34 games over 2 months in the Dairyland League for my D3 kid seems good.  He’s especially lucky that he gets to live at home, but he’s also been able to work part-time and get lifting/training in as well as individual hitting workouts.  Definitely a busy summer.

He’s going to be a Sophomore in the 2023 season, and like most freshman, especially in the present post-COVID roster logjam environment, he didn’t get much playing time as a freshman (only 5 pinch hit at bats).  So he really needs the live reps.  So far he’s started games at both 3B& 1B (the main positions his college coach wants him ready for in the fall), and he’s scheduled to start at 3B in tomorrow ’s game.

All the teams in the league are within a 30 minutes drive of each other so there aren’t any big road trips or overnight stays.

The Northwoods League is several levels higher up in the Baseball world, but I’ve heard stories of some Northwoods players only getting 10-15 at bats over the course of an entire summer.  At minimum, Dairyland League position players start every other game….like I said he needs the reps

@Consultant posted:

3&2

Summer College Baseball provides a relaxed opportunity to experiment on a player's swing, mental approach to the game and game situations. For a pitcher to work on a control of a third pitch and setting up the hitters.

"Canti"- Japanese word for "constant improvement".

Many players you will see again, take notes.

Bob

My son is a RS sophomore relief pitcher playing for the Harbourcats in the WCL. His college season was all over the place thanks to a decent primary (cutter) and a below average off speed (slurve). The last two weeks of college he increased the velo on his cutter and dreamed up a new off speed (curve). No kidding, a 12 / 6 curve literally came to him in a dream and he had a feel for it. When the college coach saw him throwing it in catch play he told him it was a keeper and to work on it. He threw it a half dozen times in game the night before last and it is already far better than his slurve.

Hi Roady,

My son is a catcher for Harbourcats just flew in last night. Getting settled in with a trip to field today so he is ready for next home game tomorrow.

This year is going to be a big summer ball change from last year. He played for Rogues and most games were home games. This year looks to be a good portion of the time will be spent on a bus. He is excited to get to it.

Hi Roady,

My son is a catcher for Harbourcats just flew in last night. Getting settled in with a trip to field today so he is ready for next home game tomorrow.

This year is going to be a big summer ball change from last year. He played for Rogues and most games were home games. This year looks to be a good portion of the time will be spent on a bus. He is excited to get to it.

I will PM you. I love the fact that my son will in the same unit as your son. If you get the chance go visit, I was there for a week and loved the place and the people. The fans may be the nicest baseball fans in baseball.

After starting the season 0 for 12, my kid hit a 400 foot bomb over the left center wall for his first HR, and his first hit (!) of the summer.

It’s definitely been a challenge, his first summer college league adjusting to the wood bat and tougher competition.  He’s had some good AB’s (drew a walk, sac RBI, a bomb that went foul by 5 feet, and a gapper that the CF made a great play on) and some not so good AB’s.  Fun to see him making adjustments….

The kid is 2/3 through his college league. He missed 4 games due to his state chip and work. He started off terrible 9Ks in first 7 games and barely above the Mendoza line with only 1 extra base hit, almost as productive as Joey Gallo. I am sure those calls to his coach was not pleasant. Of course I was lamenting to my wife he is over cooked trying to manage working 6 days, training playing 2x a week and having a girlfriend and he is half arsing it...a real dog days of summer for her ears! Anyway, I knew it was getting bad as he asked me for help and take him hitting. I really did try to be like an HR derby pitching coach, but he made the mistake of asking me about his swing and timing and l went into hitting coach mode, but kept it amicable. We did work on some timing drills and using the camera (no Blast, kinda annoyed me but again I kept it amicable and let it go) to make sure when was on plane. We left it the session with our relationship intact so it was good.  The last 2 weeks he has been on a tear hitting a couple of HRs (one oppo) and a game winner against his former travel team. He won some league recognition which was nice. I would like to take credit but it was him and he has been getting lots of live ABs at his training facility with many high level pitchers. His college coach is pleased so his baseball life is back on track.

The games are usually laid back with the exception of a crazy parent belittling his kid. The players and parents are into the games, but the coaches are very laid back and the intensity is very low, unlike HS ball. They have 2 more weekend before a single elimination tourney the he is off for August before going to school in September. Of course we still can't take a real vacation as my youngest is in training for HS football 6 days a week. It looks like the end of fall will be our trip to somewhere I hope

Definitely seeing firsthand how much harder it is for many players, including my kid, to hit with wood than BBCOR.  He started out 0 for 12 but has hit .286 since…. A lot of good experience being gained.  The pitching in this league is really good, especially the D2 and JUCO guys

I think this will really prepare him well for his Sophomore fall of D3 ball

I got out to see one series, had beautiful weather, saw a lovely area, and they had a really fun atmosphere at games.  The livestreams were great, the announcers good, which is all you need if you cannot be there.

My son is done for the summer - he pitched a lot during his college season, then was asked to do a lot this summer, and his effectiveness was waning.  In one game last week, another pitcher on his team seemed off, grabbed his elbow and collapsed in pain.  We said to our son, "do not let this be you."  He will take the fall off.  I think he had a great time, and learned a ton.  For sure he never complains about the grind, he seems to love it.

My kid played his first and only playoff game for his collegiate summer league team. The team attitude drastically changed from a very laid back atmosphere, fun times in the dugout regular season to an intense field practicing then hours in the facility cages on the hack attack the night before the play off game. I was unable to attend but wife told me the dugout on both sides treated it like a conference chip, no more banter with their opponent and only cheering for their team. The day game schedule meant the team did not have their best pitchers (work?) but the team did grind. They played on a local D2 field where the kid played throughout his HS career (won 2 Chips there) so it was like home field to him. He hit a monster oppo shot HR and hard single, a great 2 for 2 day. Of course wife forgets to video it. She will tape him sleeping in the car like a creepy stalker but forget to record his play off ABs...arghhhhhh. Anyway, his team got out hit and lost 6-4 and the season was over. I am mad at myself, for the hubris of assuming they were a lock to play the next game which was on tomorrow night so I didn't have to move mountains on my work schedule. He was invited to play in the league's all star game next week and that really will be his last game. The wife was emotional seeing the kid full of joy and not fear, doubt and frustration from constantly recovering from injuries. His old HS team mates came to game and wife told me they went nuts on the HR. I have not reflected on this but I will and it will hit me like a ton of emotional bricks thinking about my son moving on to the next stage of his career.  I am glad he stayed local rather head upstate to play, we did have some quality time with him and he totally proved me wrong as he was able to be disciplined to work, train, make his games, spend time with his family and girl friend and do it successfully.  Luckily the all star game is at night so I can go to his last game unencumbered from work. We will take 2 cars so I can drive home without him and empty the kleenex box without shame.

Son is done for the summer in the NWL.  Tweaked something in his back and after talking to his college coach, he has decided to take the next few weeks off before he starts fall ball the end of August.  He played the whole college season and then the tough NWL schedule.  I think his body was telling him he needed to take a break.  Catchers take a beating!  Anybody else have any sons feeling like they need a little time to rest and recover before the fall baseball season?

BB Mom - Yes! Same as your boy though mine is MIF and 3rd. Had a good first half and is looking tuckered out now. He has told the coach he will stay through playoffs so he will get to campus a few days before classes begin.

One of his reasons for playing in the NWL was to see what it’s like to play a lot of games with little rest; very early morning departures; late or overnight return trips. I think he knows now.

He will take 5 days off in August to take care of some pre-semester stuff then back for 3 regular season games and playoffs.

@Texas1836 posted:

BB Mom - Yes! Same as your boy though mine is MIF and 3rd. Had a good first half and is looking tuckered out now. He has told the coach he will stay through playoffs so he will get to campus a few days before classes begin.

One of his reasons for playing in the NWL was to see what it’s like to play a lot of games with little rest; very early morning departures; late or overnight return trips. I think he knows now.

He will take 5 days off in August to take care of some pre-semester stuff then back for 3 regular season games and playoffs.

Yes, it is a grind!!  I think if he hadn't hurt his back, he was planning on staying through playoffs, but he starts fall baseball August 23 and I think a part of him also wanted a little family time before he goes back.   

He plans on going back next summer though! 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.