Skip to main content

my son is a rising senior—class of 2020.  He was late to the recruiting game but has garnered a good amount of interest with DII schools in our area—Were in NJ.  I think he’s more a division III player—he’s not fast but does everything else well.   

what is up with some of the roster sizes in DII?  I notice many have 30 rostered players .   Some are quite a bit less.   Some of the weaker teams are fielding 24 or so players   

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In the midwest some of the D2's are very good baseball wise. They are significantly better than the D3's in general, and closer to D1 level(there are always exceptions). There is less money available for schollies, of course. I think you'd have to parse out the reason that one school might have a smaller roster than another. Hopefully some one with a better knowledge of your area.

D2s in the northeast just aren't very popular- both athletically and academically. There are too many good schools within a 45 minute drive of any town in NJ, NY, CT, PA to make them all that appealing athletically. It's a bit of a snobby attitude north easterners have but some of it can be justified. So when a kid has a choice of playing at Bloomfield College or just going to another school as a regular student, he'll usually choose the latter (typically in warmer weather and typically at a bigger school). It's tough recruiting for these guys and sometimes they may not fill a 35 man roster. Even if the team is decent. 

That being said, there are still good opportunities. Caldwell is a pretty good education in a nice area. Felician and Wilmington have very good baseball. D2 does not always mean better. There are plenty of D3 teams that would wipe the floor with many of the D2s within an hour or two drive of you. Don't worry about the division, find a school that can provide a good, affordable education that he can also play at. 

A few of our former teammates played in the D2 conference around your area. One was drafted, the other is doing very well for himself a year out of school in the city. 

Last edited by PABaseball
PABaseball posted:

D2s in the northeast just aren't very popular- both athletically and academically. There are too many good schools within a 45 minute drive of any town in NJ, NY, CT, PA to make them all that appealing athletically. It's a bit of a snobby attitude north easterners have but some of it can be justified. So when a kid has a choice of playing at Bloomfield College or just going to another school as a regular student, he'll usually choose the latter (typically in warmer weather and typically at a bigger school). It's tough recruiting for these guys and sometimes they may not fill a 35 man roster. Even if the team is decent. 

That being said, there are still good opportunities. Caldwell is a pretty good education in a nice area. Felician and Wilmington have very good baseball. D2 does not always mean better. There are plenty of D3 teams that would wipe the floor with many of the D2s within an hour or two drive of you. Don't worry about the division, find a school that can provide a good, affordable education that he can also play at. 

A few of our former teammates played in the D2 conference around your area. One was drafted, the other is doing very well for himself a year out of school in the city. 

CCAC 2019 Conference ComparisonNJAC 2019 Conference ComparisonCCAA 2018 Conference ComparisonNJAC 2018 Conference Comparison

Financial information is collected at end of the year and published around February or March.

Attachments

Images (4)
  • CCAC 2019 Conference Comparison
  • NJAC 2019 Conference Comparison
  • CCAA 2018 Conference Comparison
  • NJAC 2018 Conference Comparison
RJM posted:

It’s hard to judge rosters when the sport isn’t in season. Some programs have already deleted their graduating seniors and other departed players. On the other end some programs won’t finalize their website roster until the week the season opens.

Adelphi 2019 Distribution by State

Some  information can be predicted based on current classification.  Note

Adelphi 2019 Distribution By Position

2019 Team Roster Insights might provide some insights pertaining to player attrition.

Redshirt Insights are sporadic, normally a one year lag

Adelphi 2019 Team Insights

2018 Team Insights will help identify certain patterns.

Adelphi 2018 Team Insights

Attachments

Images (4)
  • Adelphi 2019 Distribution by State
  • Adelphi 2019 Distribution By Position
  • Adelphi 2019 Team Insights
  • Adelphi 2018 Team Insights

CBI has presented some interesting data showing just how different each school is, and that is only covering the NE and MidAtlantic conferences.  Out here in California, the CCAA is mostly filled with state schools who offer lower cost tuition for instate students, so the rosters are largely stacked with California kids.  It is a very attractive option for kids of good competition and lower tuition costs even without much athletic money to offer.  The D3s out here lose a lot of potential recruits for that reason.

As others have said, don't get hung up on the Division.  Focus on the school and academic environment, finances, playing time potential, etc.  Finding the right fit is the single most important thing you can help with.

Backstop22 posted:

CBI has presented some interesting data showing just how different each school is, and that is only covering the NE and MidAtlantic conferences.  Out here in California, the CCAA is mostly filled with state schools who offer lower cost tuition for instate students, so the rosters are largely stacked with California kids.  It is a very attractive option for kids of good competition and lower tuition costs even without much athletic money to offer.  The D3s out here lose a lot of potential recruits for that reason.

As others have said, don't get hung up on the Division.  Focus on the school and academic environment, finances, playing time potential, etc.  Finding the right fit is the single most important thing you can help with.

Backstop22. 

Here is some data for CCCAA Conferences for 2018.

CCCAA Central Valley 2018 Conference ComparisonCCCAA Coast 2018 Conference ComparisonCCCAA BIG Valley 2018 Conference ComparisonCCCAA BIG 8 2018 Conference Comparison

Attachments

Images (4)
  • CCCAA Central Valley 2018 Conference Comparison
  • CCCAA Coast 2018 Conference Comparison
  • CCCAA BIG Valley 2018 Conference Comparison
  • CCCAA BIG 8 2018 Conference Comparison
Backstop22 posted:

Here is the state participation for California players for 2019

California 2019 State Participation by StateCalifornia 2019 State Participation by DivisionCalifornia 2019 State Participation by ConferenceCalifornia High School State Participation

Attachments

Images (4)
  • California 2019 State Participation by State
  • California 2019 State Participation by Division
  • California 2019 State Participation by Conference
  • California High School State Participation
Backstop22 posted:

Here are high level numbers for players listed as Freshman, (excludes R-Freshman) for 2019

California 2019 State Participation by State-FreshmanCalifornia 2019 State Participation by Division-FreshmanCalifornia 2019 State Participation by Conference-FreshmanCalifornia 2019 State Participation by Position-Freshman

Attachments

Images (4)
  • California 2019 State Participation by State-Freshman
  • California 2019 State Participation by Division-Freshman
  • California 2019 State Participation by Conference-Freshman
  • California 2019 State Participation by Position-Freshman
Last edited by CollegebaseballInsights
Initech posted:

Pretty sure the NJAC is DIII, not DII. (At least I know a few schools on the list are DIII).

West Chester is a good DII program outside of Philadelphia.

The conversation somewhat combined Division 2 and Division 3 in the North East.  Correct Westchester is a D II school plays in the PSAC.

Below are some of the preliminary Insights for PSAC.

PSAC 2019 Conference ComparisonPSAC 2018 Conference ComparisonPSAC 2017 Conference Comparison 

Attachments

Images (3)
  • PSAC 2019 Conference Comparison
  • PSAC 2018 Conference Comparison
  • PSAC 2017 Conference Comparison
Last edited by CollegebaseballInsights
2020Hopeful posted:

What information can the group provide on DIIs on the west coast?  I am looking at  rosters of some of the schools my 2020 is communicating with and some of them are at 50+.  Similar story with some NAIA schools.

I'm quite familiar with most D2's and NAIA's on west coast, particularly Calif. as one son played at one and several I coached in HS played at others.  Let me know if there are specific schools you are looking at.

Regarding roster, yes, many carry a lot of players and bring in large numbers in the Fall, but it varies by school.  Also, if you are looking at rosters any time other than early Spring and into the season when the official rosters are posted, it can be tricky to interpret.  Also, be aware that most, but not all, D2's in Calif. rely heavily on JC transfer players.

CollegebaseballInsights posted:
Backstop22 posted:

California 2019 State Participation by StateCalifornia 2019 State Participation by DivisionCalifornia 2019 State Participation by ConferenceCalifornia High School State Participation

There is 30 players from Ohio playing in California. 

So there's a chance.

Last edited by BishopLeftiesDad
BishopLeftiesDad posted:
Backstop22 posted:

There is 30 players from Ohio playing in California. 

So there's a chance.

Actually, this report shows where California Players are playing.

Below shows 2019 Freshman Ohio Players and what states they are playing

Ohio 2019 State Participation

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Ohio 2019 State Participation

Haha... OF COURSE you had that info ready...  wow, this really does show a good illustration of the "neighboring states" factor.  I think many can learn a lot from this snapshot.

While I understand the general advice of "cast a wide net", there is also wisdom in keeping the radius fairly close to home.  Of course there are exceptions with regard to specialized major or particularly high academic.

Last edited by cabbagedad

It is important than when talking about DII and DIII schools and programs, financial costs are a big consideration given the very limited or lack of athletic money available.  I know some states have "reasonable" tuition options for out-of-state students and some sharing arrangements.  But by and large at least for the public DII and DIII schools, their rosters are filled with players from their home state who are attracted by the lower tuition cost.  At least the private DIIIs in CA lose a lot of kids to the public school teams, my 2017 included.  The in-state tuition was a huge deciding consideration.

cabbagedad posted:

Haha... OF COURSE you had that info ready...  wow, this really does show a good illustration of the "neighboring states" factor.  I think many can learn a lot from this snapshot.

While I understand the general advice of "cast a wide net", there is also wisdom in keeping the radius fairly close to home.  Of course there are exceptions with regard to specialized major or particularly high academic.

In my humble opinion, student-athletes and parents need to understand the type of fish they are and if that particular fish is common in a particular state. 

Ohio 2019 State Participation By DivisionOhio 2019 State Participation By ConferenceOhio 2019 State Participation By PositionOhio 2019 National Federation High School Sports

Attachments

Images (4)
  • Ohio 2019 State Participation By Division
  • Ohio 2019 State Participation By Conference
  • Ohio 2019 State Participation By Position
  • Ohio 2019 National Federation High School Sports
cabbagedad posted:

Here is some interesting stuff Ohio Freshman Right Handed Pitchers

Ohio 2019 State Participation Freshman RHPOhio 2019 State Participation Freshman RHP by DivisionOhio 2019 State Participation Freshman RHP by Conference

Attachments

Images (3)
  • Ohio 2019 State Participation Freshman RHP
  • Ohio 2019 State Participation Freshman RHP by Division
  • Ohio 2019 State Participation Freshman RHP by Conference
adbono posted:

Question for COLLEGE BASEBALLINSIGHTS................

Was your previous screen name "STATS FOR KNATS" ?

No.  I'm a new person the block, trying to provide value to the research process.  I wish I had something like this when my son was going through the process.  Note, going to Florida and Georgia made no sense.  Fortunately, my relative was in GA.  Cost benefit of going to those tournaments didn't make sense.

adbono posted:

No.  I'm a new person the block, trying to provide value to the research process.  I wish I had something like this when my son was going through the process.  Note, going to Florida and Georgia made no sense.  Fortunately, my relative was in GA.  Cost benefit of going to those tournaments didn't make sense.

Cost benefit of those events only makes sense for a fraction of those that go - unless money is no object.  And many of the highest profile players go for free while hundreds of  players that receive no benefit pay. 

adbono posted:
adbono posted:

Cost benefit of those events only makes sense for a fraction of those that go - unless money is no object.  And many of the highest profile players go for free while hundreds of  players that receive no benefit pay. 

Fortunately, he was a two way player, so he would play 80% of the games.  When he pitched, he normally went 5 to 6 innings.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.