Skip to main content

A friend/former teammate’s son had an All American career at a ranked SEC program. He was drafted in the first round. He’s in his 7th MLB season at thirty-one. 

The same school recruited the younger brother. I went to see the younger kid play in a Legion regional. He wasn’t the best player on the field. A kid headed for the Big East (when it was still relevant) was the best player. I didn’t see SEC player in the younger brother. He transferred to a JuCo after freshman year and had a quality two years at a C-USA program.

Whether it’s the same college or a different one can a younger kid ride the coattails of his older brother’s success in the recruiting process? There’s no doubt in my mind kid’s coattail their father’s MLB success.

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Last edited by RJM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes and No. Yes from having a brother go through the process.  No from getting any offers.

Smoke has a younger one going through recruiting now.  My younger guy did so a couple years ago.  Our family had more knowledge about college baseball recruiting because we had all been to the rodeo before.  That was hugely helpful.

My oldest was a D1 guy.  PG Top Prospect.  Two way player nationally ranked at SS and RHP.  6'2", 200 lbs.  Super athletic; could've played soccer in college too.  Strong student.  Younger brother just wasn't fishing in the same pond.  Much smaller, less athletic, lower grades and test scores.  

Having gone through the process once, and seeing what a D1 player looked like, it was very very helpful to know my youngest was targeting very different schools and level of play.

No college coach would offer my youngest a roster spot because he had an older brother playing ball.  They offered him solely on his own merits.  A handful of coaches returned emails or calls or took meetings with my younger guy because of the relationship my oldest (and our family) established during his recruiting process.  But that was the extent of it.  Perhaps if they were closer in ability things would've been different. 

I think if your older brother went through the program, and they were left with a solid impression of the family, it really helps.  And if the older brother produced, so much the better.   Sometimes the younger sibling is recruited just because the team knows he'll be a solid team guy in the dugout.  If he's not quite as talented, he may end up as a recruited walk-on, and sometimes that comes with a thumb on the scales with the admissions department.

If you're talking about the same program....then yes, absolutely.  If you're talking about a younger kid getting more looks overall because of his older brother....maybe.   If a kid goes thru a program, works hard, does things right and has good parents (not kidding), the younger brother has a great start on being looked at by that program.  Of course he still has to be able to play, but if it comes down to him and an "outsider" it's probably going to get him the nod.   Also, the coaches know the kids' financial situation too so they have a better idea what kind of offer it would take to get him compared to another kid

Well, it certainly helps if your father is a MLB guy, lol!  FWIW, son's organization is known for drafting sons of former MLB players!  (but not in my son's case).

I can quickly think of three sets of brothers that have recently played at the University of Virginia.  All three older brothers were eventually drafted and the younger brother of one this past June.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.