Skip to main content

Will we look back in 10 years and conclude that Cohen buying the Mets is one of the biggest events in baseball in a couple of decades along the lines of John Henry purchase of Red Sox in 2002?

Can his money and analytics yield a Yankee equivalent in NY for National League?

Will they become the Dodgers east or the 1980's Steinbrenner Yanks tossing money around for mismatched pieces? 

I think the Mets are about to have a total transformation from occasionally competitive to annual powerhouse.  Look for them to spend money in short term while they build long term organization.  They will no longer be the poor cousin in the major market teams in MLB.

If Yanks aren't careful it Mets will give them a run for their money for the first time in 30+ years.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am a Yankee fan and I do fear that Steve Cohen will make a huge difference to the Mets.  They will spend aggressively.   Having a huge payroll doesn't mean championships though.   Will Cohen's analytics lead to better decisions?  That remains to be seen.   No question though top end players will like the addition of Cohen as an owner!    Cohen is not afraid to shake it up firing the front office in the first hour.

I think he definitely is an upgrade over the wilpons even though he is a crook too.

Can't get worse than the wilpons. Not a huge fan of getting back alderson though. Alderson was a pioneer in analytics but his last couple years with the Mets weren't that great either plus alderson is over 70.

Obviously they will have young people supporting him but I would have preferred them getting a young rays guy as the guy in charge. Big mistake by the wilpons not signing bloom last year, the Rays are a front office factory.

Last edited by Dominik85

Btw cohen's analytics I don't really see as that much of an asset. It is good he supports analytics but it could lead to him thinking he could make the decisions himself.

Meddling with decisions was one of the biggest complaints and I would prefer an owner that hires the right GM but other than that just opens his pocket and lets the gm do his job.

In that regard half knowledge is often more dangerous than no knowledge because that guy tends to overrate his knowledge while the no knowledge at all guy usually knows his limits.

Last edited by Dominik85

So no more great seats at Citi below face value on Stubhub, eh?

Damn!

Cohen made a good call firing Brodie.  I think he also made a good call not firing Rojas, at least so far.  They are not far off from being a very good team.  Just a couple of pieces away, I think. It'll be interesting to see what happens.  I just hope there's still room for me on the 7 train.

Will we look back in 10 years and conclude that Cohen buying the Mets is one of the biggest events in baseball in a couple of decades?

If so, proof positive the Copernicus was wrong and the sun, planets and us non big apple flotsam and jetsam merely rotate around the gravity well that is New York.

It only brings them into the 21st century regarding analytics.

(I am almost over the “Miracle Mets” crushing an eight year olds soul in 1969. Maybe another decade or so. Ahhh, to live forever with Brooks at third, Frank and Boog hitting in the middle and Palmer, Cuellar and McNally anchoring the staff.)

Good luck to the Mets.

@Go44dad posted:

If so, proof positive the Copernicus was wrong and the sun, planets and us non big apple flotsam and jetsam merely rotate around the gravity well that is New York.

It only brings them into the 21st century regarding analytics.

(I am almost over the “Miracle Mets” crushing an eight year olds soul in 1969. Maybe another decade or so. Ahhh, to live forever with Brooks at third, Frank and Boog hitting in the middle and Palmer, Cuellar and McNally anchoring the staff.)

Good luck to the Mets.

That was brutal.

I got over it by moving to NY in 80's and rooting for the Mets.  I told myself that with Frank Cashen and Davey Johnson running the team, it was basically the NL affiliate of the O's.

Mets and A's really damaged those O's teams from 66 to 74  They might have won as many as 6 series instead of 2 if not for those teams.  Those Baltimore teams are always underrated in the discussions of great teams IMO.

In '66, Orioles swept the Dodgers.  Only four pitchers threw for the Orioles. Gave up two ER's in total.

Reds were the other great team in that period. Hard to call them underrated, but they could have had two more WS rings.

I lived in Wichita Falls for a while as a kid (great town!). My dad took me to an early season double header of another early 70's powerhouse, The Texas Rangers. It may have been the season they didn't loose a hundred games. Opponent was the world series champion Oakland A's. Before the game my dad gave me 14" yellow legal pad and said go down there and see if you can get some autographs. On one page I had Sal Bando, Joe Rudi, Gene Tennace, Reggie Jackson, Vida Blue and a couple other A's and Rangers.

It would have been so nice to put those autographs someplace special so I still had them.

@Go44dad posted:

It would have been so nice to put those autographs someplace special so I still had them.

Keep looking, Go44dad. A couple of weeks ago I found an autograph by then Governor Nelson Rockefeller in an New Testament book from 7th grade religion class.

Image [6)

Now, if I could only locate that ticket stub from George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh and the only baseball player's autograph I remember of the few I got as a kid, Buster Narum of the Senators...

Buster Narum 2

I love his nickname, Buster.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Image (6)
  • Buster Narum 2

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.