Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Does this apply only to D1’s?   A D3 just talked to my kid on the phone today, and wants him to visit campus in September.

From ncaa.org:

"During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period."

If a school is a member institution, regardless of division, this is the definition of "dead period."

@Prepster posted:

From ncaa.org:

"During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period."

If a school is a member institution, regardless of division, this is the definition of "dead period."

NCAA is edging it's way toward becoming a dead entity.  Emmert canceling Fall Championships is not a move in the right direction.  Football isn't his to cancel, but it makes the SEC, ACC, and B12 look bad if football participates in a championship and the other sports don't.  They want a championship and they don't want to look bad.  These conferences are getting closer to, "NCAA you have failed us too many times."

@Pedaldad posted:

NCAA is edging it's way toward becoming a dead entity.  Emmert canceling Fall Championships is not a move in the right direction.  Football isn't his to cancel, but it makes the SEC, ACC, and B12 look bad if football participates in a championship and the other sports don't.  They want a championship and they don't want to look bad.  These conferences are getting closer to, "NCAA you have failed us too many times."

Regardless of how one feels about playing sports this fall/winter, the lack of any sort of national policy prompts the question of why the NCAA exists at all in its current form. They're in for a rough couple of years in Washington regardless of what happens in November.

@Dominik85 posted:

What is the reason for that extended dead period?

Here's what the NCAA's release said about it:

"Members also extended the temporary recruiting dead period for all sports through Sept. 30, 2020. 

The dead period has been in place since March and is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Council took feedback from coaching associations in making its decision, and most coaching groups recommended the extension through at least Sept. 30. The full Council will consider the dead period again in September.

No in-person recruiting or evaluations can occur in the dead period."

@Dominik85 posted:

What is the reason for that extended dead period?

This is to prevent schools to have unfair competition advantages over other schools simplify due to where schools are located and how COVID is affecting the area. 

If a player is looking at two schools and one can host him at this time but the other can’t host him with out a 14 day quarantine, then the first school would have an unfair advantage.

@DanJ posted:

Hilarious because the NCAA is effectively handing the advantage over the JUCOs and NAIA.  I think it's a great time to be a JUCO, but if you're a high end, big name JUCO?  #feasting

The dead period might give JUCOs a slight advantage.  Where JUCOs are really winning big is with just all the uncertainty. JUCOs provide players with option value.  They can go the JUCO route and kick the big decision down the road a year or two to hopefully a more normal time.

Let me add, for the record, we do have a national policy. The national policy is to allow states to decide locally. That’s a policy.

The problem is, some people don’t like the policy.   Just say, you don’t like what my state does. And you want my state to be like some other screwed up state. Just like the Big Ten, the PAC, the Mac, the NCAA, and the mountain west want the remaining conferences to be a screwed up as them. Misery loves company. Some of us refuse to go that route.

@Pedaldad posted:

I have no idea why you decided to make this correlation.

I was suggesting that the NCAA is already under a lot of fire for stuff totally unrelated to COVID or scheduling policies (in general, those who believe student-athletes deserve some degree of compensation - I don't have a dog in this fight but it's undeniably a political problem for the NCAA). I guess I'm further suggesting that the patchwork outcome with respect to sports scheduling might add fuel to that particular political fire.

While I do think there's some value in a national approach to scheduling (with respect to equity across conferences) I understand that has to be balanced with local control. It's a tough call, and I don't at all quibble with the decisions of some conferences to move forward. It's an informed choice for the student-athletes. Sorry if this was unclear.

@Pedaldad posted:

Let me add, for the record, we do have a national policy. The national policy is to allow states to decide locally. That’s a policy.

The problem is, some people don’t like the policy.   Just say, you don’t like what my state does. And you want my state to be like some other screwed up state. Just like the Big Ten, the PAC, the Mac, the NCAA, and the mountain west want the remaining conferences to be a screwed up as them. Misery loves company. Some of us refuse to go that route.

If you read the last article that I posted in the Big 10 topic, you will find the list of demands the players made to their conferences and NCAA.

So true, I agree, that we have a national policy, which is to allow states to decide totally, my opinion is that the NCAA dropped the ball.  But as the governing body, it was their responsibility to set a policy for every player, no matter where they are located. 

The dead period might give JUCOs a slight advantage.  Where JUCOs are really winning big is with just all the uncertainty. JUCOs provide players with option value.  They can go the JUCO route and kick the big decision down the road a year or two to hopefully a more normal time.

Thanks for the answers, makes sense.

Another question: where is the money from jucos coming from? They don't have a scholarship limit, fees are much lower than 4 year schools and they are probably not drawing huge crowds either, aren't they? Who pays for that?

@DanJ posted:

Hilarious because the NCAA is effectively handing the advantage over the JUCOs and NAIA.  I think it's a great time to be a JUCO, but if you're a high end, big name JUCO?  #feasting

I don't know how many high schoolers are passing up D1 opportunities to go the NAIA route... Even the JC route, sure the top programs will grab some guys, but overall it won't change too much. 

Recruiting is still happening, kids are still committing to D1 programs. The NCAA isn't handing the advantage to anyone, it's business as usual just not the way we're used to. The back door deals are still being made. Dead period could go on forever. It's only a recruiting violation if you get caught. 

@Dominik85 posted:

Another question: where is the money from jucos coming from? They don't have a scholarship limit, fees are much lower than 4 year schools and they are probably not drawing huge crowds either, aren't they? Who pays for that?

They actually can have decent sized enrollments. The schools in my area all average 10-15k and juco is not a very popular option at all among high schoolers in my region. 

Small campuses, no housing, less employees, not going to have the facilities a state school has, etc. Some have campuses, some are a few buildings strung together. So while the fees are low, there are less costs associated with the school as well. Also tax dollars 

A LOT of JUCO’s are going to have 80-85 man rosters in the Fall, and JV teams.  More than ever before.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.