Skip to main content

During a recent discussion with fellow coaches, this question came up: How many HS teams in the country have a first baseman that gets DH'ed for? I recently saw this from an opposing team and began wondering - what circumstances bring about that decision and how prevelant is it? I know I've never seen in at any level of college and never will see it at any professional level.

The prevailing thought was that 1b isn't the most athletically demanding IF position. Coach up your next best bat and put him at 1b. I'm curious how many HS coaches have seen/currently employ this lineup arrangement?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by cmcconnell:
I know I've never seen in at any level of college...

That's because in NCAA the DH bats only for the pitcher.

In high school ball, I've seen DH bat for the first baseman just once.

Quite often in high school, F1 is the one of the better hitters. I would wager that the vast majority of DH's I see hit for a position other than pitcher.
Last edited by Jimmy03
You will only see this done in high school due to the fact that in college or AL baseball, only the pitcher my be DH'd for. In high school you may use the DH for any player. This allows more kids the opportunity to play and be involved. I have done this when I have a kids with great glove skills at first base but maybe he is a lite hitter. I may have a kid on the bench that can hit the ball hard but is not a very good first baseman. It is like putting in a defensive replacement, but with an opportunity to have your best offense in the game at the same time. All the while, I agree that you keep coaching the hitter to improve in the field and the fielder at the plate, but every player brings a different skill set to the game, since you can't recruit in high school, you find the area where each kid has the best chance of success.
I've seen it done quite a bit on my son's HS team. WHen he DH'd one game, he hit for one of the infielders. I don't remember if it was the firstbaseman but I have seen the firstbseman DH'd for in a couple of games. I guess it came down who the weakest hitter was that day regardless of the position they played. I'd say that year, about half the games, the DH was batting for a position player.

I think at the HS level, it's a great move because it can maximize a team's strengths and gives more players an opportunity to bring their strengths to the table and get in the game.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
what circumstances bring about that decision and how prevelant is it? ?

Maybe, the 1B is hurt. When he was a sophomore, my son DHed the whole season for a senior catcher (great player) with a very bad shoulder injury. He could barely throw back to the pitcher. It wasn't something the team advertised. They didn't want baserunners taking off all day.
quote:
During a recent discussion with fellow coaches, this question came up: How many HS teams in the country have a first baseman that gets DH'ed for? I recently saw this from an opposing team and began wondering - what circumstances bring about that decision and how prevelant is it? I know I've never seen in at any level of college and never will see it at any professional level.

The prevailing thought was that 1b isn't the most athletically demanding IF position. Coach up your next best bat and put him at 1b. I'm curious how many HS coaches have seen/currently employ this lineup arrangement?

We almost made this move in a game last week. We had a player who was due to get some AB's - second string 1B and further down the depth chart at other positions. Starting 1B was slumping but too valuable defensively to take him out. In the end, we decided against as we did not want to send the starter a message that we weren't confident in his bat, but I think there was a good argument here for making that move.
I don't agree with the general notion that 1B isn't demanding, athletically or otherwise. Our starting 1B, as well as another have saved many bases, runs and a few games with key plays at 1B. Picks, keeping balls in front, bunt coverage, relays, getting to the hole, getting to foul pop-ups, coming off the bag for a swipe tag, turning 2, making the throw when a runner breaks on a pick move, etc. 1B defense is underrated.
Last edited by cabbagedad
Actually, I think first base is very demanding and the difference of a warm body vs a legitimate first baseman is night and day and affects the entire infield.

First base is IMO, way underrated and the little things that a first baseman does well makes a huge difference.

I want an athlete at first base who can move around and play the position. If you're a stiff out there with poor footwork and all, you hurt the team but if you can hit, you DH.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof:
Actually, I think first base is very demanding and the difference of a warm body vs a legitimate first baseman is night and day and affects the entire infield.

First base is IMO, way underrated and the little things that a first baseman does well makes a huge difference.

I want an athlete at first base who can move around and play the position. If you're a stiff out there with poor footwork and all, you hurt the team but if you can hit, you DH.

In no way am I down playing the vital importance and piece of mind a top tier first baseman provides. I only said that the position doesn't require AS good an athlete as do the other IF positions. Surely you can agree that, generally speaking, it's easier to turn an average player and into a servicable first baseman than to take the same player and turn him into a servicable MIFer or 3bman?

I suppose the intent of my original post was to juxtapose the importance of a typical power hitting NCAA or MLB first baseman vs. that of a HS first baseman; given the difference in DH rules, that's not really a fair comparison. I'm embarrassed to say that after being DH'd for for 4 years of college, it never dawned on me that I was the only player who could have been be DH'd for.
Agreed. Had a kid (now a Jr. OF at Ole Miss) a few yrs back who fit the body mold of a HS first baseman. Played DE in FB, below avg. 60, but the kid could flat out hit. Started the season with him at 1B; after 10 games, he had double digit errors, several of which determined the outcome of games. He then became a full time DH and put up great numbers. He signed w/ a top JUCO, dropped 30 lbs (FB weight), moved to OF, turned in multiple sub 6.6 60's and was a late round draft selection. Just goes to show what can happen when body type changes and a kid has tools
There are several reasons you might see a 1B dh for in HS. He may be the best defensive 1B on the team and not be a good hitter. There may be another player on the team who is a better hitter but is a defensive liability. The pitcher that day may be a better hitter than the 1B and someone else is as well so they dh for the 1B. Some of my best hitters in HS have been my best pitchers. They swung the bat and a position player was dh for. If my weakest hitter imo was the 1B he got dh for. If it was the ss he got dh for.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.