Skip to main content

College starts back in three weeks. Kids who were committed and signed are backing out at the last minute... Four local examples:

1. Found out there would be 8 players at his position at the local D2. Making the last minute switch to JUCO.

2. Unexplained.... same local D2. Hasn't gone to orientation. Hasn't gone for advising. Hasn't done anything even though he signed in the Spring. Apparently doesn't want to go to college.

3. Last minute financial issues, now not going.

4. Kid committed to a private, final cost was too high, backed out. Now going to JUCO, but hasn't signed??? Maybe walking on, may stay home and go to local CC as student.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

On the flip side, another local kid has decided not to return for his sophomore season at a very nice D2 program. Kid was a very good high school and legion player. Planning to go to the local CC for a year, and then transfer on to another four year college and just be a regular college student.

The word I received was that it was all baseball all the time and he didn't like that part of it. There was no time to be a regular college student as baseball took up all of his time.

I'm guessing there will be a couple more locals that I'll eventually hear about that won't return for their sophomore year.

Two local kids are transferring out of D1's. One was at a major D1 and is transferring after his sophomore season to a top D2. The other was at a small D1 and received little playing time. He is transferring to a middle of the road D2 where he expects to play a lot.

Stafford,

The real story is that many get to college and find out how hard it is to be a student athlete.

Baseball takes up a lot of time,  so does going to class and studying.

I believe those that back out didnt realize what it would be like when they signed or committed in the first place.

Its not for everyone.

These are recruiting failures by the players involved.  They simply failed to do their homework before choosing their initial school.

Life allows mulligans, thankfully, but they aren't easy.  It's a lot easier if you do your due diligence before you commit in the first place.

The one that bugs me the most is the player getting upset because his team has 8 guys at one position coming in.  That means nothing.  Where someone played in the past may have very little relation to where they'll play in the future. 

My educated guess was that we're talking about shortstops, by the way, because that's the only position where this would make sense at all.  There's actually room for 8 pitchers in a class, and no one would ever recruit 8 of any other position.

Many college coaches work on the theory that the best athlete on a lot of HS teams is plugged in at SS.  That may help him become a college player but it doesn't mean he's a college SS, or that SS is his best natural position.  The world is full of converted SS's.  Buster Posey, Willie Mays, Mark Reynolds, Ryan Zimmerman, Matt Williams, Troy Glauss, and literally thousands of others stayed at SS through HS or into college but made the move elsewhere at some point.

A kid who has played SS needs to ask the question -- if it's important to him -- do you think I'm a SS or do you see me moving?

Answers could sound like any of these:

You will get a chance to compete for playing time at SS.  You'll have to win that competition to stick there.  (B.J. Upton)

First, you have to hit well enough to get into the lineup.  The fact that you might be able to crack the lineup at other positions works in your favor.  If you are our best SS, you'll play SS.  If not, keep your mind open about other opportunities, at least initially if not permanently.  (Phil Gosselin comes to mind)

We like you defensively but we're not sure you're fast enough to play SS at this level.  We'll get you working with a speed coach but it's possible you may have to move to another position.  (Ryan Zimmerman)

We see you building up your size to where you're more of a corner guy and a power bat in the middle of our order.  (Reynolds, Williams, Glauss)

You may well be our best SS, but honestly we think you're a game changer in the outfield and we'd like you to consider moving there.  (Mays)  Or maybe to catcher even.  (Posey)

Last edited by Midlo Dad

yeah it happens at all schools... you want to play D1 you and friends talk about playing D1

but when you are on 'D'-bench its time to get out of there...  

All the kids are ball players who want to play but with 9 spots on the field its not easy.

Like my son who in HS was three deep waiting to play 3rd moved over to 2nd. and was on the field and at bat in the #2 hole..

Look at the D1 roster and you see 3 deep at your position then you know what type of chance you have of getting on the field...

dont play 'D-bench'  you got skills..

Last edited by jlaro

Midlo reminds me of taking my high school kid to a college practice last fall so he could watch.  They had 3-4 kids at each spot and were taking a vigorous round of infield.  I know the head coach who came over after a while to say hi and asked me what I thought.  I told him his 2B and 3B looked pretty weak and he said 'yeah I know, the 3 kids at SS will be my infield but I haven't figured out which one will be the SS yet.'

Unfortunately kids an parents don't do the research about teams an rosters.  Kids go to schools with blinders on thinking because their in the roster their playing.  Baseball is business, coaches are always looking for upgrades at "every position".  Last season my son transferred from JUCO to D-1 school.  There were six other JUCO's that came in.  The team won their conference for the first time in school history and made to super regional.  This year six more new JUCO's coming.  Parents and players that have been there "paying their dues" are upset an still riding the bench.  For those reason kids transfer to other schools or stop playing ball altogether.

My advice to parents an players is go to a school were are going to play, not projected to play in a year or two, because you never know who going to show up in the fall.  Example:  Last season senior catcher graduated, returning are a junior and sophomore who thinking they are going to compete for the starting position, little do they know about a catcher from PR coming in three weeks to be starting catcher this year.      

Coaches are always looking to upgrade if what they brought in doesnt pan out. 
I have athing about players leaving because they think too many showed up.
I will bet they were the same kids whose parents joined another team because their player sat. 
Reality is that player really never learned to compete for his position.
My son's team had 16 pitchers last year. We lost one and are bringing in 3 more JC transfer pitchers. And it's not like we were bad last year. Had the lowest ERA in the conference. The competition never ends. Better be ready to earn your keep.

My son had a good year last year. He was the top conference reliever after our closer and had a 2.63 ERA with 41 innings pitched. Coach told him in exit interview, if you come back the same, you've gone backwards. Every year brings a new crop of guys that want your spot. As long as you play, it will always be that way. Nothing is a given and you will have to keep getting better or someone will be there to step into your shoes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.