Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Makes sense. The clubs have to make an offer to keep their rights but if they only selected a player as an organizational player and decide later that they don't need him they can skip making an offer. The player becomes a free agent but then so are all those players who are eligible but weren't drafted.
the drafting club has 15 days to submit a written or standard minor league contract of $850 a month or the player becomes a free agent.

The only time it happened 1996 Bobby Seay right were given up by the white sox and was declared a free agent and went on the open market.

MLB found out 20 other players same thing happened. Only 5 actually became free agents.

But Matt White got $10.2 million on the open market and Travis Lee $10 million.
What is the advantage to a team of NOT drafting a player, and then signing him later as a free agent? I'm hearing about this happening quite a bit today - kids who sat glued to the radio hoping to hear their name, being totally disappointed, then being solicited to sign a free agent contract.
As someone once said, learning day by day on the HSBW!!!
Hacker, some do and some don't. It is part of the contract negotiation. MLB does have a program to pay an amount negotiated betweeen the club and player for college. It also provides the player must begin college with 2 years,I believe, of the time their professional baseball career ends. Last I read, only about 8% of the players with this scholarship protection in their contract actually take advantage of the program.
It is totally negotiable. Infieldad is correct. Once you start school the clock starts ticking. You have to go 8 straight quarters if you stop you lose the money. If you are taking classes in the fall while you play, the clock starts ticking. The only reprieve is if you are assigned in the fall to a fall league or playing in an overseas league.
quote:
Originally posted by twoseamer:
quote:
Originally posted by Dibble:
the drafting club has 15 days to submit a written or standard minor league contract of $850 a month or the player becomes a free agent.

How does it work for players that are drafted to be Draft And Follow? Is there specific agreement made between the club and player for DNF?

Hello Neighbor,
Here is an article that might help

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.