Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm sure the GB/Kecoughtan game would have been 34437x more entertaining with Cave on the mound...

but (i might be the only one who feels this way), but im sure as heck glad his appeal wasnt overturned. sounds like another case of a "star" athlete allowing for their head to get wayyy to big and thinking he's above the rest of the players. i wouldnt feel this way if there was no warning, but to refuse taking off a necklace and ruining your teams chances at a once and a lifetime opportunity? thats beyond selfish. hopefully he learns from this(and so do others)

that being said, i wish this kid the best and hope to see him do big things
vabaseball12 I completely agree with you on Cave. I don't care what people say, he's a senior in high school and knows he should not be wearing the necklace/jewelry. End of discussion. After seeing the way he was acting today at the tournament, I think he has learned a lot from the incident. And by no way am I trying to bad mouth Cave. I wanted to see him pitch and hit today. Potential first rounders are far and few between.
quote:
Originally posted by ohdyou:
...After seeing the way he was acting today at the tournament, I think he has learned a lot from the incident...

What??? He felt badly when it happened and feels badly now. He hasn't changed and this incident didn't bring any revelation to him.

It is unfortunate. Jake was wrong but there are many underlying issues about the ejection that I didn't even know about. IMO, both parties were wrong.
I will agree with you on the fact that both parties were wrong. I'm not sure what the underlying issues but it would make sense that this umpire was trying to trying to make a name for himself. I wasnt there when the incident happened but I heard that he didnt go peacefully. Today I saw a kid that wanted to be out there with his teammates but knew that he couldnt because of a poor decision he made. I would call that a learning experience.
Nansemond River / Woodside. Really good game. I am sure GoDawgs will provide the stats and a more eloquent write up but for those who like detail, here goes.

Tyler Brown led off top of first with a walk, was sacked to 2nd by Josh Howard and brought home by Brandon Lowe’s double. Woodside answered back immediately in the bottom of the 1st. With 1 out, Justin Carter singled up the middle and advanced to second on an errant pickoff attempt. With 2 outs, Anthony Rouleau bought Carter home with a single up the middle. Justin Burrell followed Rouleau with another single up the middle which Ryan O’Hara, Nansemond’s CF, fielded and fired home to throw out Rouleau at the plate to end the inning.

Travis Johnson led off the top of the 3rd with a double down the right field line, advanced to 3rd on a WP and was sacked home by Hayden Champigny’s fly out to CF. The score remained 2-1 until the 7th but there was a lot of baseball between the top of the 3rd and the 7th.

In bottom of 3rd, Woodside batters strung together 3 singles but NR kept them from scoring. Jordan Ritz led off with a single, advanced to second on Justin Carter’s single, and was picked off at 2nd by Howard, NR’s pitcher. Christian Burton then singled but the next two batters popped up and flew out to end the inning and strand 2 runners.

Both teams were 3 up, 3 down in the 4th, with the help of NR’s right fielder, Dylan Roach, who made a diving catch at the deep RF line for the 3rd out of the inning.

In the bottom of the 5th, Woodside again had a runner in scoring position, with 1 away. Ritz had reached on an E-5 and advanced to second on Justin Carter’s single. Howard then struck out the next batter and induced a pop up to 2nd to end the threat.

In the bottom of the 6th, Woodside again threatened. With the score still NR 2, Woodside 1, Burrell led off with a double which dropped in the middle of the 2nd baseman, centerfielder and right fielder, all of whom were going for the pop up. Jordan Carter sac bunted Burrell to 3rd. With the tying run at 3rd and 1 out, Howard obtained 2 groundouts to end the inning.

Top of 7th. Nansemond River bats came alive. Johnson led off with a single and advanced to second on a WP. The next batter struck out and Ryan O’Hara walked. Both Johnson and O’Hara advanced a base on a PB. Blake Eure, batting in the 9-hole, hit a double to the left side, scoring Johnson and O’Hara. Tyler Brown grounded out for the second out of the inning. Howard singled to bring home Eure, the last run scored for NR.

Bottom of 7th. The first batter grounded out, Ritz, batting in the 1-hole, singled and the final batter of the game grounded into a 6-4-3 double play, the only DP of the game.
Last edited by WB Reporter
In the Kellam vs. Maury game I missed the first inning but Maury had the lead 2-0. Around the 3rd inning the bats from Kellam came alive. Christian Younce, junior catcher, came up with a 2 rbi single to tie it up. Not too familiar with the Kellam team but I know Sam and Kurt Sinnen came up with some big hits. The centerfielder for Kellam made a couple of nice diving catches. Mitch Moynihan was on the mound and man was he impressive. He went 6 innings, not sure about exact stats but I know he gave up 2 runs. By the top of the 7th the score was Kellam 9-2 and that was the final. Sam Warren, junior right hander, pitched a good solid 5 innings before being pulled. The bats for Kellam were just too much.

In the Great Bridge vs. Kecoughtan game it looked to be a pitchers dual. Flaherty threw 4 innings for Great Bridge and didnt appear to have his best stuff. He walked a couple guys and got called for a balk with runners on first and 2nd in the top of the 3rd inning. Kecoughtan then successfully executed a suicide squeeze play that would end up being Kecoughtans only run. I dont have his name but Kecoughtan threw a left hander, number 12, I think its Nick Matheson? He kept Great Bridge off balance for the first 3 innings before the Wildcats made adjustments. Steven Dudley hit an absolute lazer to centerfield that I believe scored a run. I was talking to people so I cant remember the exact details. Hunter Higgerson had a couple nice hits and Preston Grissom made a couple of nice plays in rightfield for Great Bridge. Final score was 7-1.

The Churchland vs. First Colonial game was the most interesting of the 3 I saw. Churchland threw Dylan Bratton while FC threw Michael Reinerth. Bratton looked really good out there and appeared to be in control the whole game despite taking a line drive off his glove hand in the 4th inning. He would shake it off and pitch the rest of the game. In the third inning Churchland got 2 runs off of a couple big hits, not sure about names. Then in the bottom of the 4th Churchland opened it up with 3 runs that ultimately chased Reinerth. It was highlighted by Jeff Younkins double down the left field line that 1 hopped the 325 sign. I saw Younkins hit a 1 hopper to the left field 375 sign in the District championship game against Maury. Hes a senior and a lot of people were asking where hes going next year. The final score was Churchland 5-0. Butts will throw for the Truckers against Nansemond River. Both teams can swing the bats so it will be a good game.
QUADAAAA, Here's info on the Churchland / First Colonial game. FC never really threatened. Bratton, pitching a complete game for Churchland, issued only 1 walk, scattered 5 hits in 5 different innings and allowed only 1 baserunner to advance beyond 2nd base (in the 5th). In the top of the 5th, Zach Hines led off for FC with a single, Joey Brown walked, the next batter grounded into a DP with Hines advancing to 3rd and the next batter flew out to end the inning. FC sent only 26 batters to the plate in the 7 innings.

Churchland scored 3 in the bottom of the 2nd and 2 in the bottom of the 5th. With 1 out in the 2nd, Wes Morisette was hit by a pitch and advanced to second on Dion Hunt’s sac bunt. Tony Bolden then reached on a walk. Steven Butt singled, bringing home Morisette. Derek Redditt singled after Butt, Kyle Bynum reached on a error and Clarence Clark singled home Butt who crossed the plate before Bynum was tagged out rounding 2nd to end the inning. In the 5th, with 1 out and after Clark was hit by a pitch and Nick Morisette walked, Jeffrey Younkins doubled into the LF corner, bringing home both Clark and Morisette.

The difference in the game was the free passes and the timing of the hits. Churchland only had 1 more hit than FC but had them with runners on base. FC's 3 pitchers on the other hand, combined to issue 7 free passes (4 BB, 3HP), 4 of whom scored.
Last edited by WB Reporter
Nansemond River 5R 7H 2E 5LOB
Woodside 1R 9H 0E 7LOB

Nansemond River scored in the 1st inning when Tyler Brown led the game off with a walk, was moved to 2B on a sac bunt by Josh Howard and then scored on a Brandon Lowe double to deep right center field. In the bottom of the frame Justin Carter got the first of his three hits of the night, moved to 2B on an error by Josh Howard on a pickoff attempt, went to 3rd on a deep fly ball out by Christian Burton and scored on Anthony Rouleau's single up the middle.

In the second NR's Travis Johnson opened with a double down the right field line, moved to 3B on a wild pitch and scored on a Hayden Champigny sac fly to CF. Woodside did not threaten in the 2nd. NR 2 Woodside 1 thru 2 innings.

Starting pitcher Brett Mays then settled in and held NR without threatening in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th giving up two hits in that stretch. Woodside led of the 3rd with 3 straight hits. However, lead off hitter Jordan Ritz was picked off at 2B (Howard to Lowe) before the 3rd hit of that inning. This play proved pivotal as Ritz would have likely scored on Burton's liner up the middle.

Woodside went down in order in the 4th. Had two men on with one out in the 5th before a strikeout and pop out ended the inning.

In the 6th with the score 2-1 NR, Woodside third baseman Justin Burrell opened with a double on a fly ball to right center that fell between NR's outfielders when both called for the ball then both backed off. Burrell went to third on a sac bunt by Jordan Carter. However, Howard was able to get two groundballs that stranded Burrell at third.

In the 7th, Travis Johnson opened with a single. After a Mays strikeout, Johnson moved to second on a passed ball and Ryan O'Hara drew a walk. Johnson and O'Hara moved up a base on a wild pitch and Blake Eure hit a 2RBI single past the Woodside shortstop. Eure was moved to 3B on a sac bunt and Josh Howard plated Eure with a single up the middle. Woodside did not threaten in the bottom of the 7th.

Nansemond River
Josh Howard (WP) 7IP 1R 9H 1K 1BB

Brandon Lowe 2-3 RBI
Travis Johnson 2-3 double 2 runs scored
Blake Eure 1-3 2 RBI run scored

Woodside
Brett Mays (LP) 7IP 5R 7H 5K 3BB (1 intentional)

Jordan Ritz 2-4
Justin carter 3-4 run scored
Justin Burrell 2-3 double
Last edited by Go Dawgs
quote:
Originally posted by ohdyou:
In the Kellam vs. Maury game I missed the first inning but Maury had the lead 2-0. Around the 3rd inning the bats from Kellam came alive. Christian Younce, junior catcher, came up with a 2 rbi single to tie it up. Not too familiar with the Kellam team but I know Sam and Kurt Sinnen came up with some big hits. The centerfielder for Kellam made a couple of nice diving catches. Mitch Moynihan was on the mound and man was he impressive. He went 6 innings, not sure about exact stats but I know he gave up 2 runs. By the top of the 7th the score was Kellam 9-2 and that was the final. Sam Warren, junior right hander, pitched a good solid 5 innings before being pulled. The bats for Kellam were just too much.

1) Warren had a no hitter until the 4th, when Younce tripled to the LCF fence.
2) Kellam's CF was Kyle Porter. He made 1 diving catch as did the RF James Stroud.
3) Kurt Sinnen and Tyler Boothe also tripled for Kellam.
Last edited by redbird5
Hey Guys, Cook didn't start because he threw alot of pitches last Wed, Rienerth was fresh, FC didn't look past Churchland, and congrats to Churchland, they seemed more inspired and Fc looked gassed. Rienerth couldnt locate his curve ball, Good luck to Kellam,and FYI to all those dads out there, 4 years go by quick, enjoy it the best you can,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.