Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Texan -- are you asking about specific 2005 teams or team organizations?

History speaks for itself if you're looking for an organization to join, and the names apply to both 16U and 18U ---- DBAT, Dallas Mustangs, Dallas Tigers <--- no particular order. However, these groups may not necessarily have age-pure teams in 15U or 17U each year. Strong 17U teams include the Blackhawks & the McKinney Marshals -- to name a few.
Last edited by Panther Dad
My opinions are based primarily on track records in the following areas, 1) performance in AABC, 2) placement of kids at the next level, and 3) the nationwide connections of their management teams -- Cade Griffis, Sam Carpenter, and Tom Hernandez.

I don't want to open severals cans here -- there are many other fine organizations in the Metroplex as well, with very good baseball men. And, I know the Tigers have not "stressed" AABC in a few years.

I'm not sure how much it helps to add the disclaimer: IMHO, but I'll add it anyway (referring to this post). rolleyes
the disclaimer IMHO is only used to express that this is my opinion. Pantherdad, I guess that your posts are your opinion because I don't share your opinion. I am very aware of the teams that you have chosen as the 3 best (in your opinion) and those teams are good to very good, but I was just letting Texan know that there are lots of options out there and he needed to do his homework before he leaps head first into ANY program. It is about the right fit for his kid.

there is no need to be rude just because I don't share YHO
In my opinion, there are a lot of great organizations in the DFW area and someone is always offended if they are not recommended; I believe that is what Panther Dad was referencing too. A lot of teams focus on W/L as opposed to developing players; you want an organization that will develop your kid and also has connections at the next level. To make a long story short, these conversations are best if they are had as a PM so no one organization gets offended. Just a thought.
Last edited by indugu
quote:
Originally posted by indugu:
In my opinion, there are a lot of great organizations in the DFW area and someone is always offended if they are not recommended; I believe that is what Panther Dad was referencing too. A lot of teams focus on W/L as opposed to developing players; you want an organization that will develop your kid and also has connections at the next level. To make a long story short, these conversations are best if they are had as a PM so no one organization gets offended. Just a thought.

Why is that? People have opinions, and should be able to express them. If an organization gets offended, they should grow thicker skin.

The purpose of this website is not to go hide behind a screen, but to express opinions so that people can learn from that information.
w'forddad -- you're confusing me....I was simply answering Texan's questions which were:

"Why would you recommend DBAT, Mustangs, Tigers? What are their strong points, weak points (if any), etc.? Are you making that recommendation solely on their W-L records? Or on other factors?"

None of my comments were directed towards you.

I agree with you -- all these posts are opinions only -- hence my disclaimer. And yes, every family's situation is different.

Peace.

-PD
IMO, winning is not everything when considering what is best for your son's summer/fall baseball - but who wants to lose? So maybe the short term success of a team that just won a summer world series causes some to overlook the character and makeup of the individual that is coaching their son.

The vast majority of summer coaches these days are dads or even kids themselves. Sometimes it is painfully obvious that anybody can recruit a few good players, fill out a lineup card and roll them out every day with some success. There are also individuals coaching teams that have been mentioned in this thread that I would not allow my sons to play for.

IMHO, the best organizations/teams are the ones that are led by baseball men that conduct their teams with class. Guys that teach how the game is played and make kids better players and even better young men. The Dallas area is fortunate to have a few of these kind of men and the kids that play for them are all the better for it. I've been doing this for some time now and have been fortunate to have worked with some of these type men and have enjoyed playing against some as well.

If you want the best situation for your son do your homework and find out how he will fit into the program (position & playing time), how that team's players conduct themselves on and off the field and how that team's coaches teach the game. If possible, you might ask for feedback on programs from some college coaches. Listen for descriptive words or phrases like 'professional', 'class' and 'next level teaching'.

I have two boys (ages 3 and 8) and I can honestly tell you there is a very short list of men who I would want them to play for as they go through their high school select years.
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM
Right on DBAT 18 GM. I believe a kid should play for someone who at least played at the level above them. I do not know what I could teach a college kid about the pro game since I did not play the pro game. Just because you played does not make you a genius, but you have experienced so many things that can be communicated to a kid with credibility. I think this is relevant at each level. The physical training for baseball is available on every street corner of DFW. How many people teach the mental aspect of baseball? How many people teach kids to respect "the game"? How many people teach kids to play for the name on the front of your jersey and not the one on the back?

One important thing to consider is what type of schedule does the prospective team play. I can assure you that the kids I coach have learned a tremendous amount of baseball from playing DBAT, the Dallas Tigers, the McKinney Marshalls and the Mustangs. That's why we want to play those guys. Those guys have helped players on our team understand how to play the game. The above list is not all inclusive, just who I am most familiar with.

For those of you with younger kids coming up (I also have a 9 year old) please pay attention to the following. The most dangerous thing in baseball is NOT "playing for someone who doesn't know the game". It's playing for someone who doesn't know the game but thinks he does. Do not allow your kids to play for someone who wants to double steal with a 12-0 lead or wants to bunt when up 9-1. If you see that sort of stuff, you should know immediately that this guy does not know the game of baseball. I don't care if your record is 60-0. You are placing your son in a dangerous situation.
Last edited by Vanlandingham
The first priority in teaching a kid to play baseball is--"Does he want to learn"?...Is he willing to forget all the wrong things he has been taught by someone who think they know...Also is the player good enough to move up to the next level if not he will be unhappy if selected at all....We all want our kids to be their best but sometimes we let our own desires over-ride the true ability of our kids..
I think all the teams mentioned would be good choices but remember if a player hasn't been taught correctly by now you can't expect one of these teams to bring him up to the higher standards..
If he has the ability and can make the team then exposure is what he needs..Most of those teams provide that on the local and National level to some extent..

MDS
The things I personally want to see in a club:

1. A focus on player development, rather than on W's. This includes good "teaching coaches".
2. A schedule that includes the toughest competition to be had.
3. Good exposure provided at the appropriate age levels.
4. Reasonable roster sizes.
5. One high profile tournament (e.g., JO, WWBA) included in the schedule that will provide the players with some great experiences and memories.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.