Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
quote:
Originally posted by Train:
Walden should go to college and come out in 2 yrs and prove them all wrong.

There is nothing wrong with going to school!!!

The kid deserved better than the 12th round.

Are you kidding? Walden was supposed to be the first kid drafted out of high school this year. Today was a bust for him don't you think?

Care to explain why?
I would like to congratulate all the D-BAT former and current players that were drafted today.

Clayton Kershaw 1st
Brad Furnish 2nd
Bryce Cox 3rd
Matt Sulentic 3rd
Jordan Walden 12th

Brad and Matt came to the Academy to see me tonight. It was worth everything just to see the faces of these kids.
Last edited by KCR
Cade,

You know what is really great about all this is looking back at when these kids were younger.

The days when Clayton and his mom were so worried about getting that scholarship. Bless their sole. Now they are gonna have to worry about what garage to put what car.

That skinny lefty that Edelstein found throwing a few innings for the Ft. Worth Cats. We needed a guy to get us some innings...........now the kid is a 3rd round pick.

When Matt Sulentic couldn't even run a straight line and weighed 140lbs. soak a wet. How big of a smile do you think Chris had today when he heard the news. That kid is like his son. What's he gonna do with him gone now. Frown

I can't help but think what they are about to experience. Just think Cade, now it's long bus rides, Kool Aid and cookies for clubhouse food, playing everyday. Clayton will probably be in Ogden where I played my first minor league game. Pretty cool to think about it all.

Today stands for everything that is right in baseball. To those kids that have the talents and the work ethic to go with them, here's to a long lasting career.

And yes, I too spoke with Matt today. I couldn't help but put myself in his shoes 10 years ago today. How excited we were Cade.

10 years ago today Cade we got that same phone call............

Now we are a couple of fat, bald, old farts waiting for the next deer season so we can tell stories about when we played. Roll Eyes
quote:
Now we are a couple of fat, bald, old farts waiting for the next deer season so we can tell stories about when we played.

25 years ago for me Ken.............seems like last year! I love the draft. Knowing how excited so many kids are.......it's a great feeling.

Congratulations to you guys for helping get these kids where they only had dreamed about before. You should be proud of yourselves for being so selfless!!

Thanks for the post.
Last edited by Old Pitcher
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:

Today stands for everything that is right in baseball. To those kids that have the talents and the work ethic to go with them, here's to a long lasting career.

Great perspective for those of us new to the progress. Thanks for sharing.

quote:
Jonathan Edwards
Keller HS
#436 to STL

Congratulations to a great ballplayer!

...And a great young man!

Way to go, Jonathan! I'll never forget the first time I saw you play....Arc Park, you crushed two out of deep center, over the scoreboard, and deep into the parking lot. Followed by two triples (one would have been an in the park homerun, but your coach held you up at third) and they kept pitching to you. And you were only in the 7th grade!

I'm so happy for you and all the draftees and their families. Looks like the sacrifices are extremely worthwhile!
I've got a pretty good idea why Walden went in the 12th round.......GRADES! Not for sure. But that is my educated guess with the information i have recieved.
There was also an article in the Star-Telegram that had some comments from Walden and this:

"Walden said he turned down an offer of $500,000
from a team that wanted to pick him in the third round. Walden, who has signed with the University of Texas, said the New York Yankees told him they were going to draft him and offer him second-round money to sign."
Quick Draw if your right on the paper article on JW and the Yankees comments then Walden let his "ego" get in the way of his career.

Why not take 700k (2nd round $) and take your chances why your healthy???? JW...what happens if injury sets in at UT? I guess the 500k or 700k would have looked pretty good. I heard his FB ranged from 88-99 most of the season. Not sure which Walden was showing up. The days I saw him pitch he was ranging from 90-93.

But then again.....UT is GREAT BASEBALL!!!

Good Luck Jordan ....I would have taken the $$$.
From the Ft. Worth Star Telegram.....

Walden said he turned down an offer of $500,000 from a team that wanted to pick him in the third round. Walden, who has signed with the University of Texas, said the New York Yankees told him they were going to draft him and offer him second-round money to sign.

"I didn't think I'd fall that far," Walden said. "If the Angels can work something out with me, I'll go play pro ball. If not, I'll go to Texas."

I would advise any player to reword this quote to something more like this.......

I feel fortunate that the Angels selected me. I look forward to the opportunity to play with their organization. Hopefully, WE can get a deal worked out soon.

Baseball America had Mr. Walden as their #1 High School prospect 3 months ago. Unfortunately things didn't work out like I'm sure he and his family hoped for. Sometimes something like this serves as a wake up call and a player can turn what is percieved as a negitive into a positive.

My favorite player description on the www.mlb.com was Matt Sulentic.

Something about his character was off the charts. I wonder how a venue such as AC measures character? Wink
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
quote:
Originally posted by Diablo con Huevos:
I am not saying that JW will not sign, or get something worked out... just saying if he does NOT sign, don't look for him in Austin... maybe Corsicana???

Well, Navarro is a likely choice, but then again there were plenty of "can't miss" prospects that were not selected out of there on the first day too.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.