Skip to main content

I was watching a bull pen today. The pitcher had a very good change up, good fb, etc. However, the pitcher has trouble having the same stuff in a game.

Don't get me wrong. This is a very highly regarded pitcher.

It got me to wondering if others out there have kids with the same problem.

I know my son has a great bull pen change up, but is working very hard to relax and have it be as good in games. He tends to tighten up and aim it.

My question is do some kids look great in bullpens and not so good in games, is there a point at which it becomes debilitating and what kinds of things can be done to help?

On a more subtle level could this be why some pitchers are more highly regarded by pro scouts than college coaches?

My son had this problem when he was first starting out pitching. He was a late starter. We got him the book by Dorfman, "Mental ABC's of Pitching". It took 2 years to have his bullpen stuff go to the games situation.

Is this a makeup issue or a development issue?

Just wondering if others have thoughts on this.
"Don't sweat the small stuff." "I am responsible for the effort -- not the outcome. "
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great question Eric! As you know,my son concentrated on basketball year round until his Jr year of hs- then made the switch to baseball, with many seasons of little league under his belt, but no select teams, year round play, or lessons etc.
After he focused on baseball year round, 2 things really relieved him of performance anxiety. the first was a really wise select coach. He told him he wasn't ready to be a starter- not enough experience - and proceeded to pull him into a game when it all seemed hopeless- you know the story- no outs, bases loaded, tie game etc, etc. He did this all summer. It worked- he gained a lot of needed experience in tough situations. He didn't really feel a lot of pressure- and had a fair amount of success, which led to his being a regular starter by the end of the season. I'll always be grateful to that coach for placing him in situations that allowed "quick catch up"
The second situation, as odd as this may sound, was the first (and only really horrible) time that he got "rocked". Oh, it was painful, but it got the monkey off his back, and led to wiser decision making regarding which pitch to throw in such situations. His feeling was, the worse has happened, things can only get better from here. It developed maturity. Sure hope it continues- the ante is upped making the transition from hs to college! 14
BigHit15- In my experience, I've found that the reason that many kids can't take their stuff to the mound from the pen is fear of failure. Many kids have a difficult time dealing with the pressure of being in the center of the diamond, and they struggle because they are thinking about the pressure and not the job at hand.
This is a difficult thing to combat because it is obviously mental and not physical. My advice is as follows:
1- Make sure the kid does the same routine to get ready every single time out. Some kids NEED that routine, and that is what relaxes them and reminds them that they will do well, like usual.
2- Have him get a good run in AFTER he throws in the pen. Some kids need to find an outlet for the eagerness and/or tension of the situation, and a good run will get the blood flowing and allow some escape for any anxiety that may have built up.
3- Positive reinforcement. All kids, regardless of how confident or cocky they seem, need positive reinforcement. That can really affect their mental approach to taking the mound, which in turn will certainly help them to know that the one person that could go with someone else (the head coach) doesn't want to...they feel that this kid is the right guy for the job.

**Good luck - not an exact science, but mental issues can really get in the way of great talent.
My son is a 5'10" and 147 lbs junior right now (155 in season, he's a wrestler) and cruises at 83. Not going to impress anybody. The only reason he is getting opportunities is his ability to take whatever it is that he has to the mound. It is his unbelievable belief in his ability. He gets better players out simply because he can't fathom that anyone is better than he is. It's really irrational. It isn't something he has to talk himself into. Obviously he has experienced failure. He's got the attention span of a squirrel, he's immature at times and his warmup routine (or lack of one) drives coaches nuts, but it's that closers or fighter pilot mentality and a short memory that enables him to succeed at every level to this point. As a young persons pitching coach, I think we spend too much time on mechanics and far too little time on the mental part of the game. Kyle Farnsworth of the Cubs could have used some mental attention? I'd love to get into his head and crawl around a bit! Also Coach Knight, I really like your approach. Smile
With pitching at the HS level and even more so, post high school there is an emphasis is on location. Some guys can throw a good pen because they consider it just that, a pen. Then they go into a game and will get rocked or can't hit a spot. As Coach Knight says consistent preparation is the key to consistent success. There is nothing more frustrating than a watching a "get ready" bull pen where at the end of the session the pitcher is not using game time rhythm and spotting, and then wonders why he can not succeed.
Last edited by rz1
Normally have a different kind of problem. Bullpens prior to a game are no problem. Everything is building towards starting the game, working the pitches, refining the touch.

Our problem was always throwing pen's in showcases where you don't actually pitch. It just felt wrong. You weren't building towards anything, not polishing and refining for that days event, working on your concentration, focus, etc.

He never had a good showcase pen in his life. The games were never a problem.
I see where you are coming from about the "meaningless pens". However, I think it's a stage where no matter what level, you will be judged. Last year at my sons college games whenever there was a draft eligible pitcher warming up many of the scouts would be right there front row. Afterall, they get the opportunity to look up close and personal usually within 20 feet at mechanics, ball movement, nerves, and whatever else they look for with out having the game as a distraction. Pitchers are the only position that gets these solo performances on a regular basis. It may be hard to get focused and pumped during a pen but I think it is something to work on because you never know who is watching.
Last edited by rz1
Mine almost always takes his problems in the pen to the mound. I think we sometimes have looser standards for success in the pen and are surprised when that doesn't work on the mound.

Facing a hitter can help some pitchers because the hitters will help them by putting the ball in play before they can walk the hitter and it will hurt other pitchers because the hitter will put the ball in play hard on what would be considered a good pitch in the pen.
Fortunately, not long after my son starting pitching he was extremely candid in some of our post-game discussions. I quickly realized that confidence is huge in pitching. Seems to be a greater factor in hitting than in fielding.

Since that time I always worked very hard to help my pitchers build confidence. Lots of positive reinforcement, and choosing my words very carefully when things were not going well.

At this point, my son hopes to go on the hill when it is late in the game with bases loaded and no outs. He just loves those situations. And he has become very successful in those situations. He was the top closer on his select team, even though he was 1-2 years younger than the rest of the team. And not a big fellow either.

With regard to what goes on in warmups, it doesn't shake his confidence. If a given pitch isn't working well in the pen, he will go ahead & try it in the game. If it still isn't working, he will use other pitches to get the job done. He throws more different pitches than the average pitcher, so this doesn't pose the problem that it would for a two or three pitch pitcher.

Now if I can just get more of that confidence to rub off on his hitting...
Working on a pitcher's mental tools is just as important as working on the other tools.
One might have a great bullpen, basically few mechanical problems, but then during the game the breakdown that occurs could be mental. Most experienced pitchers can tell from their bullpen before a game if their stuff is or is not working. If it is not working, he may feel less confident when he begins, if it is working and gets rocked, he could lose confidence. I do believe this is where good coaching comes into play.
Phoenixdad,
Don't worry about throwing those pens in the showcases where your son does not pitch, those scouts and coaches know exactly what they are looking for. This might be a good area of mental training to work on so he feels confident and relaxed.
A pen prior to taking the mound, with out a purpose is meaningless and causes irratic "spot" pitching.

Does your pitching coach teach "Zeroing In" by location. If your pitcher does not know what this is he is going to the mound with a shotgun not a rifle. The rifle affect is what you want.

After I stopped coaching my son he has never had a coach that teaches "Zeroing In". But after his high school season he finally gave up on just throwing pens and started "Zeroing In" again. As a result he started hitting his spots more consistently.

What is "zeroing in"?

It is pitching to location in a methodical way.

Starting with the locations at 6 inches off the plate hitting spots at locations which are numbered and presented by the catcher as the second series of signs, ie., as in for instance. The first sign, is type of pitch, second sign is "spot location". Some catchers will give an influence location by tapping the inner thigh, or some other similar sign to alert the pitcher at what degree of movement he wants on the pitch.

But in the bullpen "zeroing in" requires that the pitcher go through a methodical routine.

It starts with location at the 6 inch off the plate.

Starting with the FB...

Next location is the "black edge" of the plate.

Next location is "down the middle" used at 3-0 counts.

And is done on both sides of the plate, using a "phantom" right handed batter.

Then the CB...same thing all over again.

then the Changeup...same thing all over again.

Each location should be thrown to until the pitcher can hit the location three pitches in a row...with each type of pitch.

This routine should be practiced with every bullpen...and should take around 25 to 50 pitches...or from 15 minutes to 30 minutes depending on what kind of level of pitcher.

The problem with most pitchers, catchers and coaches is the complete undisciplined nature of the way they handle this aspect of getting ready to go to the mound.

I've watched pitchers throw for 10 minutes with no rhyme or reason to their warm up and then wonder why the first pitch they throw is deposited over the fence.

As much as I have coached about this kind of thinking in warming up, pitchers don't always zero in. And then you have the programs that leave it up to the catcher to decide how many pitches he's going to catch before he stops the bullpen...and that's a total mistake.

What does zeroing in do for your pitcher...it gives him the confidence he needs that he has locked in his locations before he goes to the mound...and for a pitcher that is everything.

You can teach, but people don't always listen. It is up to the coaches to make sure their pitchers are zeroing in...period.
Last edited by PiC
We generally follow a routine I probably found a link to from this board. After loosening up we have them throw 4 pitches to a target a foot outside, 4 to a target a foot inside, 4 on the outside corner and 4 on the inside corner. We then have them throw 6 or 7 off speed pitches, a fastball to get the feel again and then 1 or 2 simulated batters.
There's the preparation side of things, both mental and physical, that give a kid confidence ... then there's just the mental makeup that is a lot genetics and some training induced behavior.

I've watched a lot of pitchers and goalkeepers because, well, my son is a pitcher and used to be a club-level goalkeeper. Both positions give parents heart attacks ... but you see two categories of kids: those that just roll with it when a goal is scored or a HR hit off them and are able to immediately come back with a big save or a money pitch as if nothing had happened ... and other kids where they can't shake it and their performance spirals downward rapidly. There are simply some personalities that aren't afraid to put themselves in critical situations over and over regardless of the outcome ... and others that can't get past their fear of failure, even before they've failed.

If you can't handle failure, you'll struggle mightily at baseball. My older son ... the one you've seen me refer to here before has a baseball personality, and excels at the game. My younger son just finished LL ... he's at best an average player and there are no "little things" in his life. Everything is a "Big Thing". I've had him play baseball not in the hopes that he'll ever be a better than average player, but to teach him how to deal with failure more productively in all areas of his life and how to work productively in a team environment. If he eventually develops his own passion for the game ... that's just a bonus.
Last edited by pbonesteele
Texan, we have the same kid and the same philosophy! Part of my brief to players, coaches and parents before the season is that I prefer no one talking to our pitcher but me. I want it all positive until I think it's time not to be positive and only I know when that is. Why? Because I've worked with each of them all Winter that's why. There is nothing that gets my goose more than a parent yelling out, "Don't lose him" or "Cmon just throw strikes" or the infamous "Let em hit it"!

PiC, I enjoyed reading your post, all I'll say is that you go about it like an engineer. There is an "ART" to pitching and preparing to pitch as well as there are artists and engineers. Never try to make an engineer out of an artist and visa versa. Do you agree?
Texan & Half ... yeah, as a parent, I've learned to just keep my mouth shut unless it's just general cheering ... "atta boy", "battle up there", "good job 20". I figure my son knows much more than me about what to do in a particular situation, so any 'sugggestions' I might yell out right in the middle of any critical situation is simply a distraction.

One of the guys I used to coach LL with would always say "Players play, Coaches coach, and parents just cheer".
Last edited by pbonesteele
Some great stuff here. I agree with Pic and Knight Coach's post. Both have something important to offer.

I'm not very smart but can I add one thing that happened this summer with my girl. We were playing the #1 team in state. We were driving to the game and she made a comment about how upset her tummy was. I laughed and said mine was too. She couldn't believe it. I told her I used to feel that way every time I pitched. She didn't believe me because I'm so confident in what I do. HECK, I TOLD HER MANY PEOPLE GET THAT FEELING. Believe it or not, that made it ok. She thought something was wrong with her because of that feeling. I would recommend that you have a good talk about that feeling. Then, I think you find a system where the routine takes over and the anxiety lessens. For most people, once the game gets going, they no longer think about the anxiety.

Our routine:

• she listens to the Disney station in the car and sings songs on the way to the game.
  • when we get to the site because we are early, she eats a banana and drinks an 8oz glass of water.
  • when the game before us or 30 minutes before the game, she runs and stretches.
  • 20 minutes before game, she starts bullpen throwing locations etc.
  • 5 minutes, drink of water, towel down and sit in chair waiting for umpires talk to finish.

All of this is JMHO! I think anything such as this will work.
Last edited by CoachB25
As a dad of a hitter, there is no "pen" for them, let me add this: he prepared mentally on the way to the game---he developed a mind set---his plus was that he always wanted the "big" at bats--bases loaded two out and the game on the line. Not much different from pitchers--- I like the pitcher who looks me in the eye and says "Coach, give me the ball !!!"

To me it is more mental preparation than anything else--being ready--if you have the physical talent the rest should take care of itself.
Last edited by TRhit
I had a parent ask me what their kid had to do because they would get nervous in pressure situations. The few lucky ones enjoy the pressure. Some can't handle the pressure and some handle it one time and have problems the next. The last one was me when it came to hitting. There were days that I didn't care who was pitching or what the situation was and days where I was beaten before I reached the plate.

The only answer I had for the parent was actually drawn from my tennis experience. In tennis the hardest thing to do is close out a close match. You almost always feel pressure and typically you tighten up a bit and don't play as well. All you can do is put yourself in those situations as often as possible. When you do two things happen. The first is that you learn how to play fairly well even when you are a bit tight and the second is once you realize that you can play well even when you are tight some of the pressure goes away because you know that you've still got a chance to get the job done even though you are feeling pressure.

Players have to practice being nervous and learn how to play when they are nervous. Pretending that we were up with bases loaded, two outs and a full count in the seventh game of the world series when we were kids was a good thing to do.
PiC, I enjoyed reading your post, all I'll say is that you go about it like an engineer. There is an "ART" to pitching and preparing to pitch as well as there are artists and engineers. Never try to make an engineer out of an artist and visa versa. Do you agree

The key to the "Zeroing In" is the programmed learning technique that is used to help the pitcher achieve a level of "confidence" that works as an offset to the nervousness created by the "situation" ie., bases loaded, bottom of the 9th, game tied.

Bullpens are useless exercises unless zeroing in is a standard component to help them achieve the "concentration level" needed to be totally focused. The "Concentration Training" which is the impartial result of the zeroing in process affects the pitcher to set him up so that he is pitching in a stress situation training environment.

Pitching may be an art form of physical grace, but it is also a human study in mental and physical physics science which shows how an exercise to achieve perfection in time, movement and motion, is also an exacting study in perfection with precision and attention to detail.

That's the reason "great" pitchers are not just throwers, but are composites of both the "learning how to pitch" but also "knowing how to pitch".

That is what is the lost art form in baseball. There are several pitchers that have learned the craft, Greg Maddux, Eric Gagne, Al Leiter of the Mets, etc. Mike Hampton from Colorado is having to learn how to pitch and he did an out standing job in the high altitude of Coors Field.

It's about location, movement, and speed, in that order. LMS ....write the initials on the inside the brim of your cap if you're a pitcher to remind you when you're out there.

Learn how to grip the ball, absolutely correctly, for each pitch you want to throw. Learn how to use your fingers to achieve movement upon release, and learn how to use your thumb to get the "Bernoulli Effect" of downward movement to the ball. Learn how to change the speeds of your pitches by moving the ball back toward your palm, or out to the tips of your fingers without changing the base grip of the pitch.

All of these hand techniques do not change your delivery mechanics at all.
Last edited by PiC
Bullpens are useless exercises unless zeroing in is a standard component to help them achieve the "concentration level" needed to be totally focused. The "Concentration Training" which is the impartial result of the zeroing in process affects the pitcher to set him up so that he is pitching in a stress situation training environment.

PiC, one of the reasons you might have trouble with some folks who read your posts is the absolute statements you make leaving no room for another view or method. I happen to agree with a lot of what you are saying however to make absolute statements like the above places you in an omnipotent position. There are quite a few educated and experienced folks who read this board who might have different experiences and ideas. To state unequivically your view without qualifying statements like "I believe that zeroing in....or it seems to me....is just plain arrogant. Also as an ex pilot and classroom teacher of aerodynamics, please, I've heard enough of your throwing Bernoulli around like he was a buddy of yours.
quote:
Coach Knight says
BigHit15- In my experience, I've found that the reason that many kids can't take their stuff to the mound from the pen is fear of failure. Many kids have a difficult time dealing with the pressure of being in the center of the diamond, and they struggle because they are thinking about the pressure and not the job at hand.

Coach I agree that it is fear of failure to some degree and with some it may be the pressure. I don't feel that pressure and fear of failure are the same thing. Example, my son is not afraid tp get on the mound in a big game. No fear! However at the level he plays at, he knows that he must develop a plus change up. Not just a good one to compliment his fb and slider.

I believe the fear of failure part comes in not being comfortable with command of the pitch) at that level) In hs it was a dominating pitch. After hs location is more important, arm slot is more important, arm speed being the same as the fb is more important, etc.

I believe that this results in a little bit of aiming which has the negative effect of slowing down the arm,and changing the slot allowing the hitters to pick it up easier and lay off of it. It is still hard to hit, they just recognize it easier.

My original post was a little vague as to what I was getting at, but the response are interesting at best and they reflect the level at which the posters son's play. I find that interesting. I do it myself. Sometimew we have to remember that different things may rquire more attention at different levels. I don't think that "zeroing in" is a cure all at all levels. jmo
How do you cure the opposite problem? In the no pressure games my son's performance drops off. If we play a lesser team and score 12 runs my son may give up 7. If we play the top team in the region and score only 1 he gives up none. He claims that he just gets in a zone in the big games and in tight situations where everything slows down and he literally doesn't even hear the dugout or fans yelling. But in a less tense situation he can't get in that zone. Has anyone heard of a way a player can some how get into the zone in the less critical games and situations? Funny thing is I don't see this with his hitting, he seems to have a consistent average in tight and relaxed situations.
Last edited by bbforlife
quote:
Originally posted by Halfmoonslider:
_Bullpens are useless exercises unless zeroing in is a standard component to help them achieve the "concentration level" needed to be totally focused. The "Concentration Training" which is the impartial result of the zeroing in process affects the pitcher to set him up so that he is pitching in a stress situation training environment._

PiC, one of the reasons you might have trouble with some folks who read your posts is the absolute statements you make leaving no room for another view or method. I happen to agree with a lot of what you are saying however to make absolute statements like the above places you in an omnipotent position. There are quite a few educated and experienced folks who read this board who might have different experiences and ideas. To state unequivically your view without qualifying statements like "I believe that zeroing in....or it seems to me....is just plain arrogant. Also as an ex pilot and classroom teacher of aerodynamics, please, I've heard enough of your throwing Bernoulli around like he was a buddy of yours.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Thanks...enthusiasm for ones ideas based upon experience is not arrogance to my way of thinking. I don't offer it as the only way...only the way I found worked for me and the boys I have taught with good results. I don't offer anything as a guarantee since that is silly in baseball the only thing guaranteed is that you will fail more than you succeed. The best that any of us can do is try to reduce how often.
quote:
Originally posted by grateful:
Good pitchers do NOT fail more than they succeed!

Oh yes they do...if the measurement is perfection or 100% correct everytime then 100% is the standard of an ERA or 0.00

But none can achieve absolute perfection...and that is the goal. So they fail more then they succeed.

What you are attributing is the results against a batter, but that discounts the "quality" of the batter.
A deviation factor would have to be included to account for all the variables that create a batting average that are not included in just swinging a bat against a pitch. There are so many variables and so many other factors dealing with conditions that could impact a pitcher's efficiency that it would be hard to get a true measurement of "perfection" even using a derived factor as the Standard Of Deviation for working against a mythical "Perfection Factor".

That's the reason historically it is accepted that an ERA below a 3.00 is the standard for a "good" pitcher.
Last edited by PiC
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
quote:
Originally posted by PiC:

Pitching may be an art form of physical grace, but it is also a human study in mental and physical physics science which shows how an exercise to achieve perfection in time, movement and motion, is also an exacting study in perfection with precision and attention to detail.

Pure bs IMO.

On Google there are 12,134

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?query=Physics+of+Baseball%2C+Edu

websites on the study of Physics Of Baseball. Baseball is a science...I had my first college coach drum that into my head, and have learned the game from that perspective.
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Pic,

You wouldnt know a standard deviation if it hit you right between the eyes. LOL

Additionally - and contrary to your nonsense - it would not be difficult to calculate the definition of true perfection.

You can use the big words - but I doubt very much you can apply them based on your cyber dribble.

IMO - of course.

We'll apply our standard deviation factor here and allow for insolence to produce drivel.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.