Skip to main content

Hi all,

I'm a 2018 catcher looking to play D3 baseball in the northeast.  My grades are good, I have a 32 composite on the ACT and a 3.5 GPA at the 11th best high school in the nation according to US News and World Report.  Anyways, I've been in communication with a D3 coach for awhile now.  He asked me to send me my grades and test scores to him in our most recent emails.  The admissions counselor that he emailed said that I would be a great fit, and that she would love to meet when I am up on my unofficial visit in 2 weeks.  I am just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if anyone can tell me how interested they think the coach is.  Other information that could be relevant is that the coach has expressed multiple times that they need at least 2 catchers for my recruiting class, and that he wants me to keep him posted with things.  I have a 1.95 pop time and 87 mph exit velocity.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

C24 posted:

I am just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if anyone can tell me how interested they think the coach is.

C24, you are probably aware that there are no roster size limits in D3 baseball. That can mean that the coach's interest in you may not align with your interests in the program. He may want your strong academic credentials filling a roster spot, or your parents' ability to pay tuition, or a bullpen catcher, etc. I assume that you're looking for a fair chance to earn playing time.

Unfortunately, most of the onus is on you to evaluate your chances of playing there. The coach may want you, but is this school a good fit for you on the baseball side? That can be difficult to figure out, but it can be done. Have you attended any of this team's games? Do you know anyone who's played there? Have you checked roster size? Talked to any of the players?

It mostly boils down to... are you as good as the kid who currently has the job? Not just framing, or blocking. The first priority is hitting (average and power, more is better). After hitting, a strong arm is important. Then durability. If the current catcher is a contributor (not a superstar), and you can see yourself playing at his level or above in a couple of years, then there's a good chance you could play there, too. If not, you may have trouble getting on the field.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

MIDATLANTICDAD - The coach has expressed to me that their all-region starting catcher is graduating this year. Also, one of my friends, a LHP, is entering this year as a freshman, and has told me that their backup catchers aren't very good and that he wouldn't want them to catch him.  For these reasons I would like to think that I would be able to compete for a starting job early on.  As for their roster size, they had 38 guys last year, but only 3 catchers, one of which graduates this upcoming year.

C24 posted:

MIDATLANTICDAD - The coach has expressed to me that their all-region starting catcher is graduating this year. Also, one of my friends, a LHP, is entering this year as a freshman, and has told me that their backup catchers aren't very good and that he wouldn't want them to catch him.  For these reasons I would like to think that I would be able to compete for a starting job early on.  As for their roster size, they had 38 guys last year, but only 3 catchers, one of which graduates this upcoming year.

Excellent. Sounds promising. Keep in touch with your friend about this year's recruits, and try to catch a fall intraquad game. You don't have to commit to anything during your visit, but it's ok to express your interest. Your decision date may be driven more by the application process.

C24, you have not mentioned whether this coach has seen you play. Has he  and on how many occasions.

Secondly, did this contact and request for transcripts come from the Coach reaching out to you or from you reaching out to the coach.

Third, have you seen this team play?  If so, being very objective, do you think you can compete as a freshman and in what areas do you need to improve to do so?

Finally, I would not use your friend as a reliable reference for the teams catching needs.  This needs to be information which you discuss directly with the coach. Toward that end, other than saying he needs 2 catchers in his class, what has he told you about how he sees your skills translating into what is needed with his team.  What areas of improvement has he described would be necessary for you between now and August of 2018 to compete as a freshman. What has he talked about in terms of being bigger, stronger, more powerful and more explosive along with skills needed from behind the plate. While his taking your academics to admissions and your having an UV are good signs in some ways, my view is there is much more needed on your side to truly capture answers as to the interest of this coach in you as a player/catcher and your ability to compete and be successful in the program.

Good luck with this coach and program and others. You certainly have solid academics and test scores.  Hopefully  a number of conversations with this coach (listening carefully to his answers) will help you understand his interest in you as a potential player.  If he truly wants you and believes you can contribute, he will communicate that in some ways which you have yet to hear apparently.

infielddad - yes, he has seen me play in my team's most recent tournament.  Second, the requests came from the coach, in addition to the UV being scheduled by him.  Third, I have not seen the team play, but they won their conference and were in an NCAA regional this year.  He has told me that he sees me as a very good defensive catcher, and that I will hit for more average than power at that level.

C24 posted:

Exciting time for you!  Midatlantic's first post is very good - points out some D3 realities.  The info you are gathering is good also.  But, focus on the high bar, not the low bar.  That coach will be searching to find the catcher that can replace his all-region player who is graduating.  Are you close to being that player?  Is there good evidence that you can be that player in a year, two at the most?  If not, the coach will be searching hard to replace him, despite whether you are there, and despite whether there are 1, 2 or 5 other catchers there.  He will not want a drop off from that standard.  This is the bar you should be measuring against.  It is perfectly fine (in fact suggested) that you ask him if he sees you as being that guy.  If he says something like "it's possible but it will take a lot of work", make sure you are hearing what you need to hear instead of what you want to hear.

PS - didn't read IFdad's post till after I posted... much the same thoughts.  Also, the admissions person saying you would be a good fit is a good sign from an admittance standpoint but has no relevance in regards to the coach interest.  The school would very much love to collect your tuition whether or not you make the roster on the baseball team.

Last edited by cabbagedad
C24 posted:

infielddad - yes, he has seen me play in my team's most recent tournament.  Second, the requests came from the coach, in addition to the UV being scheduled by him.  Third, I have not seen the team play, but they won their conference and were in an NCAA regional this year.  He has told me that he sees me as a very good defensive catcher, and that I will hit for more average than power at that level.

Thanks for this update.  Does this program have a Fall ball schedule? If so, could you either reschedule your UV until then, or confirm a second UV with the coach so you can see them play and watch the coaches coach? 

While there might be some variability, making a Regional by winning their conference means they are darn good and well coached.

You will have to compete at a high level, higher than you have to date (much higher probably). I don't say this to scare you away but rather to challenge yourself and to provide some backdrop for your discussions with the coach. 

Questions like what do you like about me defensively and what specifically  can I do to be better in framing, receiving, blocking, controlling pitchers, etc is one line of possible discussion and  questions.

Similar questions would relate to hitting...what would I need to do to hit with more power. How do you see me being able to contribute in your lineup if I do those things.  What improvement do I need to make to challenge for innings as a freshman?

Finally, do you have a frame of reference from talking with other college coaches.  Honestly, some will find every reason not to like you.  Some will find every reason to like you.  While you are pretty early in terms of D3 for a 2018, trying to get more information about whether this coach is excited you are on his recruit list and feels you will contribute and, as Cabbage indicated, replace his returning catcher should be your goal.  You don't need all the answers at one time.  You want this coach to know you want to be as good as his All Region catcher and whether he thinks you can get there and how you would do that, in his eyes and experience.

One really important aspect might actually occur after the UV. That would be  when he calls you next.

Last edited by infielddad

C24 great stuff!  Congrats on the interest.  I think the above D3 advice is excellent but wanted to add a few things based on our journey with our 2017, especially since you asked if anyone else has been in a similar situation...

Yes, asking for your academic info is the first step, and indicates the coach is interested.  Level of interest unclear, but interested.  No coach ever offered 2017 without seeing his academic info and getting the thumbs up from admission.  Some who did do that never offered (both D1 and D3).  If this is a NESCAC school, then they have a banding concept, similar to the Academic Index for the D1 Ivies, and your scores and grades put you in a tricky position where they might like you in order to "balance" the recruiting class.  My older son was told by a coach that if he went to that school the coach could go out and get two dumb asses, given how high his scores were.  I kid you not.  

Admissions gave the green light for the coach to recruit you, as they have determined you are "academically admissable." So the next step for us was either an offer and/or an unofficial visit in the case of the D3s.  The fact the coach invited you already is another sign of his interest in you.    

Depending on which school this is, the D3 guys get a certain number of slots, just like D1.  The trade off since there is no scholarship money and no National Letter of Intent to sign is that if the coach provides admissions support and uses one of his slots, then the expectation is that you apply early decision, and it is binding.  You probably know all that.

Some schools (MIT and Hopkins come to mind, there are others) do not have the same process and provide a list to admissions. The "recruit" may or may not get in, even if on the list.  So for the school you are talking to, at some point you need to determine where they are in their process (they have 5 of 7 slots filled already for example).  

You should focus on a few things:  

1.  Keep working hard (your pop time is great, your exit velo OK but there is always room for improvement, right?).

2.  Cast a wider net.  If this coach is interested, there are likely others who would be too.  Hopefully you are in touch with other schools.  Trying to play D3 baseball almost requires this!  Plus one offer can lead to other offers.  Your academic credentials are solid so that you should be admissable anywhere, with baseball support (without baseball support, it is rolling the dice like everyone else in the world to get in). So cast a wide net!  Find other schools that are a good fit if you haven't already.

3.  Financial issues:  make sure you and your parents are clear about the costs and financing.  If you will qualify for financial aid, have your parents meet with a FA advisor while on the visit so they understand what may or may not be possible at this particular school.  Some have merit aid for scores like yours, some are entirely need based.  

4.  Prepare questions for your visit to ask the coach. It is entirely appropriate as mentioned above to ask the coach where he sees you, ask about the timeline for the 2018 class (if he hasn't already offered).  But think of a few other questions that show your interest in this school.

5. See #2

As I said, some coaches asked for academic info, some even talked about scheduling a visit, but some of these never manifested into offers.  One NESCAC school spoke in July as if 2017 son was their top recruit, said they couldn't wait to have him come in the fall with the other guys they were lining up and it was going to be a great class, etc.  Admissions had given the green light (he had a very high score and excellent grades so that was never in doubt anywhere really).  This was all after months of communication.  Son didn't hear anything for a few weeks and asked the RC about scheduling the visit.  They never even replied.  I mention this so you know that things can happen -- or NOT happen -- really quickly.  That's why it is good to make sure you have multiple schools where both the academics and baseball are a good fit.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

My 2017 went through a similar process with a number of D3 academic schools.  There is some great advice here in this thread.   To summarize, in terms of what 2017 experienced, I would emphasize:

1.  Do your unofficial visit during the time the team is practicing in the Fall.  Ask the coach when that is and tell him you would like to watch a practice/scrimmage.  There is a huge value in visiting in the Fall before applications are due and you can assess the school in session and watch your future competition on the field.  And visiting then confirms your interest is sincere.

2.  If the coach really likes you, he will offer you a "guaranteed" roster spot but will pressure you to apply Early Decision (ED).  Do it only if you are 100% certain you want to go to this school and your family can afford it.  You can consider other schools and get quicker admission decisions by applying Early Action.  If he really likes you, he will wait (especially since they are already got a positive pre-read on you). 

3. The only way you can know how this school rates is to visit other schools and talk to other coaches.  My 2017 had 9 such visits (4 were over one long weekend) before deciding his school in late March.  He was diligent in considering all of the main factors and really adopted the mantra "if the baseball does not work out, could I see myself happy at this school for four years."  Finding a match for his interest in engineering combined with baseball necessitated that many visits for the right fit.

4. Remember there is no athletic money available at the D3 level, so do your research on the amount of merit money that might be available, if any (some of the elite academic do not offer merit money because all of their students are elite).  If you think you might qualify for financial need-based aid, get on the FASFA application the minute it opens (I think Oct 1st).  Knowing how much assistance you can get toward each school is a critical part of most kid's final decision process.

5.  Keep working on your game.  If you are looking at D3 schools, there is no sure thing.  D3 coaches recruit later and cast a wide net because they have to.  They can change their mind all the way into your Spring season Freshman year before you really have a roster spot.

6. Congrats on your academic credentials.  But a higher GPA in your Fall semester will help your cause for admission and aid.  Maybe even retake the ACT and score even higher?  Some schools match their aid to the level of ACT score.  2017 saw merit amounts increase up to $2K more by scoring two points higher on his retest.

As others have asked, let us know how this all works out.  Lots of kids are in similar situations and would learn from your experience and decisions.  Good luck.

C24, you have received some excellent advice on the D3 recruiting process. My son went through a similar process (2016) where he had strong interest and actually verbally committed to a D3 program only to not get through admissions, 33 ACT and 4.4ish GPA. Even though he had a strong desire to play in college we both knew it had to be a good fit academically. The D3 he committed to was a good fit for his major just couldn't get through admissions. So I guess what I am trying to say is that you might at some point hit a crossroad of getting into a very good academic school versus playing baseball at a JUCO or something similar.  My son got into a couple of pretty good schools and passed on a few other college baseball opportunities to pursue his education. My advice is to keep up your grades and strive for a higher test score. Keep all your options open, good grades and test scores will provide you with many more opportunities for both academics and baseball.

Last edited by standballdad

C24 - I agree with StandballDad that your intended major is a big part of this, and something you didn't mention.   D3s from the Northeast tend to be very liberal arts focused, so I would keep that in mind.   You are doing all the right things, and you seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders.   The thing that matters most to the coach is your playing ability and if he can get you admitted into the school.  If you can do those two things you make his life much easier, he'll be a big supporter.   He has his set of baseball standards as does admissions with your grades.   So if you have those two things covered, you should be in good standing to get their support.  If and when you become serious with the school you can request an admission pre-read, and I recommend a call or visit to the Financial Aid office.   Although my son did not decide on a D3 school, he was offered by a few D3s.   We spoke to a few of their FA offices and they were very helpful in giving us the FA information we needed to make an informed decision with merit scholarships and financial aid.  

Unofficial visits are a great tool for you to see for yourself what college academic life and college baseball is all about.   The combination of the two is a lot of work.  I would pay particular attention to the balance and discipline you are going to need to do both academics and baseball well.   

In terms of recruiting, continue to reach out to additional D3 schools to get invited to official and unofficial visits.   Coaches are not letting up on their recruiting and neither should you.   The more D3 schools you visit the clearer your perspective becomes.    You have a lot to offer both with your grades and your skills.  JMO.

Good luck! 

I do not have much to add as the previous posts were very insightful and covered most the items I was going to.

How far away are you from this school. Many have asked to reschedule the UV. You are not limited to only one unofficial visit. My son made several UV visits to the schools he was interested in. He was on campus multiple times as several of the schools.

I agree with others that you should see the tam play. If the school is close enough you can visit on your own for a spring or Fall game.  Just let the coach know you are coming. 

C24 posted:

Just to give everyone an update, he actually offered me today, so I guess my question has been answered. Thank you to everyone who responded.

This is outstanding news C24. You now have the opportunity to be part of that elite group of approx 6% of HS players that play NCAA baseball. http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/probability.htm

6% .......Think about that

Congratulations!

Last edited by StrainedOblique

C24

Congratulations

I have a question though.  Reading your comments it sounds like you might be capable of playing at a fairly high level.  I can see why the coach there is so interested in you.  Being a 2018 grad are you totally convinced about going to this DIII college.  If so, that's great.  It just seems kind of early to me, but maybe not.

Maybe someone can help me here,  I always thought most DIII recruiting was done during the senior year and not before.  I used to coach at that level and may have forgotten, but seems like we never tried to recruit a player before his senior season.  I suppose academic stature could play a big part in some cases.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.