Skip to main content

My 2014 received an email a couple of days ago from a Pac-12 school's recruiter/coach. It wasn't the Camp flyer type of emails that we have been receiving. It was directed at my son, saying they were impressed by his accomplishments and that this has sparked their interest as a potential student-athlete at their school. It also states that they see great potential in his abilities and would like to get to know him better. They also asked for his updated HS transcript. Now, our whole family is really enthused, as this is one of my son's dream schools. My question to you out there - is this something of a wide net to a lot of prospects, or does this seem like my son is in more of a select group? I have my hopes that this is the start of something big, but also don't want to get too far ahead of myself for both my son and our family. Also, if this does look like the start of something, how aggressive do we get with this school - I don't want to annoy them and turn them off, but at the same time I don't want to ignore them either!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mallot's, Bum, Jr. was getting serious interest from WSU starting his sophomore year. It happens and it happens quickly. He signed after his junior year.

It sounds legit. Just keep in touch with them periodically.. stick to the facts.. and definitely have your son express his interest in them.

If your son is a pitcher PM me.

Be coy but not distant.

Good luck.
Last edited by Bum
Mallott - You're right to be excited! And right to not get too far ahead of yourself.

I remember that feeling of excitement myself...I think my wife called me on the golf course and I coulda sprinted the rest of the round! Big Grin

You question:

quote:
What do you guys think is a ballpark amount of recruiting letters that go out per D1 school per graduation year?

...will drive you crazy, even if you knew the exact answer. It would be different for each school, but the number almost surely exceeds what you might consider 'good odds.'

As was advised above, if its a school your son is genuinely interested in then respond with that information and follow up. Follow the process through. Don't try and out-guess the odds. Let the answer come out of seeing it through.

Good luck and come back and let us know! Wink
Last edited by justbaseball
I think there is reason to get excited. It definitely opens up the door to start that communication with the coach. When my 2013 got his emails/letters for the programs he was interested in we treated them as if they were the real deal. There is no harm in taking that approach as long as you and your son can manage the expectation that it may or may not be. Good luck...
Mallot's Dad,

An invitation to get to know him & his transcipt better is a great start. Absolutely follow up with the requested information and have your son follow up with a phone call to the coach.

It doesn't matter how many notes they sent out. All you should care about is that your son received one. I would expect they will continue their recruiting efforts, and your son will continue his recruiting efforts. If there is a fit for both of you, you will know it and then you take the next step.

Good luck!
From my son's experience of going through this 4 years ago, it sounds very positive to me as well. The fact that they stated "they want to get to know him better" and want to see a copy of his transcripts are both good to hear. D1 schools do not generally go about asking for transcripts unless there is some level of interest and they want to check on the academic fit.

As already stated, get back to them with the asked for information and use the person requesting the information as a contact going forward.

What was stated above about Stanford is generally true. They do cast a fairly large net... Although ending up receiving something from them is still a very good thing. A whole lot of 2014's will not...

Best of luck!
Last edited by birdman14
quote:
Originally posted by Mallot's Dad:
I can't wait to see where this ends up, but at the same time, I'm really enjoying the ride with my son!

Hello Mallot's Dad,

I certainly hope your son gets a very good opportunity to be a D1 player. I advise to never discount JC or other division programs. Unless your son is extremely talented, many who come into D1s as freshman can come away disappointed. Our son received letters from quite a few D1s, not a one ever called him or spoke to him in person at various events he was invited to. The recruiting process at this stage is very exciting until no one calls and the letters stop coming. Be very aware of where your son fits in with his peers. Good luck.
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Up Hitter dad:
quote:
Originally posted by Mallot's Dad:
I can't wait to see where this ends up, but at the same time, I'm really enjoying the ride with my son!

Hello Mallot's Dad,

I certainly hope your son gets a very good opportunity to be a D1 player. I advise to never discount JC or other division programs. Unless your son is extremely talented, many who come into D1s as freshman can come away disappointed. Our son received letters from quite a few D1s, not a one ever called him or spoke to him in person at various events he was invited to. The recruiting process at this stage is very exciting until no one calls and the letters stop coming. Be very aware of where your son fits in with his peers. Good luck.

Very sage advice Pop Up !

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.