Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We practiced in May and then sporadically during the season. We would usually play a DH on Tuesday nights for league and then leave for a tournament on Thursday morning or Wednesday evening, so it was pretty tough to fit it in.

I personally believe that summer ball is about playing games and seeing good, constant competition.
Our organization takes very few days off in the summer. From early June through early August they will play every weekend/week. If the team is not playing a tourney or traveling to play in one, they're probably going to have a practice. The intensity of the practices will certainly vary, but keeping their timing at the plate is imperative and working on any issues that arose during the previous tourney need to be addressed...all while trying to rest the arms for upcoming games. It's easier once the kids are old enough to drive themselves locally. I'm wondering if the "too much" is coming from the dad/mom taxi vs the player.
When we were younger and the players needed serious development we practiced maybe once weekly. However, since we are now a Connie Mack team, we call a practice and this is what the players are thinking in their minds:

Are you kidding coach, practice

On the serious side, we have a camp after all high school playoffs are completed and all players can be in attendance which we do before the start of the season. After that we are playing so often, we set up in the outfield prior to each game and cover any fundamental challenges we saw in the prior game. Of course we will meet and work with individual players as needed and at the coach or players request. It works well with us, we have a 100% rate with them going on to play at the next level and beyond.
Last edited by SWAC
quote:
Originally posted by 643_DP:
Nope.

I agree.

Besides, try implementing a timing pick without a regular middle infielder.

Try putting in a bunt defense without your first baseman.

How about catchers signs to a pitcher that just showed up in the third week of June.

And we wonder why the game has changed.

Where the big leagues has become an individual competition.

Where players are evaluated on skills alone.

Here I go again. I will save you all the grief.

Team regards,
I've always tried to keep it to 5 days of baseball and 2 days off. If you play 5 days that week then there would be no practice. If you only played 3 days that week I would schedule 2 practices. When rainouts and re-schedules come into play things can change but that has been a rule of thumb I find to be about right for a high school aged group
quote:
Originally posted by Out in LF:
Hey Ken, I thought you just filled out a line up card? Big Grin

I do.

I just like to talk big to trick people into thinking I actually might know something.

Really, I'm just a broke down wannabe bullpen catcher.

As long as we can play in events that promise hundreds of scouts thats all that matters. Cost is no consideration. Can't put a price tag on number of scouts to lend an unbelievable opportunity.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
I like this....
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
quote:
Originally posted by Out in LF:
Hey Ken, I thought you just filled out a line up card? Big Grin

I do.

I just like to talk big to trick people into thinking I actually might know something.

Really, I'm just a broke down wannabe bullpen catcher.

As long as we can play in events that promise hundreds of scouts thats all that matters. Cost is no consideration. Can't put a price tag on number of scouts to lend an unbelievable opportunity.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.