Skip to main content

I was watching ESPN, and they were showing Barry's at bats tonight. In is third or fourth at bat, can't remember which, the pitcher lets a pitch get away from him and it goes behind Barry. The pitcher is given a warning for this. After three more pitches on the inside part of the plate, Barry is hit in the back with a fastball, which resulted in the ejection of the pitcher. While I don't understand all the inside pitches this at bat, I also don't understand the quick ejection of the pitcher. Pitchers can't be expected to come inside consistantly anymore in today's game with the fear of being thrown out by hitting a batter. Just my 2 cents on topic. Any other thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BeenthereIL:
He (Springer) is a hamburger
He (Springer) actually made it to the big leagues. Remind us how far you got in your baseball playing career?

IS...I was drafted by the Braves organization and played in the minor leagues for 2 years.

Now, I'm a FAN and I can say what I want! (Cartman in South Park)

How far did you get in your baseball career?

When a guy like Springer throws at me, I have a problem with that...When he throws 5 pitches (one behind me and then one that hits me)at me, I'd go out and punch him in the face.

Barry is too nice with mopes like Springer. I'm really disappointed in his teammates not doing anything.

Of course, maybe the fact that the Astros got smoked by the Giants 10-1 and 14-3 in the two games had something to do with Springer's attitude.
Last edited by BeenthereIL
quote:
I also don't understand the quick ejection of the pitcher. Pitchers can't be expected to come inside consistantly anymore in today's game with the fear of being thrown out by hitting a batter. Just my 2 cents on topic. Any other thoughts?

Well, it could be because he was obviously trying to bean him. Most blatent attempt to hit a batter since Clemens stood in against the Mets, last year, I think.
The whole thing got me questioning my own opinion.

Bonds is a plate hugger. Lets put a pitcher on the mound who is throwing inside to to back him off, the first two pitches wizz under his elbow, he's warned and Bonds does not move back, the next pitch hits him in the elbow. The pitcher and coach are both booted. How does a pitching staff deal with a batter that even when brushed back will not give ground?

If it was a .230 reserve who was the batter in this situation would it be getting the same coverage?
Have you seen the at bat in question?

The first pitch was behind him!!!

When a big league pitcher throws behind a hitter, he is trying to hit him.

On the other hand, when a big league pitcher plays dodge ball and take 5 pitches to get the job done, it make me wonder if the art of nailing a hitter in the ribs and sending him on down to first has been lost.

BTW - it was a .233 part time player that was being pegged Smile
quote:
Originally posted by nd943:
I'm not a Barry Bonds fan, as most people arn't. But throwing consecutive pitches at someone, the last being near his head, is just flat out wrong. It's crossing the line, something you just don't do in baseball.

I think you might have trouble convincing Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson, and a few others of that...

If Springer's control was a little better, I imagine it would have only taken one pitch.
quote:
it make me wonder if the art of nailing a hitter in the ribs and sending him on down to first has been lost.

Pitchers work on location for their whole life and still have a hard time hitting spots in the zone. Where do they practice hitting the 5th rib? Springer just didn't have his control down. But, you have to give him credit for not giving up. Big Grin
quote:
Pitchers work on location for their whole life and still have a hard time hitting spots in the zone. Where do they practice hitting the 5th rib? Springer just didn't have his control down. But, you have to give him credit for not giving up.

Randy...

I'm stunned that you would write this and agree that he should have been drilled. He threw the 1st pitch behind Bonds. All of the rest were WAY INSIDE before he finally hit him.

Had nothing to do with "control". He was throwing at him, simple as that. "...give him credit for not giving up..." Shame on you. I dont' care if you HATE Bonds.

Best way to get back at someone: Giants 10-1; Giants 14-3; and, Giants 10-1.

You go, Barry.
John,

My first comment was.......

quote:
The whole thing got me questioning my own opinion.

I have never promoted hitting someone and never will. However, I do believe that a pitcher has the right to protect his plate. I understand but still have a problem with a retailiation pitch and I would have thought that would be your stance also. My point is that what is the difference between throwing at someone without a reason and throwing at someone because the coach says so, in both cases there is intent. I am huge proponent of pitching inside and if you saw my son throw you would understand that the nut doesn't fall far from the bush. How do we know how many brush back pitches througout the history of baseball were nothing more than missed attempts to hit someone?

The "give him credit" comment was toungue in cheek and a subliminal way to promote discussion.

There was not a relationship with my comments and Bonds. As far as I'm concerned I will always acknowledge his baseball greatness pre-2003. After that date I will remember him for his attitude on and off the field.
Last edited by rz1
I think I've posted here a few times about my complete dislike, distaste and disgust for barry bonds, but throwing behind him (throwing behind any batter)is inexcusable. It is dangerous and life threatening. Springer's conduct was bush league in this.

Nothing wrong with throwing inside, but the sequence in this at bat crossed the line.
quote:
Originally posted by HeyBatter:
I think I've posted here a few times about my complete dislike, distaste and disgust for barry bonds, but throwing behind him (throwing behind any batter)is inexcusable. It is dangerous and life threatening. Springer's conduct was bush league in this.

Nothing wrong with throwing inside, but the sequence in this at bat crossed the line.

Well put.

And for once how about someone giving Bonds some credit. I would say 8 out 10 other players in the league, if given the same pitches, would have at bare minimum verbally spouted off with expletives (which the youth of america really don't need to see) or they would have charged the mound (which again the youth of america don't need to see).

What did Barry do-what he normally does when it doesn't go his way (speaking of being walked here)-gave a look, took his arm protector off, and trotted to 1st base.
Last edited by ZacksDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.