Skip to main content

Any word on when they will announce the decsion for the NCAA dead period?

I have a late-blooming HA lefty (6'2 170#) who has been sitting 85-88mph all summer.  He is starting to get really frustrated.  He worked hard during the spring and made a mechanical change with his front side.  Velo jumped 5mph from February.  He has seen other committed kids stay static or even dropped with regards to their velo.  Yes, we are doing the video thing, but as you all know, it ain't the same as seeing someone live.  Head First is next week but it looks like a lot of the HA D1 schools are pretty much to capacity for 2021.   He is currently talking with 5-6 schools but it seems more like flirting than anything else.  

My bet is that fall camps are a no go but it sure would be nice to see some coaches at Jupiter and Lakepoint in Oct if it is not too late.  

Currently, PG has 2000 kids committed for 2021.  Looks like most of the past 5 years have 5000 - 6000 kids list commitments, but I am sure for 2021 it will be less given roster sizes up in the air.  

Door is not closed but is seems to be in motion...where is the love???

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Everything I've read says the dead period looks likely be extended through the end of the year.  When will they announce it?  Well, the current one expires in 24 days, so it's hard to imagine a decision not being made in the next week or so.  But I haven't found when they're scheduled to meet next.  My advice to all uncommitted players is to structure your recruiting plan around the premise that the DP is here for at least another 5 months.  If by some miracle, it opens in less than 5 months, things will simply get better and "easier."  Plan for the worst (get creative and aggressive) and hope for the best.  In that order.

I know it can be hard to stay positive as the commitments keep rolling in on PG, but I agree with CTbballDad, try to stay positive as you head to HeadFirst.  Definitely have him touch base with any coaches he has been talking to/emailing to remind them he's going and maybe send some more video if you have it or recent updates to his stats.

Fingers crossed for him!

If he is riding 86-88 what is topping?  OK, good, or great control of fast ball?  what other pitches?  If he is truly riding 88 and has good control and extra pitches, he needs to be at PG tournaments.  If you can show his control, topping 90-91 if he is riding 88, and extra pitches then he will get committed.  Go to PG message board and post that you are looking for a team for upcoming tournaments.  Get his 90-91 on his PG profile and coaches will start calling.

@LuckyCat posted:

I know it can be hard to stay positive as the commitments keep rolling in on PG, but I agree with CTbballDad, try to stay positive as you head to HeadFirst.  Definitely have him touch base with any coaches he has been talking to/emailing to remind them he's going and maybe send some more video if you have it or recent updates to his stats.

Fingers crossed for him!

He should reach out before Headfirst, even better if his summer coaches reach out before Headfirst, to coaches who will be there, especially those 5 or 6 he's been talking to.

@PitchingFan posted:

If he is riding 86-88 what is topping?  OK, good, or great control of fast ball?  what other pitches?  If he is truly riding 88 and has good control and extra pitches, he needs to be at PG tournaments.  If you can show his control, topping 90-91 if he is riding 88, and extra pitches then he will get committed.  Go to PG message board and post that you are looking for a team for upcoming tournaments.  Get his 90-91 on his PG profile and coaches will start calling.

The OP said HA LHP. HA means high academic. There are better places to focus than PG for HA. A few of them in fact. 

He sits 85-87 into 3 innings touching 88 a few times and can locate.   I’ve been told a great change, good cutter and OK curve.  we all know sitting 88-90 is a different story...

We are dialed in for Az academic showcase tryouts in October but would like to have a ride for PG Jupiter which is near the same timeframe.  I’ll get on the message board ASAP.  Good idea, thx.

Also looking at PBR upper class World Series at LakePoint in October as well.

Last Summer, I never would have thought it would take 90mph to get him committed.  Thanks Covid...

If you are adamant HA, which means High Academic, sorry that was my sarcasm toward Adbono, then no need to go to Jupiter but I sensed you would not turn down others from other messages.  If only HA then those guys don’t typically do PG, which is Jupiter or PBR.  If open to any then, they are your best bet.  Looks like yours is not far behind where mine was and he is P5 so if you need help dm me. 

@PitchingFan posted:

If you are adamant HA, which means High Academic, sorry that was my sarcasm toward Adbono, then no need to go to Jupiter but I sensed you would not turn down others from other messages.  If only HA then those guys don’t typically do PG, which is Jupiter or PBR.  If open to any then, they are your best bet.  Looks like yours is not far behind where mine was and he is P5 so if you need help dm me. 

Although I think some HA D1s ARE watching PBR livestreaming from Lakepoint, so I would not rule out the WS there in October, especially if the dead period gets extended and your son is still uncommitted. 

I guess that's technically good news?  Since everyone was saying it'd be through 12/31?  But who am I kidding?  Roughly a month from now, they'll extend it out again.  This is what you call recruiting blue balls for thousands and thousands of kids.  Add it to list of things we keep taking from them.

@DanJ posted:

I guess that's technically good news?  Since everyone was saying it'd be through 12/31?  But who am I kidding?  Roughly a month from now, they'll extend it out again.  This is what you call recruiting blue balls for thousands and thousands of kids.  Add it to list of things we keep taking from them.

Coaches have to be compliant when the students return, so traveling isn't an option right now. 

But they are virtually watching games. Let your son know coaches he has contacted where he will be playing this fall.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.