Skip to main content

TPM probably knows as much about NCAA rules as anyone on the board not involved in recruiting for a living. 

Her son has journeyed from 2nd round pick to AAA to D1 assistant coach. I’m guessing she drives her son nuts with questions. She knows more than a majority of guys on this board. I’ve seen it piss them off. 

You may not always like the delivery. But the information is valuable. She’s constantly learning from a D1 coach (her son) who is recruiting.

One of the exchanges showed a little frustration with her comments. The scenario falls back to what I’ve always seen as one of two major mantras of the board ... Control what you can. Figure out how to deal with what you can’t. Don’t waste time and energy on the rest. The other is go where you’re loved.

This is a frustrating and tough year for recruiting. The mantra never applied more.

Last edited by RJM

From my perspective, the extended dead period may be beneficial to my kid as he is probably not yet displaying a skill that could get him an offer.  Opus Jr is a 2022 RHP that sat 83-86, T87 this summer.  So, he is close but not yet there.  With the dead period we do not feel the pressure to go out this fall and try to perform at a higher level.  Instead, he can get in the gym.  Bigger, faster, stronger.  Hopefully he will come out in the Spring with the velocity that will get him noticed at the mid-major D1's he is interested in.  He has already had discussions with those coaches and plans to send updates to them regularly this fall. Hopefully, that plan works out for him.  

Frm coach now dad,

Nice post! The journey is different for everyone, but the goal usually is the same, use baseball to pay for your education.  

Sons first NCAA coaching position was D2.  It was great. I enjoyed the games, and I enjoyed seeing the parents smile when the pitcher won the game or the player up at bat hits a grand slam.  

You did good, best of luck to your son. 

@RJM posted:

TPM probably knows as much about NCAA rules as anyone on the board not involved in recruiting for a living. 

Her son has journeyed from 2nd round pick to AAA to D1 assistant coach. I’m guessing she drives her son nuts with questions. She knows more than a majority of guys on this board. I’ve seen it piss them off. 

You may not a,ways like the delivery. But the information is valuable. She’s constantly learning from a D1 coach (her son) who is recruiting.

One of the exchanges showed a little frustration with her comments. The scenario falls back to what I’ve always seen as one of two major mantras of the board ... Control what you can. Figure out how to deal with what you can’t. Don’t waste time and energy on the rest. The other is go where you’re loved.

This is a frustrating and tough year for recruiting. The mantra never applied more.

Thanks RJM.

You left out a few things. Sons first paid coaching job was for Strasburg Express. For those  that don't know, HOKIEONE is the GM. That led to the recruiting and pitching coach position at D2 Florida Southern. Following year he came to Florida Atlantic. 

Actually, I don't ask him a lot of questions. He didn't even know that they had extended the dead period! Lol.  A few times if he is in question about something and can't reach the recruiter he sends a text.  He is a new coach, so he is learning.

I actually use google for a lot of questions, and the NCAA site. For the past few years we have sat with the compliance officer in the stands,  who is assigned to be at every game by the AD. She was not as familiar with baseball,  so she would ask me or my husband, why is he out, why does the runner advance, etc, etc. Last year she was just about filled in on D1 baseball. She has been great answering my questions about rules in general, usually in recruiting.

I don't mind questions, always happy to help out. Yes, I have been here for a long time, and during that time I have learned quite a bit from others. What I don't like is someone thinking that I am a dad, or that I might work for the NCAA!  Most baseball moms are pretty smart, don't think that we don't know our stuff!

Thanks again, much appreciated. If anyone ever has a question you can shoot a pm if you don't want to share, I get all kinds of questions!

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.