Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Will put in my two cents for my son's school Delta State. Under the present coach Mike Kinneson, since 1997 they are 590 wins and 164 losses, never winning less than 36 games. They were DII national champs in 2004. They won 50 or more games 5 times in the 2000's and 48 games two other times.

Having said all that if you don't want to work extremely hard with weights and running and can't take an "old school" approach from a coach that fought his way from a cut freshman to an All American by his senior year then this probably isn't the school for you. My son loves it, but he's fanatical about lifting and working out anyway.
Coach May,
That's always good to hear! I think it is a testament to any great coach that former players who are coaches now themselves constantly send you their best players. While coach Kinneson can be tough, many former players appreciate it later in life and I noticed several of the fall signings were ex-player's present stars on their own teams.

Unless something has changed West Chester announced they were cancelling all spring sports several weeks ago, they also announced they were closing campus for the entire spring (they were also closed campus all fall).

Shortly after the WC announcement the PSAC as a league stated they were not shutting down springs at this time. To the best of my knowledge the other PSAC schools have had open campus all fall.

Wouldn’t the real question in regards to DII be, which ones are best at development?  Of course there is probably a positive correlation between development and winning but understanding what programs really develop players would seem to be most insightful.

I think it depends on the player.  Lots of programs (particularly at the D2 and NAIA level) flourish by bringing in JC studs and/or top recruits that are already developed/proven college talent.  There are plenty of programs that are somewhere between good and great at development but, in general, players and parents are often surprised to find how little individualized detailed development is provided at the college level.  Plenty of organized group conditioning programs, reps and drills but...

@old_school posted:

Unless something has changed West Chester announced they were cancelling all spring sports several weeks ago, they also announced they were closing campus for the entire spring (they were also closed campus all fall).

Shortly after the WC announcement the PSAC as a league stated they were not shutting down springs at this time. To the best of my knowledge the other PSAC schools have had open campus all fall.

Tough to weed through all the conflicting information. This article in the student paper adds to the confusion. The WCU online schedule is empty, and I don't see WCU on anyone else's 2021 schedule, either.

https://wcuquad.com/6017735/sp...te-on-spring-sports/

@@cabbagedad wrote “ in general players and parents are often surprised at how little individualized detailed development is provided at the college level.”

This is the absolute truth. And often this is more the case at the most competitive programs. The top programs want already developed players that they can plug into the lineup right away. That’s why you hear TCU HC Jim Schlossnagle bitching about having to teach and develop recruits. Top programs (like TCU) expect this to be done somewhere else before players arrive on their campus.

Adbono;

have you any game films from your son team? This would exhibit the ability of players playing D - 2 baseball. During my active days I coached the SSU team and later was the hitting coach.

With the number of players it is difficult to develop players except for "fine tuning".

Coach John [now over 1200 victories] allow me freedom to be creative.

1.Opportunity to developed 2 fast running players into switch hitters'

2. When the game started I named two possible "pinch hitters" to join me in the batting cage to prepare for their role. One left handed and one right handed batters

We discuss their possible situation when they entered the game and what pitch to expect at the plate and the reputation of the umpire to change the "strike" zone when they batted. Also reminded each of the wind change at 3 PM and the arm strength of the OF and infielders. "To prepare is to develop"

Bob

Bob, I don’t have any game video from my son’s D2 school. This is his first year there. The best I can do is a video highlight of the D2 JuCo National Championship game from 2019 that was produced by NJCAA TV - Mesa AZ vs NOC Enid (OK). NOC Enid is in all black uniforms and Mesa is in red tops. Both were very good teams. The starting pitcher for Mesa was the 2019 D2 JuCo Pitcher of the Year. He is now lighting it up at Louisiana Lafayette. The catcher from NOC Enid that hit the game winning HR in the 9th inning is now at Kansas State. Ten players from NOC Enid are now playing at 4 year D2 programs and six are playing at D1. It was one of the best JuCo teams I have seen but they didn’t even win their conference. Western Oklahoma did and their talent was off the charts. Their entire infield was selected in the 2019 MLB draft. I’m pretty sure you have to look at SEC schools to find another program that can say that.

Attachments

I will second the comment made above 10 years ago about the Sunshine State Conference.  I am a bit biased having played in it 3 decades ago.  But it was strong then and, even with a few school subtractions and additions, the solid core remains.  I will even go out on a limb and say that it's best schools would also be among the best at the Division 1 level (not counting the Power 5s).  I also judge strength of conference by how many pros it produces.  One small example,  our roster had 6 draft picks over a 3-year period.  Not too shabby for a D-II.  Sunshine State is pretty high level baseball.   

Adbono two of the players from that Enid team are now on son's D2 team, both just transferred from D1 schools (Valpo and TRGV)...was a very good team in Enid that year for sure.  Covid is already showing its effects as this D2 doesnt seem to get many D1 drop downs and these 2 transfers appear pretty good.  Im very glad theyre there!

@edcoach posted:

Adbono two of the players from that Enid team are now on son's D2 team, both just transferred from D1 schools (Valpo and TRGV)...was a very good team in Enid that year for sure.  Covid is already showing its effects as this D2 doesnt seem to get many D1 drop downs and these 2 transfers appear pretty good.  Im very glad theyre there!

Yeah, I heard about that. Both of those players will help your team. Both can swing it - especially Taylor who is one of my all time favorite kids.

https://community.hsbaseballwe...70#67190315968906770

https://csacsports.com/news/20...-baseball-coach.aspx

Looks like a total reset of a successful WCU baseball program... School announces no Spring play. The pitching coach/recruiting coordinator announced his departure in mid-October. Head Coach gone in December........ Covid sucks on many levels.

Last edited by Velo From The Stretch

https://community.hsbaseballwe...70#67190315968906770

https://csacsports.com/news/20...-baseball-coach.aspx

Looks like a total reset of a successful WCU baseball program... School announces no Spring play. The pitching coach/recruiting coordinator announced his departure in mid-October. Head Coach gone in December........ Covid sucks on many levels.

Really sad. Especially for the kids there and those committed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.