Funny ..... it seems some D1 coaches have “found a way” which I know for a fact but I’m not going to explain it. They are out there.Also IMO no D3 is picking off anyone that truly has D1 opportunities without that being explored. Maybe a HA situation but not the run of the mill D3. Like for us, yes the D3 coaches are out and getting super aggressive but how could we possibly have a conversation about anything serious unless we really know all the options. The attention is nice but......

Could that way be to subscribe/talk to scouting businesses that they trust?

Nope..... in person . And there are a few ways which is interesting.

Ok so let's here it  fmr coach now Dad!

Do you know the penalty for coach recruiting when not allowed?

Yes I’m familiar. In each case these scenarios were run by their compliance depts. I’m just telling you what is going on that’s all. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Funny ..... it seems some D1 coaches have “found a way” which I know for a fact but I’m not going to explain it. They are out there.Also IMO no D3 is picking off anyone that truly has D1 opportunities without that being explored. Maybe a HA situation but not the run of the mill D3. Like for us, yes the D3 coaches are out and getting super aggressive but how could we possibly have a conversation about anything serious unless we really know all the options. The attention is nice but......

Appreciate this post. D3 schools aren’t picking off D1 talent (with a rare exception). What a joke. 

I understand coaches who have sons on team are allowed to attend games. Is this what you are referring to?  If not what are you referring to?

You said yes, that you are familiar with the  penalties? 

So many schools have furloughed coaches. That has left a loophole which some are readily taking advantage of. More than a few in the Northeast have done this.The second scenario is a little more complicated but given that a P5 compliance officer is oking it I’m going to go with that. I’ll see what happens this weekend.

@adbono posted:

Appreciate this post. D3 schools aren’t picking off D1 talent (with a rare exception). What a joke. 

I wasn't saying its happening, it was a comment made by someone who's only seeing d3 coaches signed up for events.  I bet you a D3 school could pick off a D1 talent though.   Its July, D1 spots this year are tough, all the top schools have filled up their slots.  The draft was 5 rounds.  Seniors came back.  Sure there are a lot of less competitive less academic D1 schools with spots open.   There are also a lot of highly competitive good to great academic D3 schools with 8-10 spots to fill.   You read that comment and you are thinking what - P5 level talent, one level down D1?  Yeah, that isn't going to happen if their focus is high end baseball.  They prob wouldn't get patriot league hopefuls. But good players who are hanging out there right now with slots filling up and dead periods getting extended why is it unreasonable to think a very high end D3 couldn't pick of D1 talent.  Why is that a joke? You clearly understand the environment out there right now.

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Just for clarification , I said a “run of the mill” D3. Not a HA or very competitive D3. I think we can all agree that even though MCLA and Williams are 5 miles apart those are 2 different D3 opportunities.I’m just saying in our case you have mid major D1’s still not even close to filled at all and even a very solid D3 program in there but I’m not sure he would commit without waiting to explore the D1 opportunity to its conclusion at this point. Too much prereading and phone calling still going on. It’s just a really interesting/weird year.

I wasn't saying its happening, it was a comment made by someone who's only seeing d3 coaches signed up for events.  I bet you a D3 school could pick off a D1 talent though.   Its July, D1 spots this year are tough, all the top schools have filled up their slots.  The draft was 5 rounds.  Seniors came back.  Sure there are a lot of less competitive less academic D1 schools with spots open.   There are also a lot of highly competitive good to great academic D3 schools with 8-10 spots to fill.   You read that comment and you are thinking what - P5 level talent, one level down D1?  Yeah, that isn't going to happen if their focus is high end baseball.  They prob wouldn't get patriot league hopefuls. But good players who are hanging out there right now with slots filling up and dead periods getting extended why is it unreasonable to think a very high end D3 couldn't pick of D1 talent.  Why is that a joke? You clearly understand the environment out there right now.

Yes I understand the environment. I also understand the difference between D1 & D3 talent. I also understand the mindset of 18 year old kids seeing as I coach a bunch of them. Kids that think they are D1 (which is most of them) aren’t going to go D3 - even when they should. 

My 2021 probably fits into this very specific category of player.  A HA borderline D1/D3 case. Through the Fall, lots of interest from D3, some interest from D1 pending an impressive summer where he could show improvement.  Well, that's a legitimate challenge now.  Given the situation, D3's are pressing, and D1's are either just going with the kids they saw and liked earlier, not adding many more bodies, or waiting for showcases.  And even then they can only observe via livestream and can't connect in person.  No campus visits, overnights, private workout, etc.  All of the interpersonal character stuff that HA's value.  The kinds of normal process that potentially could have pushed my  son from one category to the other given how close he is on the metrics side. Frankly, it's not really a big deal to him, he's just looking to land at the right school and a majority of them he likes are D3. But he does fall into the tight description in a very peculiar and difficult to navigate year. 

I am helping a friend plan out how to help her 2021 RHP.  Her husband died of cancer about 8 years ago and her son reclassed to 2021, was a 2020 with my son.  I just called her and she knew already!  All the camps emailed at the end of last week.  She had an interesting take - the D3 coaches are able to go to events and D1's coaches are not.  They are getting the opportunity to pick off the remaining D1 talents.  I don't know if that's correct but could be true. Her son is laser focused on being a "D1" player however.   It's a tough situation for her and her son.  He wants the Patriot League.  Hit 89 on the gun last week.  I told her the magic # is 90 MPH so tell him to go find that...

89 should be very much within reach of a Patriot. He should be emailing those schools hard right now with video, I'm watching kids commit left and right. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.