Skip to main content

I was asked how to determine whether a drafted player should go pro or take the collegiate route. Here's my response...

Set aside the qualitative factors, and let's focus on the quantitative...

1. Unless he's a top 20 out of College X, he will receive less money out of college vs. HS.
  2. You'll need to quantify the average yearly earnings from an X degree from College X. With that information, here are the variables:
    1. Size of net signing bonus (taking into account agency fees, taxes, etc.): X
    2. Average yearly earnings from an X degree: Ya where a represent the year when the earnings took place, i.e., earnings in year 1 will be far less than earnings in year 15.
    3. Cost of living as a pro: Z
    4. Assume 35 years of working productivity out there in the harsh, cruel world.

Goes pro out of HS or College, goes to majors: no analysis. He's good.

Goes pro out of HS, spends 5 years in minors and does not make majors, retires, goes to work:
X - Z + Ya where a=35-(5+3) + ((X - Z x % return on investment over 35 years) 

• In other words, he has 5 less years of working world revenue because he spent those five years in the minors, and he needed to use 3 more years to complete his degree. That 3 could vary, e.g., you could assume that he works to get his degree while in the minors. That's a real rarity. Drew Storen tried to finish his degree from Stanford while playing, but proved too difficult.
  • Why 5 for minors? On average, a club will give a draftee about 5 years to make it, and then they will pull the plug. Put in your own variable, but I think 5 is safe for this model.
  • It's important to calculate the future rate of return on that which he socks away upon receipt. Since he'll have it from the very beginning of the 35 year period, the FV is based on 35 years and some assumption of a % return on investment.

Goes pro out of College X, spends 3 years in the minors and does not make the majors, retires, goes to work:
X - Z + Ya where a=35-(3) + ((X - Z x % return on investment over 35 - 3 or 4 years) 

• He's got 3 years in the minors to make it out of college, then after that, it is tenuous. You could argue this number, so feel free to insert what you see fit.
  • The number of years for that which he socks away is obviously less that out of HS, as he loses 3 or 4 years of investment earnings because he's at College X.

I think you'll find that the differential is somewhere between 350K and 575K, i.e., anything greater than this differential means you go after HS.

Note: if there's a job awaiting from Goldman Sachs (or similar), then it's a no-brainer. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Before I retired from being a financial planner, this was the kind of analysis I did and advised my 2010 son on when he was drafted out of HS.  I came up with numbers and conclusions very similar.  One factor I had that's not here is the amount/value of the paid educational benefit that's typically in an Milb contract and looking at scenarios where the player never exercises the benefit (which is all ready accounted for here) and when the player does exercise the benefit taking 4 years of education after his Milb carrier that is 100% paid for.

PS:  and as mentioned, taxes can be a big factor in looking to for a number.

Last edited by Truman

Also not in the equation is the experience of college. You can only be a college student once in your lifetime and the experience should not be discounted. Also playing for a winning program and going through conference tournaments, Regionals and for the few lucky ones, a CWS experience is hard to put a price tag on. 

It's just such a personal decision, it's impossible to quantify because each person will weigh each variable differently.

Its a decision which chooses one path and burns the other path - sure, you can go to college at any age (I did as an older student), but going to play baseball in college is not possible. And college baseball is likely the last time a kid will play for a team he will care about for the rest of his life.

Most of my son's peers who were drafted out of HS didn't make MLB (7 - 9 years now), some are still chasing the dream, most are done. Of those done, most have tried to go to school; none so far have graduated; one kid actually got his degree while his was playing.

But, I don't know if the decision can be boiled down to economics.  Having gone through the decision once, in hindsight trying to come up with an economic rationale was not the right approach (though that was how we rationalized the - correct for us - decision). I don't know what is - probably because the decision is so personal and individual - but its somewhat analogous to a decision of high academic or baseball power school. You are giving up a lot, to gain what IMO, isn't very much of a head start.

In college, injuries cut players potential short more often then bad coaching. Bad coaching or a low visibility program may impact draft round, but if a kid has the chops, he will be found and advance in proball. In the overwhelming majority of cases, if a kid isn't pro material out of college, the kid really wasn't pro material out of HS.

(Continuing my unabashed promotion of the Ivy schools and Stanford [d1 only talking], graduates do actually go to Goldman and its peers on a regular basis.)

Consultant posted:

You have not configured "Uncle Sam" and the agents and the future of Wall Street.

Bob

Taxes are a distinct variable based on investment strategies and situation. And to refer to it as a variable is an understatement.

Future of WS: it's consistent regardless of the strategy, i.e., it doesn't vary by strategy as it is an outside factor that hits any strategy in the same manner.

Truman posted:

Before I retired from being a financial planner, this was the kind of analysis I did and advised my 2010 son on when he was drafted out of HS.  I came up with numbers and conclusions very similar.  One factor I had that's not here is the amount/value of the paid educational benefit that's typically in an Milb contract and looking at scenarios where the player never exercises the benefit (which is all ready accounted for here) and when the player does exercise the benefit taking 4 years of education after his Milb carrier that is 100% paid for.

PS:  and as mentioned, taxes can be a big factor in looking to for a number.

You're right! That's a benefit that needs to be worked into the model!

BOF posted:

Also not in the equation is the experience of college. You can only be a college student once in your lifetime and the experience should not be discounted. Also playing for a winning program and going through conference tournaments, Regionals and for the few lucky ones, a CWS experience is hard to put a price tag on. 

$2MM or the chance to experience regionals+. That's part of the qualitative variables that are NOT a part of this quantitative analysis.

Modeling out allows you to quantify the cost of taking the chance to attend regionals vs. taking the money. A gross bonus of $2MM is over $15MM after 35 years. So you have to ask is it worthwhile to give up $15MM at the age of 55 for the chance to go to a regional?

Modeling future returns prevents blind decision making.

Goosegg posted:

But, I don't know if the decision can be boiled down to economics.  Having gone through the decision once, in hindsight trying to come up with an economic rationale was not the right approach (though that was how we rationalized the - correct for us - decision). 

(Continuing my unabashed promotion of the Ivy schools and Stanford [d1 only talking], graduates do actually go to Goldman and its peers on a regular basis.)

1) It's not strictly an economic decision, but you better have those quantitative answers at hand so that you can make a well-rounded decision.

2) No doubt. And you may even become the CEO of a presidential campaign.

Most college ball players dont experience Regionals. Not every program makes it there in a four year window. So I would not put Regionals into that equation. Also, not all players drafted in the first two rounds make it to the MLB. The only thing that is constant is the need to keep earning income. 

The bonus money in the first one and a half rounds of the draft is hard to replace, so I would not consider the draft out of high school unless we were sure of being selected in that window.  Hard to tell a kid and his family to turn down that money when the parents are only making 50k-60k per year. 

A few years ago a friend was facing the same quandry with his son entering the NBA draft right out of high school. He wanted the college life and all that goes with playing ball at the college level but the money was tough to turn down. Like baseball a significant number of first rounders wash out in basketball ( see Greg Oden and other college players of the year ) for various reasons.  Most  players are not scheduled to attend The Ivy League  or Stanford type academic school that would insure that upon graduation they would get high paying jobs.

Lots of factors go into making that decision. The gamble to chase the dream is a big one. Why not mitigate the risk with a nice big fat first round bonus check?  Or,  enjoy playing in college and the entire college experience and get a degree that will pay off the rest of your life. Tough decision either way.

My advice for my friends kid was not taken and he went to college and went on to play in the Final Four. A tremendous experience only had by a few. He graduated from school and went undrafted. Has bounced around and is still chasing the dream. 

Let's look at this from another angle. 

First, assume a player is not a "can't miss" 1st or 2nd round selection. (Those players have a chance to rocket through the system, and are handled a bit differently by organizations, when compared to most later picks.)

Compare the rest of the HS picks career trajectories to the highly drafted college junior.

Draft year (year 1): HS (18 yrs) player drafted and heads to complex ball; college player plays local ball in his summer before college.

Year 2: HS player (19) reports to ST, and is assigned to . . . complex ball;  college player as a fr gets some playing time and then heads off to Summer ball.

Year 3: HS (20) player has played in instructs during the fall and reports to ST. Gets assigned to SS - play begins in June. College player (now a rising junior) got significant season playing time and now off to Cape or Northwoods (where the feeding frenzy begins).

Year 4: HS player (21) heads off, most likely to SS though a few - if successful and having caught the eye of management - may head to full lesson low A. College player (now a junior) burnishes stats and is drafted. Assigned to SS (particularly true of pitchers who were ridden into the ground), then to instructs.

Year 5: HS player (22) to high A. College player low A with chance to be promoted to high A sometime during season.

From a career perspective (assume the players are equal in potential and current level): HS player is one level ahead, and has pocketed and begun using his bonus money (or mom and dad are paying the upkeep) for 5 years. Has no education but the right to draw upon the MLB college money at some defined point in the future - and which money is fully taxable (thereby diminishing its true value), while college costs has gone up (at least five years of increases, maybe more, further diminishes the MLB scholarship value). Gave up his last chance to be on a real baseball team which plays as a team to live alone in a world which treats him as a piece of meat.

The college player has two seasons of summer collegiate ball (combining the college season and summer leagues provide many with a free taste of the incredible grind of  proball; some don't like it); three seasons of being a "big man on campus", three years (for many, however, two years) of college credits, and three years of growth opportunity in the "half-way house" of college living (on your own, but not quite). The MLB scholarship fund is still available (though for only one year and the player will be short of credits and need to self-fund the shortage; but the MLB scholarship amount will be more to cover those increased college costs).

Certain scenarios are very suseptible to mathematic type analysis, such as which mortgage to take.  Here the money becomes a minor element - only in the fewest of cases of huge bonuses does it rise above that (IMO) - the other variables (maturity, desire, options foreclosed, etc) cannot be quantified but are far more important in trying to parse the future.

Pro ball is a life style choice; the players in those first years are meat, every day is stressful, it is lonely, it is dull and intellectually lifeless, players have no safety net, no escape, no identity except baseball, ruminating about that last bad start.  Please show me an equation which peers into the future and quantifies that. (Just reading this board demonstrates the incredible jump from HS to college and the bumps and dips experienced by great HS players; it is orders of magnitude more difficult in the HS to proball jump.)

Parhaps, a better question would be: will I make it to MLB if drafted out of HS and not make it if I wait and get drafted out of college. Those different results are stark. The issue should not be will I get a shot at proball; rather will I make it all the way? (Sort of like, if a kid should apply ED rather than RD because ED provides a tangible advantage.) 

In hindsight, I look at my economic analysis as done more for me, than for my son.  It was a framework to try to work through an issue which has so many facets that we needed to start somewhere. But, (jmo) the intangibles make any analysis based upon economics seem unreasonably exact and scientific.  I knew none of this while we went through it - I had no clue what HS draftees went though and what they gave up.

I have heard it said, and believe it, that a paycheck is a source of dissatisfaction, not satisfaction. In other words, if you don't like what you're doing, money doesn't make you enjoy it. A million dollar bonus is not going to make a kid mature who wasn't (think Matt Bush and his first spring training), is not going to make a kid use his mind by reading a book while everyone else are telling lies and swapping stories, is not going to make him happy because he has a fat bank account managed by a skilled asset manager. This life decision - and it is a life decision which absolutely forecloses options - cannot be boiled down to dollars and cents.

(Keep this in mind: the player needs to play a certain period of time to (a) not be forced to repay a portion of his bonus and (b) to be eligible for the MLB scholarship money. I know of many kids who - for personal reasons - quit before the time and forfeited all.)

Last edited by Goosegg

I know someone who was drafted in the 3rd round.  Turned it down and had offers from every top program in the country.  Played 3 years and was drafted in the 2nd round.  He said that he was glad he did that for the experience and the maturity.  He said that if he would have been starting in the minors as an 18 year old he would have had a different mentality.  It also helped playing for team USA and all that experience.  He now is on a MLB roster for the past 3 years.  Last year the whole season. 

joemktg posted:
BOF posted:

$2MM or the chance to experience regionals+. That's part of the qualitative variables that are NOT a part of this quantitative analysis.

Modeling out allows you to quantify the cost of taking the chance to attend regionals vs. taking the money. A gross bonus of $2MM is over $15MM after 35 years. So you have to ask is it worthwhile to give up $15MM at the age of 55 for the chance to go to a regional?

Modeling future returns prevents blind decision making.

I think the concept of having $15MM socked away 35 years down the line is not the best approach in making this decision.  For one thing, that $15MM will be worth a whole lot less than $15MM today.  Besides, any kid who gets a $2MM bonus is probably not going to simply set it aside and not touch a dime.  Not saying it gets blown, but a little nicer car (maybe a 2015 F150 instead of a 2005 Civic) and some nicer accommodations (maybe only 1 roommate instead of 3) early on and maybe some larger chunks later in life (maybe funds their kid's college tuition).  What I also don't see much of is the cost of attending college (cannot simply assume parents pick up the 50%+ not getting paid for with scholarship).  

I think this type of decision could benefit from some analysis at various time horizons and with some different outcomes.  The math is not that different, just need to put together each year's cash flows and get some ideas of how things look in year #3 (when you could potentially be draft eligible again or have 3 years MiLB experience), and then maybe years #5, #8 and #10 to really get some of the major milestones into the analysis.  Injury in college, and how the college responds when a player is injured, could have huge impacts on the analysis (for instance, non-baseball injury before arriving on campus and scholarship gets cut after freshman year).  Need some way to insert a level of uncertainty into future years - the further you go out the more uncertainty.

I've got a hypothetical figure in mind (unfortunately not going to happen) that I keep tossing around based on some prior posts here.  The number changes occassionally, but I can tell you there are many large and many small reasons that go into the calculation and the purely quantitative portion is probably around 25% of the overall calculation.  I think one of the biggest factors - that has been stressed on this board - is whether the kid is going keep at it and give 110% for the next 2-3 years just to get a sniff at the next level and enjoy the wonderful bus rides and dinners at 7-11.  Another big factor is whether the kid is even mature enough to last those 2-3 years and still be as good of a person if he were to fail.  A bank account with $100k+ and an unhappy, unemployed person is often not a good combination.  I would argue that there can be a downside to the decision and that it is not all simply on the upside.

The trouble with the stats showing the percentage of draftees making it to mlb, is the result is binary for each individual. This isn't like applying to a dozen schools in the hopes that you'll get in to one; you either make it or not and cannot bail to another employer until that initial contract is over.

For some, its a great  decison to sign out of HS, for others it would be a poor and life altering moment.

Over the years, my thinking on this has become much less purely analytical and more based upon the individual player, his academic potential, his collegiate options, his maturity, his flaws and weaknesses (i.e., is he going to ne in an emvironment which accentuates his weaknesses), and his strengths. No one size or analysis fits every player. 

But, the  framework we are teasing out is worthwhile because its makes you focus on each issue and weigh it accordingly.

Dominik85 posted:

if you are a 9th rounder it would probably be smart to go to college because the Odds are stacked against you but I can still understand People chase their dream.

I suppose this is when someone points out the exceptions.  Such as:  Scooter Gennett.  Only 5'10", not a projectable body, not enough arm strength to stick at SS (which he played in high school), drafted in the 16th Round.   Decided to go pro, and has played 4 years of MLB so far.   Yep, yep I know, for every Scooter Gennett type there are a few hundred players who don't make it.  

That is why they call it "chasing your dreams".   It isn't "chasing a sure thing"

Goosegg posted:

The trouble with the stats showing the percentage of draftees making it to mlb, is the result is binary for each individual. This isn't like applying to a dozen schools in the hopes that you'll get in to one; you either make it or not and cannot bail to another employer until that initial contract is over.

For some, its a great  decison to sign out of HS, for others it would be a poor and life altering moment.

Over the years, my thinking on this has become much less purely analytical and more based upon the individual player, his academic potential, his collegiate options, his maturity, his flaws and weaknesses (i.e., is he going to ne in an emvironment which accentuates his weaknesses), and his strengths. No one size or analysis fits every player. 

But, the  framework we are teasing out is worthwhile because its makes you focus on each issue and weigh it accordingly.

I agree completely.     

And I would simply point out that good financial planning takes these kinds of things into account.  It isn't just about the numbers.

Last edited by Truman

I think there are many kids that realize that college is not for them and get drafted in late rounds and forego college. I wouldnt suggest it, but college isnt for everyone. Many never graduate from college,not because they are ballplayer but because of many other reasons. For that reason I have to agree with Goosegg. The decision has many diferent variable and should be approached individually. Lots of factors that must be included in that very difficult decision. 

Good discussion,  keep the thread going..... my biggest issue is when College X is a very top top program.  2018 is committed to Vandy.... not your run of the mill program ....  Where most players get drafted after 3 years... Some for the same  money than they would have gotten if they had gone out of high school and some less, some even more.

Playing in college and taking the risk of getting hurt?  Playing in college and maturing and getting better then starting out in the minors at a higher level?   Taking the money and no matter what happens you can go back to college...... 

hard to turn down a million to get the chance to play in a regional.  keep in mind that while the minors are a grind, for some its not.... they love it....

bacdorslider posted:

2018 is committed to Vandy.... not your run of the mill program ....   

Yeah that would make the decision tougher.   Vanderbilt is a special place, for sure.

My 2021 is a long ways off before we'll know if he even plays Baseball beyond age 18, right now we're just getting him ready for High School ball, however he was joking around yesterday that if he had a choice between Minor League ball and playing for the U of Hawaii (his dream place right now) he said "I'd probably have to tell the pros to wait 3-4 years because I'm going to Hawaii!"

I don't think he fully grasps yet how much school work he'd have to do at Hawaii, he's just looking at the beaches, the views, the women, the weather etc

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
Dominik85 posted:

It also depends on how strong you are academically. Education is extremely important but not everyone is made for college.

so if you are a 5th rounder that only gets 250K but you don't like School and you are not the smartest guy out there it still might be a good decision for you to go pro.

I think this scenario is not fully appreciated.  When the OP talks about "yearly earnings", there can be a very wide gap in that figure which, if taken at face value, could result in a huge range of values.  Some kid who truly wants to go into coaching is going to come up with a number that is drastically different from some kid who is angling for a job at Goldman Sachs (to further leverage his parents/grandparents working relationships lets assume).  Some kid who simply wants to coach will have a pretty easy time getting the necessary degree to perhaps receive his teacher's license and whatever stint he has in the MiLB will only add to his resume.  That might not be the case for the other kid.  I guess I would even back away from using the "life changing" test for bonus money as there will be a few players where going pro is simply a path that makes the most sense.  If a kid doesn't hate academics and can get into a place like Vanderbilt, the figure to sway him to turn pro should be quite large.  If the kid hates school and snuck into State U with poor grades and will always be borderline eligible, that figure won't be as high.  Met a friend in college that had just gotten out of the Navy - he was making all A's, but swore that he would have failed out if he had gone to college directly out of high school.  

Some readers of this topic may be missing an important element:

For the most part, a HS player (especially position players) will NOT improve their draft status when going to college. In other words, they will go backwards in the draft relative to their draft position out of HS. 

This is true for many Juniors coming out, and even more so for Seniors coming out.

There are exceptions, but for the majority this is the case.

3and2Fastball posted:
Dominik85 posted:

if you are a 9th rounder it would probably be smart to go to college because the Odds are stacked against you but I can still understand People chase their dream.

I suppose this is when someone points out the exceptions.  Such as:  Scooter Gennett.  Only 5'10", not a projectable body, not enough arm strength to stick at SS (which he played in high school), drafted in the 16th Round.   Decided to go pro, and has played 4 years of MLB so far.   Yep, yep I know, for every Scooter Gennett type there are a few hundred players who don't make it.  

That is why they call it "chasing your dreams".   It isn't "chasing a sure thing"

it depends on the life you want to gamble on if you don't make it. if you are just dumb, won't grad college, probably won't be a high level earner...the shot may be worth it.

if you have true potential in the work place or an entrepreneurial spirit going direct to pros might be a terrible financial choice based on the long shot.

joemktg posted:

Some readers of this topic may be missing an important element:

For the most part, a HS player (especially position players) will NOT improve their draft status when going to college. In other words, they will go backwards in the draft relative to their draft position out of HS. 

This is true for many Juniors coming out, and even more so for Seniors coming out.

There are exceptions, but for the majority this is the case.

One of the big issues on draft status is "signability".  If the player is viewed as being not very "signable", then the player will be drafted (if at all) far back from where he would have been had he clearly been "signable."    Then, when he goes on to college, he'll likely improve his position in the draft and often by quite a bit.    But in terms of his draft position if he is fully signable out of HS, yes . . . almost always the player will go backwards in their draft position going to college (with some exceptions, not necessarily backwards in terms of signing bonus).

bacdorslider posted:

signability ..... if there's enough money I think most are signable.   I still have a lot to learn about this draft stuff but for 2018 being RHP and his current projection, it would take a lot to pull him away from Vanderbilt.  Not saying it could not be done.  

So what make you signable or not signable

Signability is in the eye of the beholder.  Using a generic 2017 as an example.  Let's assume the family has a number in mind - $500k, but perhaps a little less if chosen by a select group of teams (maybe 2-3 dream teams).  If he is clearly not a top 200 draft prospect in real, absolute terms, then he is probably not signable because no team is probably going to want to spend $500k - AND - they are not going to draft him later in hopes of offering up $300k (assume he is heading to a Top 20 program and family finances are not pinched).  Conversely, if he has a lower number in mind - $250k - and he is a top 200 prospect and committed to a lower tier school and doesn't have a burning desire to attend college, then he is probably very signable.  A very good case study from last year was Jason Groome who was considered a tough sign once he fell out of the top 5 - he had a number around $5MM if I remember correctly thinking he was going in the top 3, if not #1.  Lined up a JUCO so he could return in 2017 if he didn't get the number he wanted.  Some aspect of signability is how the family postures itself.  Sort of a cat and mouse game where you don't want to bid against yourself (i.e. let it slip that you'll take less than they were thinking about offering) but you don't want to come off as standoffish and rigid.  I guess this is where a good advisor/agent comes in handy as they can offer up their best guess as to where the break point is.

Some very interesting signability issues in the 8-10 rounds.  Some club needing to save bonus dollars will start calling some 20-40 round guys and offering up a top 10 round pick if they sign for peanuts.  In other words, is this senior college pitcher signable for $10k if he gets bragging rights a a 9th round pick.

bacdorslider posted:

signability ..... if there's enough money I think most are signable.   I still have a lot to learn about this draft stuff but for 2018 being RHP and his current projection, it would take a lot to pull him away from Vanderbilt.  Not saying it could not be done.  

So what make you signable or not signable

Good question and one that's really difficult to put a finger on for anyone, including the drafting organizations.  Factors include: the perceived commitment to a college program, amount of scholarship that is being offered, where a player is ranked for draft, how high a number the player might be asking for to not go to college, the players interest in a particular BB organization, etc.    I'm sure there's more if I give it a little more thought. 

If your 2018 has a high interest in Vanderbilt and it'd take "a lot to pull him away", then his signability goes WAY down.   It was the same kind of thing for my 2010 that pulled him way back to the late rounds (a very common result).

Last edited by Truman
Dominik85 posted:

in the last years signability clearly seemed to be less of an issue almost all top 3 round players have signed in the last years. a top 30 talent almost always is drafted 

With the new draft rules, this seems to be because the organizations are making sure those they're looking at for those first three rounds are sure to sign (having a very high signability factor).

3and2Fastball posted:
bacdorslider posted:

2018 is committed to Vandy.... not your run of the mill program ....   

Yeah that would make the decision tougher.   Vanderbilt is a special place, for sure.

My 2021 is a long ways off before we'll know if he even plays Baseball beyond age 18, right now we're just getting him ready for High School ball, however he was joking around yesterday that if he had a choice between Minor League ball and playing for the U of Hawaii (his dream place right now) he said "I'd probably have to tell the pros to wait 3-4 years because I'm going to Hawaii!"

I don't think he fully grasps yet how much school work he'd have to do at Hawaii, he's just looking at the beaches, the views, the women, the weather etc

There are players at Hawaii now who don't fully grasp it either.

Interesting topic.  College vs draft is a personal decision, the way the draft has changed, yes most players drafted in the first 3 rounds probably were so because they really wanted to become professionals and more than likely got what they wanted.  The most money will always go to HS players and more than likely their commitment was to a power 5 program. In fact that decision was made to sign at these type of programs so that they could posture themselves for a better chance to receive a better slot and more money to lure them away from attending school.

However, because this opportunity happens every year to just a very few handful of  HS players, that I am not sure why it's discussed as often as it is every year.  Chances are most of your sons will NOT get that opportunity because they just are not as talented or mature so attending college is a better option.

It's pretty easy to figure out why receiving an offer of 500K vs Vandy to sign out of HS is not as good as a decision as  receiving an offer of 2M vs Vandy out of HS.  Statistics prove Vandy players will draft better after 3 years at that program.  

Son had the opportunity to attend a great program and get drafted. He certainly would tell you that college at a power 5 program shouldn't be missed, but for 2M probably definitely miss it.

Seriously folks, make sure that your player does well in school above all else because that will open more doors than being the best player in his draft class because choices give you the power.  

Last edited by TPM

Backdoorslider, TPM and others have made some great points. My son was in a similar spot with theirs. He had committed to LSU and was getting a lot of pro interest leading up to the 2015 draft. We had in home visits with multiple teams. Son and I talked about what it would take to buy him out of LSU. I knew deep down inside the number was a stretch, but I agreed with him. Selfishly, I didn't want my son going pro out of HS. I felt it was better to go to school and mature in his case, but I agree that each situation is unique. Son was sort of a late bloomer as far as attention goes. We live in rural USA and he just hadn't gotten the exposure. 

What is important is to not get caught up in all the attention. It's human nature to let your head swell and puff your chest out when MLB teams are sitting in your living room and coming to HS games to watch your kid. Most of us are pretty humble people and try to keep a low profile, but it still takes a toll on you mentally. 

Signability is a big issue that you don't realize until you have gone through the process. A power 5 school can certainly help your draft status as it validates your ability, but I also think it can hurt your draft status as pro teams may realize it will take more $ to lure you away from that school. In the end, your son has to decide which is more important, college or pro. My son just felt like playing in front of 12,000 fans, traveling by charter jet and a good chance to make it to Omaha outweighed riding a bus from town to town playing for peanuts in front of 100 fans at 18/19/20 years old. Obviously he will have that experience that if he plays beyond college.  It was just gonna take a pile of money for him to skip the college experience and I couldn't have agreed more. A year and a half in, even with his injury, he has never regretted his decision. I wonder what would have happened had he signed out of HS and immediately required TJ?  Would the pro guys have been as patient?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.