Skip to main content

Does anyone have experience with schools that would accommodate an Architecture major with playing baseball? I'm assuming the time constraints would be similar to STEM at a high academic school because they have required studio/shop time. This is my son's main area of interest and initial feedback indicates that it's really hard to combine :-(. He talked to an Ivy League coach yesterday - the school has one of the top architecture programs in the country - and he told him they have no players in that major...

BBMomMaz,

So, Architecture was the one major my oldest son (Ivy engineering major) said would be impossible to do at his school, and play baseball.   Take that for what it is worth.   He said it was ridiculous how busy architectural majors are, as he knew a few socially.  

Good luck to your son, and let us know if you find out anything different.

Does anyone have experience combining architecture undergraduate studies with baseball? If so, I'd love your insight. I presume the conflicts with architecture studio/shop time would be similar to labs for a STEM major. My son knows it's a demanding major, but not sure I'm willing to accept that it can't be combined with playing baseball. Like others said, it would be important to have an understanding with the coach going in. He was also told he couldn't combine baseball with music in high school  but he's done just fine. Takes strong time management and self discipline.

fenwaysouth posted:

BBMomMaz,

So, Architecture was the one major my oldest son (Ivy engineering major) said would be impossible to do at his school, and play baseball.   Take that for what it is worth.   He said it was ridiculous how busy architectural majors are, as he knew a few socially.  

Good luck to your son, and let us know if you find out anything different.

Thanks fenwaysouth. We're checking the rosters of the schools he is most interested in. So far, he discovered that Stanford has 2 players with architecture majors. None at the other schools so far, even the ones with strong architecture programs (Cornell, Cal Poly, USC, UT Austin).

2boydad posted:

try academy of art in San Francisco. D2 ball . also look into what other majors will lead to architecture. My younger son was looking into it once and he said there was different routes. some more lime a master's.

Thanks 2boydad - we will check out Academy of Art. My concern is that if he changes his mind on major down the road, there are not a lot of alternative fields of study at that type of school. There are a couple of routes to take in architecture. He was hoping for 5-year accredited Bachelor of Architecture program. The other option is any undergraduate (as long he gets pre-requisites) and then 2-3 year Master's program.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.