Skip to main content

I was always under the impression that they were the same thing (we just call them competitive teams here in my neck of the woods) but I was searching through the internet and seen a web site that distinguished between the two. Had a different set of standings and everything. I think it was a NW Georgia baseball site, not for sure though. Anyways, I was wondering if someone could explain the difference between the two since obviously there is. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

KC Dad,
Good question. I think the name “select” was coined to infer some sort of superiority over the common “travel” team. But in reality these are just “buzz words” to assist the coaches in attracting the most talented players. Welcome to the American sports scene where capitalism has been blended with youth sports.
When we judge a youth baseball team we need to look at the coaching staff, the talent of the players, and the strength of their schedule. For the most part the name “select” is a good indicator as to the level of those things I mentioned.... but not always.
Just another opinion from the “new and improved” Fungo Big Grin
So is this kind of like the AAU equivilant of the way USSSA ranks a team as a MAJOR team, AAA team, AA team, or a A team? Sorry, I know nothing about AAU or Little League formats. The reason I am wondering about this is as our boys get older and start traveling greater distances we are starting to meet teams that don't play USSSA or Super Series which we are more familiar with. So I would like to get some sort of feeling on what kind of teams we are facing prior to facing them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.