Skip to main content

Let me set-up the scenario. 

Great game. Well officiated with 2 umps. Tied up 4 to 4 after 7 innings (which by the way was played under an 1hr50mins). Extra innings played under international tie breaker rules in play with semi-final game. Starts with man on 2nd 1 out. They hold by getting 2 ground ball outs. Bottom half starts. Our pitcher has come set and looking at runner on 2nd take a normal size lead. Soon as he lifts his leg to pitch all you hear is time-time-time being screamed from around home plate. Pitcher stops his motion. Come to find out it's the batter. Ump never gave time. Balk to 3rd. Medium fly ball/Sac fly, close play at plate but runner was safe.

With that said I'm not complaining. I just used it as a teaching moment for our players to fight through adversity. I'm a really level headed guy, but it just sucks to lose that way (the team is well-known for shady plays). So my question is when does a bush league play like this cross the line into some sort of unsportsmanlike rule. Or is my coach mind just inventing something that doesn't exist.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Batter can't cause a pitcher to balk.

The Comment to rule 5.04 (b) (2) on page 19 of the Official Baseball Rules is extensive. A section of the Comment reads, “If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a “set position” with runners on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has inadvertently caused the pitcher to interrupt his delivery, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start over from “scratch.”

Dam, could have used you guys a couple weeks ago.

I thought there had to be something in the rule book, but as a former player/coach I never had anyone try to pull this dumb S!#T. When I went out to talk with umpire after the balk call, he stated he didn't give the batter time and pitcher can't stop his motion. He had called a pretty good game so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The player should have been tossed for unsportsmanlike conduct and recorded as an out.

from this in baseball rules academy.  https://baseballrulesacademy.c...ortsmanlike-conduct/

(3) Call “Time,” or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is alive and in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk.

Last edited by Viking0

Absolutely.  No different than a coach or dugout yelling balk in the middle of a pitch.  Those things cannot cause a balk even if he stops or balks after that point.  The problem may have been that the umpire was ready to go home or move on to next game and that just made it easier.  I would also say it depends on how loud time was called.  

Baseball is a learning experience every time you open your mouth to speak (or text) or step foot on the diamond. Son has seen his share of game situation questionable tactics by the opposition and learned from it.  Is it right...no, does it work and they get away with it...more often than not.  Teach and play the game like it was intended, you have minimal control over what others do.  Might be difficult to swallow now but years from now as your son is having a brilliant high school or college baseball career this will just be a distant memory.  FWIW you handled it correctly, a teaching moment. 

@PitchingFan posted:

Absolutely.  No different than a coach or dugout yelling balk in the middle of a pitch.  Those things cannot cause a balk even if he stops or balks after that point.  The problem may have been that the umpire was ready to go home or move on to next game and that just made it easier.  I would also say it depends on how loud time was called.  

Possibly on the wanting to go home, but I got the feeling that he just truly believed it was a balk. When I called time and talked to him he basically motioned as if he didn't want to call it, but had to in his mind. As far as the decibel level,  the kid's voice cracked lol. Trust me everyone heard it.   

All are correct - unsportsmanlike and should not be a balk.  Probably would not have ejected the player - but a warning to player and bench definitely warranted.

Similar story - doing a 9 or 10U game ... bases loaded IF popup.  Infield fly called.   A parent behind backstop yells "drop it".   After the out - I loudly announced that whomever it was should be ashamed of themselves.   Then promptly banished all spectators to the outfield fence.

Coaches from both teams thanked me.

Totally with Trust on this one. 

Message to team - Umps will miss calls.  Some other teams will play bush.  Learn to be the better team in every way.  Work harder, play harder, play the right way.  No matter what.  You're gonna lose a few battles but win the war.  Work to leave no doubt.  Work to not find yourselves in extra innings.  Let's kick ass in the next one.

PS - not sure I agree with the "who won the last tourney" approach.  Sounds like it was effective but I WANT my guys to care who wins.  I WANT my guys to make every other team remember too and for them to remember that we did it the right way.  Crap.  Forgot for a minute.  I'm retired 

Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.