Skip to main content

Hi im basically the only position player on my team who regularly wears a cup...

Many of my teammates ask why I wear a cup, and that my glove should protect the jewels lol... Even our Senior SS that is definetely going at least to the minors says that I should just get used to fielding without one because you get better range of motion....

I've tried fielding without a cup and I definitely feel the more range of motion but I also feel my body jumping up on that last hop resulting in some balls bobbled or not fielded with my glove at all....

So, should I practice staying down on the ball without a cup, or keep it and forget about the range of motion...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Jonesy - FWIW, my son was often questioned about why he wore a cup during MS and even last year as a freshman Occasionally.  A lot of his teammates thought it was silly to wear.  On his summer club team, no one asks because almost every player wears a cup... And these are some very good ball players.  So we've always chalked it up to some of the HS teammates, who don't play summer ball, just not understanding the importance of a cup and also not really understanding higher level baseball.  I'm not saying that they're aren't great players who don't wear a cup, because there are many who don't.  But 1) I personally believe it is a very bad idea to play any position other than OF without a cup as an amateur player; and 2) you indicate that you notice a big difference in your confidence when you don't wear one... So to me there's no doubt that you should stick with wearing one.  Confidence is everything... And so is a young man's long term health.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.