Skip to main content

We have launched operations to begin play in the Atlantic Coast Baseball League on June 4, 2005.

We will be seeking ownership of franchises in the next six months. All of our teams will be in place no later than December 1, 2004.

States that are targeted will be North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. Other states will be given consideration if we deem enough interest.

Once the citites/teams have been approved for the league, we will announce our regional divisions. Teams will play a 20 game regular season schedule, have a chance to be selected to the 2005 All-Star Game, and finally the season culminates in the ACBL World Series.

Our league office will ensure that fields will be of the highest standard, that umpires will conduct themselves in a professional manner (they will always show up on time), and that all teams will play (a fine will be levied against team owners if games are cancelled due to no-show).

If you would like more information regarding team ownership, or any general information, please call our office.

Jason Newsham
Director Baseball Operations
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What ever happened to playing Little League, then Babe Ruth, then Legion? Now we have AAU taking over and to be quite honest its ruining the game. You now have nothing but elite teams that leave the marginal player behind and that kid loses interest in baseball and fails to play the game any more. Even Little League is fast becoming a joke. The purpose is not to play its to finish the season in JUNE so the elite kids( usually the sons of the coaches) can make All Star teams and travel all over the state and country. Meanwhile most of the kids are threw with baseball in JUNE. I am sorry but if the truth be known as I see it this emphasis on AAU and now the ACBL is really a means to please the baseball fantasys of the adults. Now comes a league that caters and pampers the "elite high school players" including freshman. I realize I am probably the only person here who feels this way but I think all this "elitism" is ruining the game of baseball....its hard to say "elite" and "freshman" without gagging more than a little.
Last edited {1}
I am truly sorry you feel this way. I have a five year old son so I dont fall into the category of forming a league so my son can travel and be an 'all-star'.

Let me clear up misconceptions you may have about 'other' leagues.

1. We formed a league to offer top notch summer baseball competition for high school players.

2. By forming our league, that will increase the number of kids playing baseball in a city by 15-20.

3. By forming regional leagues, it will cut down on cost for the players. It will also cut down on travel for the parents and let the parents watch more often. Not every parent flies or travels for long weekend tournaments.

4. Quality. How many times have you seen a summer team not show up, umpires not show up, coaches and managers not show up? I have seen it too many times. We are putting our best foot forward to eliminate these problems.

If you have any other comments, I would like to hear them, or if I didnt address your concerns, let me know. Thanks.

Jason Newsham
Our purpose of having franchise owners is to keep control of our league. Just because you apply to be an owner in an area, doesnt mean we will accept you. We have an entire process to go through to make sure we have serious baseball ownership in all areas.

Main reasons to have an owner of an organization are:

1. If you invest in the franchise as an owner, you will put forth the best effort o hire a manager and to get the best players to commit to your team.

2. We are looking at owners for the long haul. Not someone as you say, starts up a team because their son doesnt make it theory. That is why our process will be tedious. It is highly doubtful we would grant ownership to a parent whose child was left off of the JV team. We want elite players. They have a way of separating themselves.

3. If we have ownership of franchises, we have accountability. If their team fails to show up because the team went to the beach we will be able to fine the team owner. I have played on teams that once we arrived at our destination, no one showed up. Now we have our finger on someone and at someone when something goes wrong.

4. Our pockets will not be lined anytime soon because of franchise fees. Owners will buy a franchise for a one time fee of $2,500. Right off the bat, half goes into our World Series and All Star Activities.

Thanks for the questions and if any more come up, please let me know. Thanks.

252-291-6751

Jason Newsham
To address both American Legion and AAU.

1. Legion ball is a good summer baseball league. However there is no guarantee that the best players will be on the field.

The main reason we are searching for team owners now is to give them this summer and fall to recruit the players they want in their program. Our concept is to have owners buy a franchise, and then put their efforts into fielding the most competitive team possible. When you invest into something, you have a larger interest in what is being produced.

2. The reason we should not be compared to AAU is that we are an actual league. We wont just offer tournaments. Our league will keep records, statistics, etc. and keep them up dated on line.

You have our word that we are running a professional organization. We have given ourselves the extra year to produce what we are promising. We will be unveiling our league logo, All-Star Uniforms, etc. at a press conference at the end of April. I look forward to responding to anyones questions or concerns.

If you would like to speak in person, please contact our office or email tjnewsham16@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Jason Newsham
I went to your temporary website.
I saw the information about vision and expenses. Interesting concept. You also spend time explaining that this would be run as a "business". However, I don't see any mention of revenue streams, only expenses. If someone is going to purchase a franchise, I may be making an assumption they are in it for a profit. Curious as to your thoughts on the revenue side of the model.
When we send out our ownership/business packages, we will also send out a sample budget with expenses and revenue for year one.

The bottom line is that each team will be responsible for bringing in their revenue. If you have an active owner, he/she will set an amount of sponsorship he/she thinks the team could secure for year one. Teams could do spaghetti dinners, pancake breakfasts, golf outings, t-ball clinics (before home games especially), merchandise, etc. The sky is the limit.

I will look at the website and see if and why it was left off. Thanks.

Jason Newsham
Local, I disagree. I think a league focusing on the HS elite is a great way for some of these boys to showcase thier talent. It is not fair to expect these boys to stick with Little League, Babe Ruth League and anymore AAU (which has become a joke). Most of these boys have dedicated themselves to the game of baseball since they were small boys. These boys spend all winter conditioning and preparing for the Spring. This dedication to the game is what puts these boys in the "elite" catagory. It is the boys that stop playing when Little League is done that are not making these teams. Granted, there are "naturals" in the game who it comes easy for, but mostly it is pure hard work that has put these kids where they are. As far as Freshman and elite making you gag, I'm sorry to hear that. Last season I saw plenty of Freshman that I can see someday playing for the Major Leagues. Bottom line, I think a team like this would be a great way for these kids to work on thier skills with top knotch coaches. As for me and my son, we will be looking in to it further. And if he does not make a team? So be it. That just means he needs to work harder for next year. Because that is what makes "elite" Hard work.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.