Skip to main content

@TPM posted:

There is no cap on FA signing but anything over 175 goes against total cap.

Edit...125k

Yeah.  I'm more p...d at the handing out signing bonuses like this

CALEBBOLDEN4YR$7,500$208,800
MATTBROSKY4YR$5,000$194,300
JASONFRANKS4YR$2,500$176,400
JONATHANBRAND4YR$7,500$173,200
TAYLORYOUNG4YR$2,500$169,100
GRIFFINCHENEY4YR$1,000$166,700
JOESTEWART4YR$7,500$162,500
CORYACTON4YR$2,500$159,800
JOSHHATCHER4YR$1,000$155,300
MATTCOUTNEY4YR$7,500$152,800
ANDREWKECK4YR$2,500$151,000
IANCHURCHILL4YR$7,500$150,400
ISAACCOFFEY4YR$7,500$150,000
SIMONREID4YR$2,500$149,600
Last edited by CollegebaseballInsights

The last 2 years was a force upon position, wasn't there a cap of ~20k for free agents the last year or 2?

The last couple of years have been a mess with a short draft and signing caps. The caps were eliminated. Now, there an signing amount that doesn’t count against the slot money available. The amount over that limit cuts into the slot money total.

Last edited by RJM

I think from a pure player dev perspective contracting the minors makes sense, player dev got a lot more efficient (and expensive) so you don't need as many minor leaguers in hope they figure it out by coincidence.

For example you now can use high speed camera to find out why a new pitch is not working instead of just trying to teach 10 pitchers a new grip and hope that 4 learn an efficient third pitch.

There is downside of this too of course, towns are losing minor leagues so kids lose an opportunity to watch affordable pro ball. Sure there is indy ball but nobody cares about indy ball, people are watching milb because they feel tied to the main org and hope they see a couple future big leaguers.

Also keith law said that the quality of play has gone down a little since contraction of the minors, he believes that many players struggle with the jump from the complex to full season A ball so that A ball level of play has gone down because players who would have gone to low A are pushed up to A ball too early because the low A level is gone.

Couple of questions. Does NIL change anything for a senior and his ability to negotiate? He could potentially be offered more to come back than a pick 11-20.

when a guy signs in the 8th round for $7500, is he still under contract for years or is that part of a negotiation? Why wouldn’t they just sign as a free agent? What’s the upside for the drafted kid?

Last edited by baseballhs
@baseballhs posted:

Couple of questions. Does NIL change anything for a senior and his ability to negotiate? He could potentially be offered more to come back than a pick 11-20.

when a guy signs in the 8th round for $7500, is he still under contract for years or is that part of a negotiation? Why wouldn’t they just sign as a free agent? What’s the upside for the drafted kid?

I don't think there are many players getting substantial NIL money in baseball. If they are I'd imagine they're Day 1 draft picks to begin with.

The issue with the draft from a players perspective is the team owns his rights for a year. So if a team has plans for you to sign for peanuts and you'd rather go in a non slot round or undrafted you're just out of luck. Rocker last year was SOL.

On the flip side if you're a guy who is drafted in a slot round you always have the slot value on your side. Teams wants to sign under slot. If you don't agree to sign under slot they lose all the money for that pick and can't put it towards another guy. So if guys are signing way under slot I'd imagine it was negotiated prior to the pick being made.

Only way around this is "entering" the draft where you voluntarily put your name in and accept the results. Or baseball is required to cover 25% of slot or whatever the case may be.

I think you do it because you are betting on yourself. That you will be able to show something in the minors and make a go of it. Beyond that if you want to stay in baseball you can put professional player on your resume as well. At least now you get paid housing along with the minuscule minor league salaries but I agree that it is insulting for all the blood, sweat, tears and investment that gets a player to that point.

This is JMO but I think the FA signings open up opportunities for some that have had injuries and/or not enough innings or at bats but have the  tools. Plus every year after your 3rd unless you are a true prospect the $$ go down.

I don't think it's our place to question why. In the end players do what's best for them and their family, not for anyone else. Also keep in mind that many universities now have programs that pay for returning athletes to finish their degree and graduate so they don't need the mlb scholarship $$$.

I am more asking if a 7500 deal commits you to 6 years no matter what (unless released) instead of doing a free agent deal which I am assuming doesn't lock you into a 6 year contract.  I may be completely wrong.  I am also asking if drafted players are ever able to negotiate down the time of commitment.  6 years is a long time to live off $7500 and the Milb pay.

@baseballhs posted:

I am more asking if a 7500 deal commits you to 6 years no matter what (unless released) instead of doing a free agent deal which I am assuming doesn't lock you into a 6 year contract.  I may be completely wrong.  I am also asking if drafted players are ever able to negotiate down the time of commitment.  6 years is a long time to live off $7500 and the Milb pay.

My son got the standard player contract, as all players do.  He was UDFA.  It has the same 6 years...and he got no bonus

@PABaseball posted:

Interesting, thought there would be more HSers. I wonder how many actually end up signing. Tough year for D2s and I would imagine becomes the norm moving forward.

The trend is towards taking college guys because front offices nowadays prefer floor and predictability over ceiling.

That is especially true for pitching where teams are very vary of HS pitchers but also HS catchers and even other hitters.

Teams are now less likely to take raw, toolsy HS hitters, they mostly take HS hitters with tools who already look quite polished against higher level pitching, if someone has some swing and miss they prefer to let him go to college and see if he can iron it out there.

10 or 15 years ago that was different, they would take a flyer on a raw toolsy HS hitter and see if they can develop him but the track record of those guys wasn't great.

I read some interview with one of the prospect guys (I think it was longenhagen) and he said basically in zone swing and miss is not accepted with HS draft prospects. It's ok if you whiff at a throat high FB or a slider in the dirt, that is something you can fix, but if you miss on pitches clearly in the zone, especially fastballs that would be almost like a death sentence as they expect you to not have contact issues at that level.

He also said Gallo was one of the few higher drafted HS guys who would swing and miss at fastballs in the zone at that level and still get drafted highly and while he had a very nice career so far his K issues have persisted his whole career.

Overall the trend seems to be again to look for more contact oriented guys, not slap hitters with no pop but great contact hitters who have some pop too, the prototype everyone wants is like an alex bregman who has a low K rate, single digit k-bb% and still be able to hit 25-30 homers as that type is seen as the safest floor with still a good ceiling.

Last edited by Dominik85

@ptwood thus confirming the point of that for the last 2 years, there really wasn't an option for those that came back for additional year.

There were 2 events that curtailed the decisions of many:

1 - Eliminate of 40 minor league teams

2 - Free Agent Signing Caps

Now, they were selected in rounds 6 - 10 swamp vs being able to sign on as a free agent.

Note, this is not to say they would have received more, but if a team selects you, there should be a minimum value they would need to provide towards the slot (e.g. 25% of the slot)

Note, IMHO this is a MLB and MLBPA collusion issue.

MLBPA has always been happy to negotiate away the rights of players they don't represent. MiLB players need to unionize but understandably they're too focused on progressing their playing careers to spend time on organizing activities.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.