Skip to main content

You folks are a wealth of knowledge and I have always enjoyed reading the comments on this site.  Lots of great information!  I have a situation with my son, thought I would put it out there and get some advice/comments.

Son is a Junior pitcher at a D3 school, complained of shoulder pain in January.  Trainer sent him to doctor, they examined him and gave him a shot...I assume cortisone and had him lay out of throwing for a couple of weeks.  Pain continued, treatment by the trainer before and after practice continued.  I emailed the trainer with my concerns she responded saying basically the situation was under control.  I requested an MRI and was told that would be an option.  Son Continued to practice and play on a limited basis.

Finally at the end of the season an MRI was preformed, slightly torn labrum.  We have requested a medical hardship for the past season, what should have been a season ending injury was mishandled by the training staff.

The school indicated that they would seek a medical reinstatement from the NCAA.  I guess what I would like to know is what is the next step?  Are there things my son should be doing to or people he should be contacting regarding this or should he simply wait and do as directed by the school?

I think he needs to be proactive but I have no idea exactly what he should be doing.

Comments and advice are welcome and thank you in advance for taking the time to assist.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you sir, I will do that.  To add to the continuing story, we met with the Dr. yesterday, suregery is required and will take place this summer.  He will not be able to pitch again until next May.  I guess this kinda answers the questions as he will use a medical waiver for next year.  His Junior year becomes a lost season.  Sad

I am so sorry to hear about your son's injury.

I think he could get this year back in eligibility, if you feel he may need it pursue it through the school or contact the NCAA.

IMO they were negligent in allowing him to continue to throw without actually knowing what was going on.  That alone should be a good reason for them to go to the NCAA. 

A good lesson here to be learned by all, a diagnosis with a MRI should be first before the shot, not vice versa. 

Best of luck!

I remember reading that.  The problem is that most insurance companies don't allow surgery just to see what's going on.  And not everyone gets to go to doc andrews.  Son has had some issues but never had a shot just to make him feel better without actually seeing what is causing the issue.  Anti inflammatories first then pt.  When he got a shot it was given with caution, rest then pt with a throwing program all after the mri.

Thank you...my son is seeing Dr Shane Barton, a very qualified Orthopedic Doctor, Has worked with Dr Andrews.  The problem is the negligence of the training staff, even given the way it was handled once he continued to have pain he should have been returned to the Orthopedic Dr for further examination not left to flounder through the season.  I have tried to back off and let my son handle his business, I must say I am kicking myself right now for not grabbing somebody by the throat.  Now I guess my question is can he have his junior season returned to him via medical waiver and take another medical waiver year for this upcoming year?  I will continue to persue this issue until I have exhausted all avenues.  Thanks again for the input

Osage

Contact the school yourself and if you get no results contact the ncaa.
Make sure that you have a serious discussion with your son regarding having this surgery.  It is very difficult for pitchers to recover from any type of shoulder surgery.  If it interfers with everyday activities he must have it but keep in mind that he will be behind two seasons and will need to depend upon the trainer for recovery.

osage10,

In principle, it is possible to get two hardship waivers (14.2.5), and then he might be granted a waiver to the 10/15 semester/quarter limit (14.2.2.4).  If the school is successful in obtaining all three waivers, then he could pitch in his 6th year of college.

I looked up your son's pitching record for 2013.  He pitched in 5 games, 3 of which were in the last week of the season.  Based on the letter of 14.2.5, it isn't obvious how he would qualify for a waiver for the 2013 season.  He clearly wasn't "incapacitated", especially given his excellent ERA.  All of the games occurred after he had seen a doctor (who didn't find a reason to shut him down). 

Of course, it doesn't hurt to try for the waiver.

Thats the rub here...he is an excellent pitcher struggled with the pain and some lack of consistancy...due to what we believe is related to the shoulder injury.  The fact that the doctor did not shut him down has more to do with the lack of follow up by the training staff.  He should have been referred back to the doctor and wasnt, instead he toughed it out.  Had he been reevaluted by the doctor and sent for an MRI he would have been shut down...instead he struggles through the season wastes a year.  I have contacted the AD she assures me she will do everything she can to assist him.  My son works with a very good trainer in New Orleans, he will be with him all summer and then after surgery.  My son is confident he will come back stronger. I guess we will see how it plays out.  Hey 3finger how the heck do send a pm on this site now?

Osage

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.