Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They only take about 7-9 players each year and they only travel 24 (per Ivy rules us. with a 14/10 split), so they don't have a lot of wiggle room for cuts.  I've seen players stop out because they are not getting any playing time or because they are injured, but I haven't seen anyone cut. The depth chart (determined in the fall) is a bigger deal for in-season playing time.

So, "cut" is a relative word in my opinion.   What my son described to me sounds more like "self-imposed attrition with the coaches help" but that takes too long to say.

Yes.  My son's recruiting class had two players "cut".   One (position player) realized quickly freshmen year he wasn't going to play, and left to start his own internet business which is thriving.  He was a multi-millionaire by the time he graduated.   The other player (RHP pitcher) wasn't so quick to realize that he wasn't going to play, and the coach reminded him of that fact in the Fall of sophomore year.   He left the team at that point.  Both guys had something better to do with their lives.

Were there other players that didn't get playing time, but wanted to stay on the roster for 4 years?  Yes.  One guy in particular only had one pitching appearance in 4 years, and he got the out.   He faced the league batting champion and got him to pop up.  The bench went crazy.  He just got promoted in an MLB front office analytics department.   

Just my experience....

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Fenway has forgotten more about this than I know, and he's spot on. I will add two points. First, the smaller roster sizes are a huge factor here. There's very little depth on an Ivy roster - my first-year catcher has taken reps on the infield and outfield because of injuries. More incentive to hang with a kid. Second, Ivies don't take transfers, so the cut a kid/bring in a transfer approach doesn't fly.

There is no good reason for a coach to cut a player other than that player causing a disruption on the team. Since they only get an average of 8 players per year (read 32-man roster) then it is very tough to replace players. Better to have players on the bench rather than no players.

Sure injuries happen and some players decide its not their best use of time to attend every practice when they will never (rarely) see the field. I'm sure some schools may ask for more spots from admissions to make up for lost players but this is not a simple ask. So you will see some schools taking 9 players and some taking 7. Your best shot of walking-on is in the Ivy league because they will always have open rosters spots (based on the 8 player average per year)

There are transfers but not many. A lot of these transferred in and then "walked-on"--because there are open spots on the roster.

@ABSORBER posted:

I'm sure some schools may ask for more spots from admissions to make up for lost players but this is not a simple ask. So you will see some schools taking 9 players and some taking 7. Your best shot of walking-on is in the Ivy league because they will always have open rosters spots (based on the 8 player average per year)

That's the key... the coach isn't going to get an additional slot from Admissions for his next recruiting class just because he cut a kid. So, how is he going to fill that spot?

Also, there is some variability between schools when it comes to Ivy recruiting. For example, I've noticed that Penn usually has some hs sophomore and junior commits whereas the others not so much.

Speaking of Penn, anyone attending the Ivy conference tournament this weekend? I'm hoping to catch a game or two.

That's the key... the coach isn't going to get an additional slot from Admissions for his next recruiting class just because he cut a kid. So, how is he going to fill that spot?

Also, there is some variability between schools when it comes to Ivy recruiting. For example, I've noticed that Penn usually has some hs sophomore and junior commits whereas the others not so much.

Speaking of Penn, anyone attending the Ivy conference tournament this weekend? I'm hoping to catch a game or two.

I will be there - should be a great set of games

Not attending but son's summer team teammate for years will likely be the starter for Penn, and the current PC of Columbia recruited him to his current school before taking the Columbia job. Feel like Columbia wins this one.

At Princeton, there were no cuts; and I've not heard of baseball related cuts in conversations since he graduated. But, not everyone who matriculated stayed on the team for 4 years. In my son's 4 years, 2 seniors quit during fall practice - there were some good freshmen; one more player left school during the season for personal  reasons.

Every year, every player- whether recruited or the few walk-ons - got a full, honest shot at playing time. Past performance (e.g., left off the travel squad the prior year) was not a hindrance to becoming the #1 starter the next year.

That's what happens when you only get 6-8 slots a year; plenty of time for a player to grow, to mature, and to develop (in every collegiate way).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.