Skip to main content

My son is completing his sophomore baseball season at a D1 college. Is he eligible to transfer to another D1 school after this season? If so, what are the requirements, and what does he have to do to be able to play for another D1 school next year?
He is currently on a baseball scholarship. He may or may not be offered the same scholarship at his current school for next year. He is currently a 2.2 GPA. We do know, through strong sources, that two other D1 schools have comparable scholarships available for him for next year. Any help about what our options are for transferring would be appreciated. However, it is very important that we remain anonymous. Thank you.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son got a very good result from going in and talking to his head coach man to man, before getting into the "grapevine"; his coach appreciated it and has been very helpful, even going so far as to personally call the coaches at schools where my son wanted to transfer. I know of situations where coaches have "blown up" when the situation develops. It seems to me it's best if the head coach gets the word from your son, not the grapevine, but there are no guarantees. You can be sure if 2 schools have schollys "available", the grapevine knows he is leaving. The college baseball community has ears everywhere. I know of a situation where a school heard "through the grapevine" a player was interested in transferring to it. It's head coach asked a pro scout what he thought of the player, and the pro scout ran into the player's head coach a week or so later and said "I hear X is looking to transfer". Very ugly meeting followed.

Being up front and honest with the current coach worked very well for my guy. Good luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.