Skip to main content

FC 3 vs. Hickory 2

Menchville 2 vs. Great Bridge 1

FC vs. Menchville at 6:00 @ Old Dominion

Congratulations to both teams on making it to states!
"When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stone-cutter hammering away at his rock perhaps 100 times without as much as a crack showing. Yet at the 101st blow, it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before." mtownfan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2 good games last nite but i would like to see some of the purple and gold patriots' fans take a chill pill and not berate opposing players like they were doing last nite. watkins was very impressive in relief. infield defense was solid for mhs too. lenda was brilliant on the mound. he pitched his guts out. good luck to both patriots in the next round.
Mr C, That's the way they are on the Peninsula. They have always been rowdy classless fans. I'm not sure if they forget that they are high school kids out there or they don't care. My personal belief is the latter. Regardless of the fans, Menchville is a darn good team. There aren't may years that the Peninsula can compete in the regionals.
Last edited by doc
Wasn't there last night, but I noticed some of the same things at the kellam game as far as heckling from the Menchville fans (BTW they are the Monarchs, not the Patriots...despite what the Pilot said. Denbigh, which FC beat in the quarters, is the Patriots). What bothered me more than their fans, were some of their players actually yelling at Kellam fans in the stands. Obviously their coach doesn't dicipline his kids the way my son's coach does...Agree that Watkins is impressive, but I think it may be time to mandate certain rest periods based on pitch counts. I'm sure ODU probably wasn't real happy to see their recruit come in on 1 day of rest (after a complete game, 100+ pitch win)and pitch 3 more innings in relief. That, I know, is not the only instance of what many would consider abuse of a pitcher. I think it may be time to take that decision out of the coach's hand.
jbbaseball has been updating the northern bracket in a separate thread under Va. Forum. Apparently Madison got knocked off in the first round.

Haven't seen the western region but you might check out Virginiapreps.com

In the central, Freeman beat Prince George, Hanover beat Deep Run, Matoaca beat James River, and Monacan beat Varina in the quarterfinals. Tonight's semis are Freeman v. Monacan and Matoaca v. Hanover.

Both should be tough games and baseball being baseball, you can't say how it'll turn out, but if I were a betting man I'd look for Monacan and Matoaca to advance. I hear Matoaca has deeper pitching, and if that's true then they would have the leg up for the regional finale if they can get there, but tonight's games are the keys to the state tourney bids, so look for all 4 teams to shoot the works.

For my money Monacan is the region's best team when their ace (Chris Duty) is on the hill, but their other pitchers are not as dominant. So I would look for Duty and Monacan to win tonight but probably not the finale.
Chris, I agree with you 100%. I'm sorry to say that some of our high school coaches have no regard for these kids arms or should I say they are more concerned about winning championships Last year Hudson threw over 160 pitches in the state championship game than Woods came in after throwing a complete 12 K game with one day rest. I understand that Ray threw over 145 and over 125 pitches in two games this year. Ramirez never throws over 100 pitches, Conroy, Lee and Stubbe are other coaches that never over use their pitches. The good thing is that all of our high school coaches want to win championships but not all of them want to win at the expense of throwing a kids arm out.
doc- I'm not trying to single anyone out here. I know from experience how easy it is to get caught up in winning a ballgame (for both the kids and the coaches). I also know that kids are all different and that some can throw much more than others with no ill effects. That said, the vhsl should step in and create some limitations so that there is an even playing field for all teams and coaches aren't tempted to over pitch a kid "because the other team is doing it". I'm sure a panel of coaches could come up with some reasonable numbers based on pitch counts (not innings).
I know that in the Northern region it is Lake Bardock vs. Oakton. In the Northwest Region it is Osbourn vs. North Stafford.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. C:
looking forward to another good game tonite. hey, wouldnt it be nice if there were a website that showed the vhsl bracket to see who was still playing and who was getting ready to play who. anyone know if there is a site like that?
DOC: I haven't made a post in some time but I need to address yours.I have acouted a number of teams on both sides of the water and I haven't seen any difference in the fans at all.We are seen as a bunch a "snobs" by the peninsual fans and I was told that a couple of coaches from FC went to scout the Peninsula Dist tournament and very blatantly declared that the Peninsula Dist was "trailer park baseball ", which proved their theory.Well, they sure kicked our butts. Another thing is, I understand, that the pitching coach for Menchville IS WATKIN'S DAD, so the coach who let him throw that many pitches on those days was his own father. It is not understood, by many, as to why ODU even wanted this kid, what with all the attitude and the abuse of his arm from the 9th grade on.Great talent, great hitter, but there has always been a lack of discipline. With that being said, we, the Beach dist has our problems also, with players and fans alike. My point, "IF YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE DON"T THROW ROCKS " Two good teams are going to the regionals, be happy, not judgemental.
quote:
Originally posted by doc:
Redbird, what's your point? If you want to add something to the topic than say it. Your always trying to start something. I've dealt with the Peninsula teams at all levels for many years and their fans are always rowdy and very outspoken to other teams and their fans. AND THAT'S A FACT
OK, the fans/players may have gotten out of hand a bit. Competition can sometimes bring out the worst in people. But it also can bring out the best, as evidenced in the level of play in the tournament. Alot of outstanding plays made and clutch hits ! If you see enough games, it's easy to overlook alot and focus on the game on the field.
Anyway, who won ??? FC or Menchville ?
FC 7 vs. Menchville 11

Watkins hit a two run homer in the 1st.Then FC came back and had bases loaded with 0 outs and ended up scoring 7.A run scored on a wild pitch.FC still up 7-3.Then Menchville unleashed their weapons with 3 more home runs with two off Jesse Baker and 2 off Darrell Asbell total.Menchville and FC were tied 7-7 going into the top of the 7th when The catcher Carter for Mench hit a two run homerun.After the top of the 7th the score was 11-7.FC kept hitting the ball the rest of the game but never were able to score.Baserunning mistakes by FC's part took away from large potential large innings.FC was 6 outs away from a 7-3 win.Great comeback for Menchville and a tough loss for FC.

-Jesse Baker with the loss for FC.
-#1 for Mench with the victory
Last edited by In The Game
quote:
Originally posted by BEACH_DAD:
OK, the fans/players may have gotten out of hand a bit. Competition can sometimes bring out the worst in people. But it also can bring out the best, as evidenced in the level of play in the tournament. Alot of outstanding plays made and clutch hits ! If you see enough games, it's easy to overlook alot and focus on the game on the field.
Anyway, who won ??? FC or Menchville ?

Menchville
I think what he called the paper the second time was the peace of paper that was the note. Why he mentioned it who circulated it I do not know. I say let Mecnhville take care of the issue if indeed there is an issue, but there is no place for us to take care of it as we are not part of the judicial procedure (spoken as a true Social Studies teacher).
Last edited by X-Spy
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Erickson:
Menchville, really dont remember the score but I do know that they are a scraping little team. They could have quit last night, but (memories of PA last year) they just kept at it, they hit 4 or 5 homeruns in this game. Anyway good luck to both teams and FC I will be rooting for you guys.
thank you for the support we hit 4 homeruns and we won 11-7
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEACH_DAD:
Anyway, who won ??? FC or Menchville ?[/QU
Last edited by menchville bball17
quote:
Originally posted by SSBR:
DOC: I haven't made a post in some time but I need to address yours.I have acouted a number of teams on both sides of the water and I haven't seen any difference in the fans at all.We are seen as a bunch a "snobs" by the peninsual fans and I was told that a couple of coaches from FC went to scout the Peninsula Dist tournament and very blatantly declared that the Peninsula Dist was "trailer park baseball ", which proved their theory.Well, they sure kicked our butts. Another thing is, I understand, that the pitching coach for Menchville IS WATKIN'S DAD, so the coach who let him throw that many pitches on those days was his own father. It is not understood, by many, as to why ODU even wanted this kid, what with all the attitude and the abuse of his arm from the 9th grade on.Great talent, great hitter, but there has always been a lack of discipline. With that being said, we, the Beach dist has our problems also, with players and fans alike. My point, "IF YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE DON"T THROW ROCKS " Two good teams are going to the regionals, be happy, not judgemental.
quote:
Redbird, what's your point? If you want to add something to the topic than say it. Your always trying to start something. I've dealt with the Peninsula teams at all levels for many years and their fans are always rowdy and very outspoken to other teams and their fans. AND THAT'S A FACT
what does first colonial think of us now we were losing 7-2 and came bak to win 11-7 wit 4 home runs trailer park ball hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
quote:
Originally posted by menchville bball17:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEACH_DAD:
Anyway, who won ??? FC or Menchville ?[/QU
we won
quote:
Mr C, That's the way they are on the Peninsula. They have always been rowdy classless fans. I'm not sure if they forget that they are high school kids out there or they don't care. My personal belief is the latter. Regardless of the fans, Menchville is a darn good team. There aren't may years that the Peninsula can compete in the regionals.
thank u for calling us a darn good team but menchville has beento the semifinal game of the eastern region tournement for the past 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Menchville bball 17,

As an FC fan I would like to commend you guys on a great comeback. As FC fans we think that you guys are a great team, with great bats. The championship game was a great game no matter who won. Watching you guys crush homeruns was painful, but we FC fans had to respect your ability to do that. I know from listening to the coaches at FC that they do not think of you as trailer park anything, if that was said there is no way it was said by either of the two young coaches that run the team. Those young men are top notch people and would not tolerate any such actions. Nevertheless if that comment was made by any other member of the coaching staff we as FC fans apoligize.
We FC fans wish Menchville luck in the quarters on Tuesday.
Menchville: I highly doubt that the FC coaches said anything to that extent about the peninsula district. The fans from Menchville are very intpo the game which may make the game seem like it's a little out of control.But come on thats part of baseball. That was a great comeback by yall in the eastern region championship. FC was 6 outs away from putting yall away so don't get cocky just yet. Despite a few coaching errors by FC, this game was still very close. Oh and just to let you know the pitcher who started for first colonial only started 1 other game this entire year. And the second pitcher, i guess you could say, has never pitched in a high school game.That ought to make you feel like a bunch of studs.You didn't see either of first colonials top 3 pitchers. Good luck tuesday against a very strong North Stafford squad!I hope the best to you and your team. Maybe soon all of their hard work will pay off.I mean that in the most sincere manner!
Last edited by In The Game
quote:

My point is...pot meet kettle. You lump all fans into one group as classless and rowdy and then have the nerve to say I am trying to stir something up. Are you mental?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.