Skip to main content

So we went through the D3 recruiting process with my older son, now my middle son (2025 C) is interested in D1s. What's the general recruiting timeline for D1s for non-pitchers? Have most of the non-Ivy already filled most of their 2025 class by now? Or does it vary among the D1 programs? At the end of the day, HA D3 or D2 might be his best option, but wanted to at least have the D1 timeline info. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son is a 2025 pitcher. He had coaches out watching him last summer but it looks like this summer will be his recruiting period. That is what he has been told to expect. He had 2024 non pitcher teammates last summer getting plenty of looks by d1 mid majors. No announced commitments but they are also waiting until spring/ summer of junior year to make a decision.  Depends on level of d1 I think, but for 2025’s this is the big summer and fall coming up. However some will commit d1 as juniors and even summer before senior year.

Last edited by Northeastmom
@BaseballJoe posted:

So we went through the D3 recruiting process with my older son, now my middle son (2025 C) is interested in D1s. What's the general recruiting timeline for D1s for non-pitchers? Have most of the non-Ivy already filled most of their 2025 class by now? Or does it vary among the D1 programs? At the end of the day, HA D3 or D2 might be his best option, but wanted to at least have the D1 timeline info.

The state in which you reside has great JUCO, D2, mid D1 and 3 P5 programs.

I suggest your son become familiar with schools within the state and then he will also have Bright Futures scholarship $$ available. Many stay instate as its affordable to do so.

His timeline will depend upon his ability.

I would start researching schools now.

JMO

@BaseballJoe posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! We just got some numbers on my 2025 and he seems to be right at D1 levels so I guess we'll give it a go this summer with them.

The suggestion to start researching schools now is a good one. You should look at all levels - D1, D2, D3, NAIA & JuCo. Florida has some of the best college baseball in America, at all levels. Catcher is a premium position at any age but especially in D1 baseball in Florida. Some 2025 catchers are already talking to D1 programs in Florida. I can promise you that. So I would advise you to go into this with an open mind. It takes a lot more than metrics to get recruited by good D1 programs.  I would suggest beginning with watching some JuCo games first, then D2, then D1. Try to be as objective as possible and compare the level of play that you observe to the skill level of your son. It may help to get another opinion from a non-relative that you trust. Also try to get a third party opinion from a baseball guy that you aren’t paying in any way (to coach, instruct, or train). Opinions from people on your payroll aren’t worth very much. They stand to benefit by telling you what you want to hear. The very best thing you can get, especially right now, is an opinion from a knowledgeable unbiased third party. It’s important to properly identify the appropriate target early on. I see far too many kids/parents that are hung up on D1 even when it’s obvious that it’s an unrealistic goal. I’m not saying that is the case for you. I’m just saying it’s all too common. As the biggest advocate for your son it’s your job to help him establish a realistic and attainable target goal. Wherever that happens to be. I believe that parents fail in this part of recruiting more than any other way.

Now we're rolling in the forums again. much better lately. Who needs COVID and free speech discussions, eh. btw adbono and I were completely right.  Can't memory hole that. So props to adbono on the above. He's personally crushed the dreams of my 2025 (just kidding, kinda) but after checking him out, who am I to discount his opinion on my kids ability and college playing future. Nothing but love for an honest man.

@BaseballJoe posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! We just got some numbers on my 2025 and he seems to be right at D1 levels so I guess we'll give it a go this summer with them.

The HS or travel program that your son plays for may play a part in where he may end up if he chooses to stay in state. You can note that the mid D1 and D2 programs pull from Florida JUCO. P5 programs not so much.

UF and UM recruit within their geographical area, FSU has all new staff so not sure at this point their plan but FSU tends to bring in players from further north (or used to).

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.