Skip to main content

I am trying to get accurate numbers for the player fees charged by various collegiate wooden bat summer leagues, whether called "player fees", "housing fees", or whatever,  and would appreciate seeing any numbers of which folks are aware. Our league, the Valley League, is currently at $200.00 but are told we are "very low".   I have seen/heard all kinds of numbers, such as that Coastal charges nothing while several leagues are over $1000,  but have thus far just confirmed a hand full: Hamptons charges $800, Tidewater, $1650.00, Sunshine, $1200.    I would like to put together a definitive listing and would  appreciate any info that anyone has.   If someone for any reason doesn't want to out it out for the world to see, you can "PM" me. Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Trust In Him posted:

Son played in West Coast League (WCL) and it was $0.  Had home stay assigned.  Only money he needed was for meals on non-game days, incidentals, and fun money.  That being said, I would think his school payed for whatever was required.  Can't see all those players just playing for free.

I just noted that my daughter gets paid for her summer jobs. I have to pay for my son to get one. 

Cal Ripken $300 for the team.  I thought things were well organized.

Cape Cod $85 a week for housing.  There were also club house dues for the players on my son's team.  Not sure if that is the norm for all teams.  The players were provided $250 for travel cost.  Most meals were provided by the host family or the team so in the end it is somewhat of a break even cost.  The opportunity is invaluable for exposure.  League is very well organized.

Cost are a fraction of what Summer Showcase baseball cost prior to College.

Hamptons League 2015:  around ~$500 in 2015, but we were refunded around ~80% since son didn't wind up on the team  (hip surgeries).  Host family provided. 

Northwoods League 2016:  $250, basically for uniform.  Host family provided.  Meals provided after games, which were almost every night.  Free food and ice cream at Dairy Queen (a sponsor) any time.  We provided son with some gas/food money each month.  I believe there was free use of workout facilities. There was a charge for tickets, but son put us on guest pass lists. 

Cape Cod League 2107:  weekly fee for host family paid to team/league (I thought the contract said $125 a week, but I can't find it at the moment).  Travel to and from Cape Cod would have been reimbursed up to a limit at the end of the season if you played all season.  I understand games are free for spectators.  Son didn't play (drafted).   

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

Wish I could help but My info is outdated. But you can take it for what it is worth. 

Great Lakes, for the Settlers. $300 Back then I believe that there was not a set value across the league. Each team charges what they felt appropriate to keep the doors open. I believe one team was Free, however they had a lot of commercial support.

Son was also $300 in the Great Lakes league.  He lived at home, but host families are provided if needed.  Team picked up food tab for away games....and usually fed them after home games if they wanted to hang around.   His team (and I think all of the others) traveled on a bus.  Longest trip was 4 hours one way.  They usually drove back each night, but did spend 2 nights in hotels for road trips to the two furthest teams.  His team was essentially in the center of the league geographically....some of the other teams spent more nights in hotels due to longer trips....so not sure if their costs were higher

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

Transportation answer for Valley League: Most teams rent or own buses, and 2-3 rent extended vans.   Several teams are located within 10-15 miles to other league teams, and occasionally players are allowed to drive, where driving from the host family home to the game site is a shorter trip than driving from the home into town to catch the bus.

hokieone posted:

Transportation answer for Valley League: Most teams rent or own buses, and 2-3 rent extended vans.   Several teams are located within 10-15 miles to other league teams, and occasionally players are allowed to drive, where driving from the host family home to the game site is a shorter trip than driving from the home into town to catch the bus.

My son lived at home in the Great Lakes league....he was 25-30 miles north of the town where his team was located.  2 other players lived at home also.  They would drives themselves if they wanted to.....just to save driving 30 miles out of their way twice to catch the bus.....plus they said it smelled better than the bus after a July game in 85 degree heat

Son played last summer with the Jamestown Jammers of the PG League. Strangely, they won the championship and then announced they wouldn't be fielding a team for 2019. The only cost was $600 for a dorm room at the local JC. The dorms were approximately 100 yards from the field. Travel was hell, though. Bus. Most 3-8 hours away. 

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

At the Cape is any of it prorated. I know they bring in temporary help early in the season while they are waiting for some of the players to finish up in the CWS.

Yes.  I believe that is why you pay the team/league weekly for the host family.  Not sure about prorating the summer league fee....my son told me to hold off paying anything until after the draft.  

keewart posted:
BishopLeftiesDad posted:

At the Cape is any of it prorated. I know they bring in temporary help early in the season while they are waiting for some of the players to finish up in the CWS.

Yes.  I believe that is why you pay the team/league weekly for the host family.  Not sure about prorating the summer league fee....my son told me to hold off paying anything until after the draft.  

Thanks Keewart.

Buckeye 2015 posted:
roothog66 posted:

Saw my son's contract last night for Matsu. There is a $300 fee paid to the club. However, they place all players with host families and they pay for round trip airfare for the season.

Wow, that's not a bad deal to get to see a place most kids will never get to.  Round trip air paid....impressive.  

Yeah, surprised me. 

BrownIndian posted:

Son played in Cal Ripken last year and it was $300. Will be playing in Valley this year.

I just looked at the Ripken league website and was surprised to see that it's been down to 6 teams for a few years. I remember a year with 12 teams when my son was in high school. Anyone know if that's a trend with summer collegiate leagues?

The numbers of total players playing is not down but there are new leagues popping up which has hurt some.  I think the Ripken league has been hurt by some attendance numbers that didn't pan out like owners thought they would so the numbers are reduced.  Some thought they would get better players than they were able to get.  The leagues/schools connections are pretty set in the upper D1's so it is hard to break that cycle.  My son was given two choices that his school connects with for freshmen.  One in Coastal and one in California.  It is pretty much that way with most D1's.  They have their teams and stick to those because they trust each other.

Ripken League had several issues. Loudon Riverdogs owner moved to North Carolina, The Rockville Express field was turned into a soccer field. When they got a new field the Gaithersburg Giants blocked them from re-entering the league due to the closeness of the two fields (i.e. Rockville was playing in Gaithersburg Territory). The speculation with the Baltimore Redbirds is that they were primarily sponsored by a large Baltimore Company that is having accounting issues.  Not sure what happened to the Baltimore Dodgers. The League was still ranked the number 5 according to Summerbaseballregister.com despite losing 4 teams between 2018 and 2019.  

Question about league placement:

Player is currently a freshman at a small D2 in the southeast.

He's a 6'3" 200 LHP who throws low-mid 80s from a sidearm arm slot.

He had a really good fall season, and should get a chance for a decent amount of innings in the spring.

He talked to his coaches about summer ball in their exit meetings, and they said they could help place him in on a team in one of the local leagues. This is an established league, but it isn't usually referred to when listing the highly-rated summer leagues.

The upside is that he could spend more time at home or with other family who live close to that team.

The question is would it maybe be better for his long-term development to play in one of the stronger leagues, and get the experience of staying with a host family.

Can an unproven D2 freshman pitcher even get any interest from the higher-rated leagues?

Is it common for players set up their own connections to summer teams, or should he just let his coaches do the placement?

Coaches have connections.  There are very few who can get a gig on their own unless they are a stud.  It also depends on speed as LHP and how many innings he throws this spring.  My sons commitment is dependent on his innings this spring.  He is a 2way player so his summer placement was also a 2 way commitment.  If he throws X number of innings this spring, he will only hit this summer.  If not, he will X number of innings this summer and hit. 

My middle son had 16 innings he could throw his freshman summer.  The team held him through the entire summer throwing 1 or less innings a week hoping they would make the playoffs and use him in the playoffs.  They lost the next to last game which put them out of the playoffs so he pitched the entire last game.  A total waste of a summer.  They would not let him leave and come back.  I do not understand the management of teams like this.  If you are going to bring kids in, use them not abuse the kid.  If you don't want them but once a week, then tell them what game and let them go home the other part of the week.  They talk about the growing experience but it is more of a frustrating experience at times.  I know this is how it works but not a good system. 

T_Thomas posted:

Question about league placement: 

Lots of things in play here.

If he's a weekly starter in the spring, he may need the summer to recuperate and focus on recovery training.

If he pitches less than a starter in the spring, but still logs a decent number of innings, he (and his pitching coach) will probably want to limit his innings in the summer (reliever).

I doubt he'll have a shot at a higher rated league unless he has a stand-out spring, and one of those teams is looking for pitchers late (end of college season).

I think not playing summer ball at all is becoming more common, especially with pitchers. Guys may want to focus on targeted training, mechanical adjustments, pitch design, etc.

Finding your own summer team is more common at the lower levels. A kid may have family or friends near a league that his college coach isn't connected with, and can work something out in that way. Most coaches want to know that the summer team isn't going to overuse their kids, and that only comes from experience and trust.

T Thomas, yes, on occasion, players will find their own spots.  But that typically does not happen with the higher rated leagues.  Although, it may help if you clarified your idea of higher rated leagues.  

You said the school can assign your son to a local league that is established.  Being close to home one more summer and not having to worry about issues of a lesser established league sounds pretty darn appealing to me for a low-mid 80's LHP freshman.  I think I'd be inclined to take that path.  He has two future summers, hopefully, to explore the top leagues.

For a LHP, there will likely be plenty of opportunities.  College summer teams are always scrambling for P's.  But at this time... ??  Also, be aware that if he has a great spring and a lot of IP, the school may want him to shut down or put an innings limit on him for summer, as Pitchingfan described.  That is normal.

PS - looks like i was typing same time as Mid... yeah, what he said too 

Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.