Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by jimwis:
justbaseball,

I think you are Erik Davis' Dad.
It is great to hear He is doing well.
I hope all is well.

Your Son is a very brave young man.
Good luck. I hope I'm right about you being his Dad.

Jim Wis

You are correct on all you have posted!
Now if it were Krak's son getting the call, Krak would be totally befuddled because the coach would be interrupting their beloved Korean siesta or whatever it is that they call that mid-afternoon nap over there.

Can't you just picture Krak waking up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, obviously quite disoriented because of his kimchi induced stupor.
Last edited by gotwood4sale
Tell you all a good story--I may have told it before but we have enough brothers and sisters here so I think it is worthwhile to tell it again

This goes back to 1994 but my son gets the call on 7/1 from a major Texas school--- they like him and all that stuff and they want him to visit--they set it up for the fall so he could see school in session---they do entire thing--fly him --tickets sent FedEx to his attention etc--old line coach telling me he will take care of him as if he were his own and he knows a coach in our region who as given him great input--sounds like a great situation doesn't it?

After it is all over the offer him a $ 1500 scholarship--- it cost more than that to bring him out

Since then I have always asked myself--how much do the July 1 calls really mean ?

The call that counted for him in came May when another Division I school called and told him you are the freshman OF we want to bring in--he flew out the next weekend and it was a done deal-- the process has no general rules--every day it is something new--every school operates differently

BUT as long as it all turns out well in the end does it really matter if you get a call on 7/1 or not
quote:
Since then I have always asked myself--how much do the July 1 calls really mean ?

I tend to agree with you...not as important as they seem at the time, but its still exciting. BTW, perhaps by coincidence the first call ours got was from the 'dream' school for him.

Other schools called and offered scholarships right on the phone...he said he'd consider...but never heard from them again.

quote:
BUT as long as it all turns out well in the end does it really matter if you get a call on 7/1 or not

Very much agree. There was one school our son was VERY INTERESTED in that didn't call on July 1. We had heard ahead of time they were very interested too...so why no call? We asked someone with some connections and they were perplexed too...he offered to find out why. I said, 'no, don't worry right now.' Finally on around July 10 or so the head coach called and apologized...he was just getting to his first calls and it "did not reflect lack of interest." They ended up being a front-runner and probably where he'd have ended up if not for that 'dream' school of his.

So right now, it just doesn't matter nearly as much as people would think. But it IS exciting and the first genuine/tangible indication of real interest and its hard to sleep at night after getting one of those calls.
Last edited by justbaseball
justbaseball

July 1 is just one piece of the entire process

More important to me is if the player/parenst get the deal they want/need---and that can happen any time during the players senior year--my son drove me nuts turning down offers because of this reason or that--he said they weren't what he wanted--in his mind he knew what he wanted

It all turned out well and that is what matters
I agree with everything TR (that's a funny story) and Justbaseball have said. It is very exciting to recieve those calls. And it may pick up, or may die down in weeks to come. I know many players that got many calls, but they were never the right ones. And many coaches will come out immediately and make an offer. It makes their job easier and they don't have to woo you during an official visiit, since they are only allowed 25 and only want to use less than half, and not waste money.

Mom,
Pitchers usually get early calls, as the need for pitchers is great. After that the coaches go on position need, unless they have been recruiting by email for the top prospects in the country. It's a looong summer and looong process. Don't let anyone make you feel badly because their son got more calls than yours.

Also, don't be shocked by the low offers, that's the norm. Many parents get insulted, and it's normal. Just another dose of recruiting reality.
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:

Also, don't be shocked by the low offers, that's the norm. Many parents get insulted, and it's normal. Just another dose of recruiting reality.

****The $$ amount should be secondary to the opportunity. Aren't we as parents basically responsible to educate our kids to the best of our means and abilities?
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
****The $$ amount should be secondary to the opportunity. Aren't we as parents basically responsible to educate our kids to the best of our means and abilities?

If I understand this comment correctly I just want to caution you on a reality of all of this. Sometimes (actually more than 'sometimes') the $$ amount IS and indicator of the probable opportunity...if you get what I mean. The more the investment, usually the more the 'opportunity.'
Last edited by justbaseball
quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball:
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:

If I understand this comment correctly I just want to caution you on a reality of all of this. Sometimes (actually more than 'sometimes') the $$ amount IS and indicator of the probable opportunity...if you get what I mean. The more the investment, usually the more the 'opportunity.'

agreed**************but it still comes down to good consistent performance. Baseball is a game of numbers
Thanks for the advice, I truly appreciate it.

I admire the parents who have the opps to speak of their sons. As a matter of fact, I love their passion and love of child!! I only have a problem with those people who have issues who seem to think the way their kid was recruited was the ONLY WAY!!

I also have problems with the "opinionated" people who JUDGE........I think that should do it, or am I wrong?

I believe each circumstance is unique.
Link copied to your clipboard.