Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Recruiting coordinators  and pro ball scouts don't really care about HS ball stats......but a red flag goes up if they DIDN'T play HS ball. Your son doesn't want to be 'That Guy' . It creates suspicion and can make your son look like a tourney kid who is an 'I guy'

He's a baseball player and he attends High School.  So, keep it simple.......Play on your High School team

Welcome to the site!

Disclaimer... I'm a HS coach.

If he is as well connected and talented as it sounds, it most likely won't matter in his college recruiting process and any pro interest.  But, as others said, it might.  Still, to me, that's not a reason to decide to continue playing HS baseball.  If his HS program is only one step back from his summer program, that's not that bad, really.  I guess I'd have to hear just how bad.  Only you and he know the specifics.  Does he have his HS friends playing on the HS team?   Is he putting off the "i'm too good for that" vibe or are there serious issues like complete opposite teaching with no flexibility for a great player getting solid outside instruction?  Does he not recognize and appreciate the many special aspects of HS ball as compared to travel, showcase and eventually college ball?  Even if the team is not good, there are an abundance of things special with HS ball that he won't get anywhere else.  Obviously, it would be difficult for the coaching to measure up to what he is getting outside of HS.  So what.  

I've said it here several times on this same subject... playing for your school while it is still somewhat of a game and not a job, everyone pulling for the same goal without necessarily having an eye on the next level, playing for community/cross-town rivalry, learning how to really be a good teammate often in less-than-ideal conditions, becoming a team leader, helping your school program improve/gain pride and respectability, etc., etc.  HS games are a great, fun environment for him to actually put all his hard work into games, even if not the competitive level of summer.

Travel is largely to be seen by colleges.  College is a full time job.  If he loves baseball, what is so bad about the HS program that he feels he shouldn't be part of the things I refer to?  I suppose in some cases it can be that bad.  Like I said, only he and you know if that is the case for him.

I'd be careful, though, about calling summer travel "the real deal".  For many on the HS team, HS is the real deal and whether he speaks it or puts it off as his air, that wouldn't be good for anyone.  Knowing when to show a bit of humility is yet another lesson that can be learned.

Last edited by cabbagedad

I don't know that my son is learning a ton about baseball from his HS baseball. His team was not very good his freshman and sophomore years, but was better last year and hopefully will be still better this year. His coach is a nice guy, but not the best baseball coach in the world.

What he's learning from HS baseball is how be a leader, how to bring kids along who may not be as talented or as motivated as he is, and how to work respectfully with a wide variety of people. And every time he has an at bat or throws a pitch, it's good for him.

I think it's been well worth it.

My daughter attended a high school that had a 32 game losing streak during the two years before she played. No one remembered the last time the team had a winning record. She was part of four straight conference championships.

When my son got to high school baseball had seventeen losing seasons in the previous twenty years. He played on two conference champions and a second place finish. 

Both these programs remained quality programs after they left. They were proud to be part of a new, winning tradition. That said, their travel teams got them to college softball and baseball. But they did demonstrate playing high school sports they could time manage and balance academics and athletics.

I think the program doesn't matter much if he does well in showcases. However I would definitely advice against quitting the last year. HS season is short and he still has enough time to play showcases or travel in the summer and fall.

It doesn't have to be that way but some college coaches could see not playing the last HS year as a character flaw or a case of too much entitlement/being a "diva". Maybe he could explain that but I wouldn't take that chance. Just play those 3 or so months, be a good teammate and have fun and then get back to work in the summer and fall showcases.

Last edited by Dominik85

Robrod,

I've walked a mile (probably more) in your parental shoes.  Play high school baseball would be my advice.  It gives your son different and new experiences than he can get with his travel team. 

Here's the funny thing...my son got to choose his high school.  He could have played for the best team in the district (1.5 miles from my house) with the best high school coach in the state in my opinion.  He didn't.  Yes, it was painful at times.   Once the travel and showcase season rolled around, he was always very excited to play a higher level of baseball and get the exposure we thought was necessary. 

Good luck!

Travel baseball as the boys get older becomes a business...the sense of team is marginal, the "free agent" market is constantly changing rosters, friends come and go and come back again...it is all about me and what is best for me. I am fine with all of that, it has its place - so be it.

HS baseball is just fun, it is your boys you grew up with, your community, your school. There should be very little pressure from what you have stated, enjoy it. It is 2.5 months or whatever and then back to the travel circuit. You most likely will get nothing from it but it will and should be lots of fun.

The OP sounds like I did back in the day..... I had one that struggled with this.  Will he feel the same way in college.   You know not wanting to play in college so he can focus on the "real" team pro ball.   See how that sounds, feels, comes off?

I can assure you as good as he is and I don't doubt that, there are others as good or better... I have had many many P5 coaches to Special asst. to the GM tell me that character is very very very important.

So I get it, HS ball can suck at times, especially for the more talented player on a sub par team.  Sounds like an excellent opportunity to show RC's and scouts what your made of.

If you play HS ball you may not gain a ton , but who cares you have the other guys working with him.  If you don't play then you open the door for speculation as to why he is not playing, diva, injured etc.... 

Have him ask the MLB coaches that he goes to for lesson's see what they say.

HS coach here as well.  If your son has talent and comes across as mature and humble when talking to coaches he will be fine.  Overall it is frustrating to play for a lesser team but there are so many things to get out of it than just baseball.  The college coaches will know he plays for a bad HS team and they will want to see how he handles that obstacle - does he show up everyday ready to compete, how does he treat his inferior team mates, how does he handle the losing and things like that.  It helps the college coach figure out what his mental make up is.  

He can still land at a high level prestigious college program without playing HS baseball but is the lessons learned he will miss worth it?

Rob

Where shall I begin. I picked the school district to live in for academics.Had no kids at the time. Never giving sports a thought. How was I to know that I would have 3 sons who were athletes and sports was all they cared about being at a small D4 school. Fast forward. My oldest son did everything your son is currently doing. He did not play middle school baseball only travel ball. He was recruited to play high school ball by private catholic schools that were D1 some of the best in my state. His high school program was a joke IMO. He however did not want to leave to go to another program. He wanted to play with his high school friends for once. He had his private lessons, he had his travel team, he had invites  to all PG and many more. He wanted to prove if you are good enough you will be found from everything you participate in. He was right. He broke every record in high school which still stands today. He was the leader. He helped the kids, he even helped the coaches. He was a starter as a freshmen that pissed off many parents that were very verbal about it. He didn’t care. His CHARACTER is what he cared about as that’s what scouts want to see ( besides good grades and good act scores). They did show up to a few high school games believe it or not. He did get many D1 college offers. He did play in college and was drafted to MLB where he is today. Please implore your son to play high school baseball. He will be sending a huge red flag IMO if he doesn’t. Who does he think he is? Tell him to look at his baseball hero’s who played in MLB. They all played high school ball with the exception of international kids that come over in their teens. Good luck!!!

For the love of the game!!⚾️⚾️⚾️

Good advice here.  My 2019 has experienced a number of challenges with HS ball and most likely will not receive a fair opportunity to play as he would in a different program.  The level of competition is generally acceptable and we play some quality opponents as our State goes - but there are other issues with our particular program.  I have often considered whether he should just let it go and focus on training and summer.  In some extreme circumstances, that may be best.  But our son decided that he will not let these issues deprive him of the HS baseball experience.  You only get 4 years LOL.  He decided to keep his head down, keep pushing, take advantage of whatever opportunity he is afforded (if any), and use it as an opportunity to at least practice and get sharp for summer ball.  I would err on the side of playing.  Maybe he could set some personal and team goals to try to keep his head in the game.  Best of luck!

Robrod posted:

I have a son (2020 year) who has had private hitting/fielding/pitching coaches for many years.  Some free, some not... but all are top notch.  These are men who have played Major League Baseball, each for several years and one has even coached at that level.  They teach baseball 'the right way' and are often hitting/pitching/fielding coordinators still employed by MLB organizations for Rookie, winter and spring pro ball. 

He plays Travel ball for a highly regarded Pro Scout team and is on some scout watch lists (whatever that means).   So he's talented but I have no delusions that he'll be an early round draft candidate but he does have interest from D1s...... Problem is, his high school program is simply not very good.  He recently stated that this is his last year playing HS Baseball and that he'd rather spend the time working with coaches, getting stronger and refining skills for his 'real' season (travel ball - perfectgame, prospectwire, USA Baseball etc.).  I won't get to details but lets just say he's not challenged by the program and it's like taking two steps forward (summer) and one step back (HS).  

I'm concerned by his statement.  I don't want him to be labelled a quiter (although he won't be quiting mid-season, he'll stick it out) or arrogant $#@! who's thinks his stuff don't stink.  I don't want scouts and recruiters looking down on him for this decision...   I come from an era where you stick it out, go the traditional route, etc.  Even though I really don't know the traditional route....  So I'm having an open mind.

What are the pitfalls of taking this route?

What are the alternatives?  It seems to me that HS baseball is necessary.

Please advise.

To me, the bolded statement is the real issue.  He's got to figure out how not to take a step back in the spring due to the weak HS program.  The best way, IMO, is for him to own the process of getting better and not place blame on the HS program.  Be the hardest worker during HS practice and take the opportunity to be a leader.  Continue to work out with his hitting coach and fielding coach in the evenings (if need be, put your foot down with the HS coach on this point, rather than quit).  Hit the weight room during lunch a couple times a week - continue to get bigger and stronger.  Do yoga on the weekend.  Work on speed.  The one area that he'll need to adjust in the summer is hitting the better pitching - it may take a few games to get his timing down but he'll be fine.

Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth I played high school ball. One year we were 10-1 when I pitched and 1-8 when I didn’t. I was often pitching out of error induced jams. My pitch counts had to be high (not an issue then). It never dawned on me to quit. My teammates were my friends. I felt an obligation to make it the best season possible. 

As a parent of a 5yo and newborn we selected a school district based on academics. The high school stunk at all but country club sports. It all changed as my kid’s classes got to middle school and high school. Not just because of my kids. But they were part of it. 

Last edited by RJM

Need more details

Valid reasons (in my opinion) to not play High School Baseball:

Injury concerns.  Arm getting abused by coach.  Coach not willing to change the arm abuse.

Other than that, unless the Coach is a complete sociopathic criminal, or engaging in overly excessive behavior such as punching players in the face, telling pitchers to intentionally throw at opponent's heads, sexually harassing the player's Mom etc, I'd say go play...

Couple things I'd like to add-

1st, as far as the step back goes- my son experienced this last season. He'd been training his ass off over the winter and when the season started was pretty much in peak form ready to roll. When HS season kicked in neither the workouts nor the practices were as rigorous as what he'd had in the off-season and as a result near the end of the season his velo was down and his pitches were suffering. He went the entire first month of the season without giving up an earned run and only allowing 9 hits. He gave up 10 hits his last game of the season! He learned his lesson with about 2 weeks left in the season and started working extra on his own (weighted balls, long toss, etc) , so by summer ball he was getting himself ramped back up and had a great summer. This year he's determined to keep working like it's the off-season and avoid the in-season dropoff.

2nd, the coach for the school he has committed to has already sent an email asking for weekly HS updates. Clearly they're expecting him to play HS ball of for no other reason than to make sure the kid they've verbally committed to giving money to doesn't start to suck.

3rd, Our local paper has a great prep sports department, and it's pretty cool to see his name in the paper once a week or so. I'm not sure that actually helps with anything, but it can't hurt, and neither can ending up all-conference, all-area and hopefully all-state. Opportunities he can only get if he plays in HS.

3and2Fastball posted:

Need more details

Injury concerns.  Arm getting abused by coach.  Coach not willing to change the arm abuse.

Other than that, unless the Coach is a complete sociopathic criminal, or engaging in overly excessive behavior such as punching players in the face, telling pitchers to intentionally throw at opponent's heads, sexually harassing the player's Mom etc, I'd say go play...

Only slight overuse issues...

I would say that learning to deal with that pressure is a good thing... embrace it.  

Last edited by Robrod

All good input. YES, play ball! There is much more to learn from being a leader and simply competing for his team. It's easy to play for a good team and adversity will only make him better!

My '18 has played for a very weak HS program. Every player plays the game for the enjoyment of the game, most seldom seek playing after HS as their goals are different. He helps his peers with pointers when asked and supports his teammates leading by example.

NEVER discount what the HS coach or program can do for your player. My sons HS coach received a phone call from his future college coach.............In 22 years, not one college coach had ever contacted him for a specific player. This phone call had one question, "What am I getting"? He knew the HS coach had no skin in the game and wasn't being paid by the player/parents. The college coach went on to state that travel coaches will lie to get a player to the next level as they benefit   from it.

Knowing the coach was a teacher first and  baseball coach second made him a valued opinion in the recruitment of my son. I'm glad as a parent that we instilled good values that show good character both on and off the field.

Robrod posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Need more details

Only slight overuse issues... He led the school in innings, pitches, strikouts last year and was pitcher of the year.  I'm not OVERLY concerned.  he's not a pitcher as much as he is a hitter and he's pretty good at telling the coach when he's sore... they listen.

I'd classify the coach as a grumpy old guy.... so what.  He can deal with that. 

I think it's more about the fact that it's not fun to lose and the way it's happening.  He puts a lot on himself.  He feels that he needs to be perfect and if he's perfect they have a chance to complete.  Being good, the coach relies heavily on him to be perfect....   I do think the weight of the team is on his shoulders.  I think this tension makes playing not fun.

I would say that learning to deal with that pressure is a good thing... embrace it.  

Agree?

Yes, agree and would add...  perspective.  Is there really a lot of pressure for a bad HS team?  They are not expected to win so there is only tremendous upside.  Maybe he can shift some of his efforts from being perfect to helping others be better players so he doesn't have to be perfect.  That can go a long way for him, his teammates and his HS program - IF it is done with good attitude and perspective.

This type of pressure is really nothing compared to what he is likely to face going forward.  So, yes, embrace it.

Robrod posted:

I think it's more about the fact that it's not fun to lose and the way it's happening.  He puts a lot on himself.  He feels that he needs to be perfect and if he's perfect they have a chance to complete.  Being good, the coach relies heavily on him to be perfect....   I do think the weight of the team is on his shoulders.  I think this tension makes playing not fun.

IMO, not a valid reason to not play HS ball.  What will he do if the college team he commits to ends up being "not good".  

As others have said the college coaches will be wanting updates from his HS coach from time to time.  If he tells a college coach he stopped playing because the team "was not good" it is going to work against him.   In addition there is the possibility the college guys find out he was playing HS for a while and stopped.  They may decide that want to put a call into the HS coach to verify your sons story.  

At the end of the day, your sons situation is not unique.  Many high level players play for HS teams that are not good.  They find a way to suck it up and deal with it.  Your son needs to find it within himself to get into a mindset that supports his HS team.

My son played for what is probably the only HS in America to have 3 first round draft picks and current Major Leaguer's as well as a good number of other good college level players transfer out. It wasn't the coach was a jerk or anything like that, he just played players by their grade, not their talent and you didn't play varsity till 11th grade no matter how good you are.  Imagine a first overall pick playing JV in the 10th grade.  In 5 years on the team  my son played in only 12 games at the varsity level in his true position, catcher.  He was forced to pitch, play first and DH because all the other good pitchers left, there wasn't much talent behind him either.  Several local colleges came to look at him and told him he could walk on in the fall but they didn't think there was anyway he'd make the team and encouraged him to go elsewhere.  His coach even told him one day some college kept calling and leaving messages on his phone asking about him, did he know what they wanted?  He never even called them back.  He did play for a top showcase team in the summer but nothing ever came of that either.  He ended up with a D3 coach he was taking hitting lessons with making a call to a D1 JUCO.  After one year there and being named first team all Region catcher he had a number of D1 offers including an SEC team, an ACC team and several mid majors, even one of the teams that told him not to bother walking on offered him a full scholarship (it was a very low rated academic school and he would have gotten academic money as well as baseball money).  The coach said he didn't know he could catch and hit like that.  He accepted a mid major D1 in the state and did well, even lighting up the other school that rejected him in 3 out of 4 games they played against them.  He went on to become a first team all conference catcher and was drafted.  He has just finished 4 years of indie pro ball. 

If I had to do it again I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same thing, it worked out well for him this time, and moving just so your son can play ball is expensive, but I definitly think he should play HS ball, just don't get hurt.

Robrod posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Need more details

Only slight overuse issues... He led the school in innings, pitches, strikouts last year and was pitcher of the year.  I'm not OVERLY concerned.  he's not a pitcher as much as he is a hitter and he's pretty good at telling the coach when he's sore... they listen.

Agree?

If he can’t handle the weight of the high school team on his shoulders he’s a long way from having the required mental and emotional discipline to compete for playing time at the college level. He should play high school ball just to work through handling the pressure. 

Chances are there will be frustration and pressure at the college level. Everyone can play. Will he be mentally ready when he gets his shot? What happens if he’s hitting .240 and knows if he doesn’t perform better he could end up on the bench? What if he sits then gets one shot to prove himself? Will he be mentally ready?

From having played and watching both kids play it’s the players who have mental disciple who survive college ball. After the first five studs (relative to the level of play) chances are the next thirty are competing for playing time at about thirteen positions. 

It’s an honor to earn the right to play college ball. It’s a challenge to prove you deserve to stay and play.

Last edited by RJM
Robrod posted:

Agree?

Robrod,

Again, I know what you're thinking and going through.   Not easy to be on losing or average high school team and good enough to be on a 16U Perfect Game WWBA Championship team.....that was my son a few years ago.  He hated losing but it gave him new opportunites to stand out, separate himself from others, and be a leader on his high school team.   My son is not much of a talker.  He led by example, and it got the respect of his teammates, opponents and other coaches in his District.   A couple of those coaches commented to me after games that my son had a "knack and a gift" both as a pitcher and a hitter.   

High school coaches talk and it didn't take long for college coaches to show up and some area scouts to take notice.  Playing high school baseball is just another opportunity for your son to showcase his skills, leadership, and demonstrate he is ready for the next level.   I think if he treats it that way, he will relax and not feel as though he has to carry the team.   Trust me, I've been there.

Good luck!

Smitty28 posted:
Robrod posted:

I have a son (2020 year) who has had private hitting/fielding/pitching coaches for many years.  Some free, some not... but all are top notch.  These are men who have played Major League Baseball, each for several years and one has even coached at that level.  They teach baseball 'the right way' and are often hitting/pitching/fielding coordinators still employed by MLB organizations for Rookie, winter and spring pro ball. 

He plays Travel ball for a highly regarded Pro Scout team and is on some scout watch lists (whatever that means).   So he's talented but I have no delusions that he'll be an early round draft candidate but he does have interest from D1s...... Problem is, his high school program is simply not very good.  He recently stated that this is his last year playing HS Baseball and that he'd rather spend the time working with coaches, getting stronger and refining skills for his 'real' season (travel ball - perfectgame, prospectwire, USA Baseball etc.).  I won't get to details but lets just say he's not challenged by the program and it's like taking two steps forward (summer) and one step back (HS).  

I'm concerned by his statement.  I don't want him to be labelled a quiter (although he won't be quiting mid-season, he'll stick it out) or arrogant $#@! who's thinks his stuff don't stink.  I don't want scouts and recruiters looking down on him for this decision...   I come from an era where you stick it out, go the traditional route, etc.  Even though I really don't know the traditional route....  So I'm having an open mind.

What are the pitfalls of taking this route?

What are the alternatives?  It seems to me that HS baseball is necessary.

Please advise.

To me, the bolded statement is the real issue.  He's got to figure out how not to take a step back in the spring due to the weak HS program.  The best way, IMO, is for him to own the process of getting better and not place blame on the HS program.  Be the hardest worker during HS practice and take the opportunity to be a leader.  Continue to work out with his hitting coach and fielding coach in the evenings (if need be, put your foot down with the HS coach on this point, rather than quit).  Hit the weight room during lunch a couple times a week - continue to get bigger and stronger.  Do yoga on the weekend.  Work on speed.  The one area that he'll need to adjust in the summer is hitting the better pitching - it may take a few games to get his timing down but he'll be fine.

A lot of high school programs are "easier" than travel programs.  HS teachers/coaches can't be hard a###s anymore.  

And unless they play even worse competition, they will have their opportunities.  My kid has faced several D1 pitchers at the high school level.  It keeps you sharp.  

Scouts do not come to watch teams. They come to watch players. The obvious metrics are easy. Arm strength, athletic ability, ability to hit, power, fielding. You learn a great deal about the make up of a player when he his getting his teeth kicked in and he plays like he's not. You learn a great deal about a player when he's down by 10 but you can't tell by the way he competes. Scouts understand that HS teams can be bad. They understand you can't control the quality of your team mates. How do you handle it?

For me these situations are just opportunities. An opportunity to make those around you better. An opportunity to be a leader. An opportunity to grow. Scouts could quite honestly care less about the quality of the HS team you play on. They are there to see if you have the tools and you can use them. And of course what is your make up?

Will it matter if you simply leave and find a better team to play on? Maybe not. Will it raise a red flag or two? Maybe not. Will it be an opportunity lost? I always go back to a kid that was pulled because his team was way up and he was about to get a chance to launch his 3rd HR of the night. There were numerous scouts in the house. What did he do? He shagged foul balls and cheered his team on the last 2 innings. I think that made a bigger impression on the scouts there that night than Josh Hamilton's play did. At least that's what many said.

Last night 2018 was playing in a scrimmage, 6-7 teams there scouting.  The umpire lived three houses down from me, you might think 2018 was to get at least a  fair zone..... nope, Ump was concerned about favoritism and gave him a clowns mouth against a team that won the state championship last year.  BTW it was 42 degrees...  first batter K's , second batter K's  third batter hits a normal ball at SS, soph boots it to third base.  fourth batter hits a pop up in foul territory on the right side... dropped...  Runner steals and catcher has him by 10 feet.... short lets the ball go into center field.  Fourth batter again K's  .... White Sox guy says  and I quote  "well he didn't cuss anyone" 

I think I forgot how bad HS ball is.

Last edited by bacdorslider

Softball but same difference. 

There's a girl here who's forgone HS softball and just did the TB thing. And we have an exceptional program, going unbeaten in the regular season most of the 7 years we've lived here with a couple of state titles . Don't know if it's a coach/player thing or what but she committed to a top level DI program recently. Also checked out her Twitter and noticed a few of the HS players commenting and liking post so doesn't seem to be any animosity. 

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad
RJM posted:

The top soccer academies are telling their players (D1 and pro prospects) you will not play for the high school. Maybe there are less soccer coaches who played the game at a high level and know the game than baseball.

I have one soccer player. In our area many of the soccer club coaches didn't go to an american HS with sports. They may have no idea what HS camaraderie is all about and selfishly are just trying to keep their lucrative soccer coach gigs, by controlling the product.   Sadly we've reached a tipping point in baseball where HS programs are just for fun; but since you can't do both at the same time, there's a conflict.  I think state athletic associations should eliminate that restriction but require that pitching logs are kept, but I can see arguments on both sides including prevention of injuries etc. 

Last edited by 2020.2023dad
2020.2023dad posted:
...  Sadly we've reached a tipping point in baseball where HS programs are just for fun; but since you can't do both at the same time, there's a conflict.  ....

I certainly do not see that we've reached that tipping point with baseball.  The majority of top HS age players still play baseball for their HS. Yes, of course, a legitimate travel team in a given area will typically be slightly more competitive than the average HS in the area.  This only stands to reason.  The travel team is likely to be made up of a handful of the best from each of the area HS's.  

Most HS age players that want to play "just for fun"?  My observation is that a good many of them are getting cut by their HS programs or getting passed by with PT because so many of their peers are playing both HS and travel ball and working extra on their game outside of the normal HS team practice time and working the hardest with every rep at those practices. 

Tying this in to my other post...  At the moment, I do not have clear separation between my 6th best guy and my 13th best guy.  Each game, penning the lineup requires some deep digging.  We had a big league game yesterday.  We were playing a team with a LH ace and a lineup that can hit any pitching.  I have a good LH hitter who doesn't move well.   Looking at his recent offensive production and his history against this ace, I was set on replacing him in the lineup.  The few days leading up to the game, he pushed even beyond his normal strong efforts.  He is the only kid that finished outfield drills in a full sweat.  He refused to back down on any hitting rep, whether it be cage swings, front toss, on-field, whatever... clearly determined to create separation where there was none or where it was tipping against him.  I reluctantly took out my eraser and penciled him in.  He carried that determination into the game...  among other things... game winning RBI.

2020.2023dad posted:

So for all these reasons, no reason to get your nose out of joint if your D1 prospect Sophomore kid is playing with his buddies on JV and they move up the son of the asst coach, his buddy, and the son of the booster club president?  Or am I wrong about that?  

Well, there would have to be quite a few assumptions made that may or may not be true in order for us to answer your question.  One thing I can offer up with near certainty... If we are talking about actually getting varsity PLAYING TIME, if that D1 prospect sophomore has already developed to the point where there is CLEAR SEPARATION between him and others getting PLAYING TIME at varsity, the vast majority of HS coaches would choose that player to get that playing time and give their team the best chance to win, no matter who's son the other players might be.

There are a heck of a lot of other factors as to who goes on what roster.  It's probably safe to say that we typically have a few JV players who are better than the last few to make the varsity roster.  But things like making sure the better players get game innings, ability and willingness to fill a role, position fit, likely eligibility, chemistry and a whole lot of other things come into play.

There is always going to be bias in many ways for a variety of reasons.  The message to send the player is always to create clear separation.  If you haven't, work harder.  Just as there will always be hurdles.  If you haven't cleared them, jump higher.  Find a way.  Focusing on those biases and hurdles as things that are keeping you down is self-defeating excuse making.  Focus on them as challenges to be conquered and rise up.  I have a small handful of players who will not let me take them out of the lineup.  Not because they say so, because they play so.

2020.2023dad posted:

So for all these reasons, no reason to get your nose out of joint if your D1 prospect Sophomore kid is playing with his buddies on JV and they move up the son of the asst coach, his buddy, and the son of the booster club president?  Or am I wrong about that?  

With the diversity of posters here you will hear every possible thing that could happen. In the big picture it doesn’t happen that often. Some of the time the accusation it’s an excuse why a parent’s kid isn’t on varsity. The “favored” is actually a player.

Our rival high school coach was accused of favoritism with both kids. They both became D1 players. The one thing parents sometimes overlook is the coach knows what his kids can do. Another potential JV call up may be a mystery gamble to him. 

The best advice is practice hard and be too good to not be on varsity. It’s usually the parents of marginal kids you hear whining about favortism.

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.