Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by FutureBack.Mom:
Walawala ...
quote:
I would say that any college team with a number 1 overall type pitcher, (price, miller, etc) would have a chance at beating any minor league team

Respectfully disagree with you on this one. I do believe that a quality college pitcher and team could beat some of the lower level minor league teams ... rookie (many high school age players), short season (many college level players), and maybe even some low A teams where there are a lot of young players. But beyond that, I really don't think a college program with even the best pitcher is quite ready to beat 'any' minor league team. We have to remember that the minor league levels, especially AA and AAA, are stacked with very mature players, some in their late 20's as well as younger players who have been playing pro ball since they were 16 or 17 (speaking here of the Latin players).

Im sayin with a legitament guy like miller or lincecum, who have already pitched in the big leagues less than a year after their draft, could easily shut out any minor league for 9 innings with their best performance.

Lincecum has already dominated Big League teams. Miller has had some success as well.
Walawala ...

So we agree to disagree. I just don't think we can presume that these guys can come out of college and dominate at just ANY level minor league team for 9 innings. Takes nothing away from the quality of Lincecum or Miller, but their college level teams behind them would have to perform at the same level, IMO. Granted, I personally think the pitcher is the most important position on the field (obvious bias), but it takes 9 or 10 players to get the job done. So at some minor league levels, I would agree but I don't think the blanket 'ANY' applies.

But we can agree to disagree.
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom
quote:
Originally posted by FutureBack.Mom:
Walawala ...

So we agree to disagree. I just don't think we can presume that these guys can come out of college and dominate at just ANY level minor league team for 9 innings. Takes nothing away from the quality of Lincecum or Miller, but their college level teams behind them would have to perform at the same level, IMO. Granted, I personally think the pitcher is the most important position on the field (obvious bias), but it takes 9 or 10 players to get the job done. So at some minor league levels, I would agree but I don't think the blanket 'ANY' applies.

But we can agree to disagree.

I agree with you. Good pitching can hide many flaws in a team and win championships. Look at some of the teams making it to the college world seires. UCI has had great outings from Gorgen and Etheridge. Without those guys Irvine is an average Team. With them, they might win the CWS. Theres no doubt that any Hi A team will be better position for position than any college team no matter what.
PG's view is logical & makes sense (to me anyway)

quote:
by FBM: I just don't think we can presume that these guys can come out of college and dominate at just ANY level minor league team for 9 innings.
the discussion was could they compete well, not dominate ..
and also wondering how many true prosects are on a normal minor league roster?
if 100% where are the filler non-prospects playing? do they have their own league?

since it wouldn't be unusual for a top DI to have 4 or 5+ true prospects, it makes sense that the DI could be competitive if 1 or 2 were pretty good pitchers

a guy I know is a journeyman filler playing AAA
Last edited by Bee>
quote:
I would say that any college team with a number 1 overall type pitcher, (price, miller, etc) would have a chance at beating any minor league team. However, position for position the any high A team is gonna be better than any college team no matter what.

The problem with this statement is that a minor league season is 144 games. Could Price, Miller, etc "have a chance" of winning one/some if they were pitching? Well sure they would. Baseball is that type of game. Would the college team with a Price or Miller be competitive over 144? Absolutely not, IMO.
The other flaw in the quoted information is that it seems to forget there might be a pretty darn good pitcher on that minor league roster. Heck, they might even be the equal, or even more accomplished, than Price or Miller. You haven't seen them on CSTV, or other broadcasts, but what if we throw out Chuck Lofgren, Eric Hurley, or Homer Bailey(just called up), as a few examples, for that minor league team. How do we think that DI college team is going to do against these guys who are 92-100(Bailey), 91-93 with a great change up(Hurley) and a 91-95 fastball, plus slider and change(Lofgren).
Minor league has an incredible amount of talent. Many were stars in DI college baseball. When you combine that with the players they draw from the Latin and International countries, you realize the huge gap between college and the minor leagues when you play a full season of baseball, which is always the measure, isn't it????
I hope I am not being presumptuous but I think bbscout is rolling his eyes, again.
Last edited by infielddad
Bee>
quote:
the discussion was could they compete well, not dominate ..

Understand your point but I was specifically addressing this comment by Walawala:
quote:
Im sayin with a legitament guy like miller or lincecum, who have already pitched in the big leagues less than a year after their draft, could easily shut out any minor league for 9 innings with their best performance.

Lincecum has already dominated Big League teams. Miller has had some success as well.

I may have misunderstood what he/she meant by 'easily shut out ... for 9 innings' because I saw the word dominate when discussing Lincecum, and thought the implication was that a team with such a pitcher could dominate any minor league team. Mea culpa if I misunderstood.

I believe infieldad has expressed it well in terms of competing over the long haul of a minor league season, which is just what Mr FB.M expressed last night at dinner when I told him about this discussion ... perhaps on a given day but not over the long season.

infieldad ...

Ref bbscout ... you might well be right about the rolling eyes.
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom
So i think we all agree on this issue...

Of course no college team could come close to competing in a minor league season. I was only talking about a 1 game matchup if the best college pitcher in the nation was on the bump.

Most minor league teams have 5 friday night guys for their rotation with 5 friday night guys in the pen.
quote:
Originally posted by U of A Supporter:
Would love to hear some opinions on how the various stages of Minor League Ball compare to a large D1 school (like SEC, Big 12, ACC). Talent level of players, conditioning, etc..

I was rereading this thread and was wondering how this years crop of pro player parents compare the level of base ball in the minors compared the college
I know Orlando's son has seen a few levels of ball Smile
The long season can take a toll on the body. what about the college season ? can you even compare since college players also have to study.
Last edited by njbb
As fas as short season in the NYPenn, what you have basically a lot of college players now playing with wood. I can't speak for the other levels. Long season A is much different than short season A.

A compressed long season in college can take just as much toll on the body, IMO. 100 innings in a short period of time is tough. The hardest adjustment Dave said the pitchers found was going from 4 days to 7, different preparation.

Travel distance was not that bad (for the short time he was playing), no horror stories I had heard about, he was used to long bus rides (7-10) in college. The schedule is pretty much set up to make life less on the road than more. I am not sure about other leagues.

My son's roommate is a HS 40 something round pick given 30-40K to sign. Three weeks ago he came ready to play. Up at 6:30 am to play early games in the GCL, and nothing to do from that afternoon to the next morning until you have to get up again 7 days a week has become a pretty redundant routine. Of course not living far from the beach is a plus for him, but being only 17, no transportation, very far from home, he is very limited in what he can and can't do here in south florida. Also, the cards GLC in FL is made up mostly of those being moved up from the rookie league in South America, whereas, Johnson City rookie league has more US players and those from college. I am not sure it is such a great place for rookies in that sense. My son's opinion, from what he has seen of the GCL rookie league is young HS age players playing with wood.

My opinion will always remain the same on the subject, unless you have been given a higher round opportunity or get nice life changing money to sign, go to school first.
Last edited by TPM
I agree with everyone on the board. DIA baseball can not match a (R)ookie Club. I would not have picked anyone to play on my team from Southern Miss. DIA 1998 to play on our 1995 Mets Diamond Team and that was 3 year's before before college. I would not pick a 5th Round Yankee SS a 37th Round Yankees Pitcher much less a #57th rounder to start everyday. Not from what I have played with and against in the past. My awnser is no! No comparison and ya'll can take em' better for me. I wouldn't even pick 1/2 of MLB's back-up Short-Stop's to play on my team. Hitting .200-.260. with error's botting will not cut the mustard period and I stand my ground.
Last edited by chinhido

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.