Skip to main content

from time to time i read about posters kids having surgery. i would be interested how many of us have players that had arm surgery?and if it was in high school or college?

my son had tj surgery in july after his second year of juco play.

baseball......a big business disquised as a little boys dream.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son had TJ surgery last June, end of his sophomore year in HS. Dr. Andrews found a large bone chip which he said was rubbing and cutting the ligament for probably a couple of years. Was back on the field playing 3rd base the following spring and now back on the bump. Tough stuff but after Dr. Andrews I credit my son's therapist for his strong recovery. After the operation it's all about who is in charge of you son's rehab. Never think that they're all the same, because they're not!.
Last edited by itsrosy
luvbb
how long did it take to be 100%?is he a pitcher?

kjktj
just bone chips ? no ucl damage?

itsrosy

how long before he had his stuff back? or felt good with it?dr andrews is one of the nicest people i've ever dealt with. not to mention a great surgeon.

pg
i've been reading here for a while,wasn't your son a pitcher?pro player?i asume everything went well?

play
how long is that rehab?pitcher?

catcher
i'm assuming your son is a catcher.tough to miss his senior year.but sonds like he is sticking with it.

good luck to all your sons.i'm surprised at how young some of them are.i guess they are fortunate to the procedure avalable to them.how good wood sandy koufax have been with it?or how much longer could he have played.

we go next month to his 4 month checkup,then a game of catch.we had one in the front yard the day before the operation.really brought back some memorys.6 or 60 it's a great game.thank you all for sharing .
Son had TJ early last March at the beginning of his college Jr year and will start off the mound this week. He started throwing in early July, and has worked up to throwing 170 ft long toss and recently flat ground work with no tightness or discomfort. However, this has not gone by without extensive rehab all summer following the throwing "protocol" to the letter.
20dad,

Son is actually a catcher. Had surgery by Dr. Andrews and followed protocal to a "t". Last spring he was 1 year removed from surgery and started season as #1 catcher. However, his "rebound" time on his arm just wasn't there yet. Plus, the cold weather did not help AT ALL! Lost the starting position and wound up sitting the bench the majority of last collegiate season. This summer he played summer ball out in Arizona..the warmth and added time removed from surgery was the ticket for him. It took a good 1 1/2 years to feel back to 100% and play every day at 100%. Just completed a terrific fall ball season where he threw out close to 75-80% of steal attempts on him. Working hard to get that playing time back Smile.
Last edited by luvbb
luvbb
i'm sure the doctors around the country are very good.i can say quite abit about dr andrews.but i think the most important thing is he leaves nothing to chance.and a very good support group as well.
as i said next month checkup and the throwing program.i've heard that after the 10 to 12 months and your deamed ok. it takes another 10 to 12 months to get the feel for your stuff.
the thing that interests me is how many kids have or need this done.
20dad,

The doc said the rehab is 4 months before he can even throw a ball. My son is hoping that he will be throwing the ball well enough to make the baseball team--try-outs are in February. By the way, he turned 17 two days before the surgery. This is making his college selection process a wee bit more "interesting".

He is not a pitcher, he is a shortstop. The doc, a White Sox team doctor, said the shoulder doesn't know if it is "pitching" a ball or "throwing" it. It's the same shoulder motion.

The doctor, Gregory Nicholson, also said he is dismayed at the number kids that have injuries which require surgeries. He attributes it to the emphasis on playing year-round sports and "specializing" at an early age. Kids don't have the opportunity to rest their arms....and by playing only one sport, they work the same muscles over and over to the "breaking point."

Since I have two young softball players, he addressed them, too. He commented that softball pitchers are fine. They can throw all day long. It's the position players that he sees most often. Of course, I am taking everything he said to heart, and will do things differently for them than we did for my two sons. My girls thankfully don't pitch--softball pitchers have their own special danger--just ask their dentists!
Last edited by play baseball
My son had ulnar nerve transposition surgery in April of 2005 during his soph year at OU. This is where the ulnar nerve is repositioned outside the elbow joint. He had been experiencing numbness in some of his fingers from time to time when pitching and the diagnosis was a compression on the ulnar nerve inside the elbow joint. There was no ligament or tendon damage so this was relatively minor surgery. He was able to receive a medical redshirt for that season and is now entering his junior season at OU.

Ann
Son's, 14 yo, elbow coming along fine. Started out as just a scope job, ended up actually opening it up. All ligaments and tendons seem okay. Took out a bunch of bone. After this round of PT, Dr. has authorized a light throwing routine starting about Christmas. No long toss just catch. After a couple of weeks, or if pain re-occurs, back to the Dr. Our Dr. also commented on the # of young arms having surgery.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.