Skip to main content

Hi, I've been a reader of this site for a while now, and just signed up.

Anyway, I have a question -- wasn't sure where to put it, but I figured it'd fit here well enough.

I went to a 4-year school for two years, and did not play baseball. Then I went to a JC and played my first year there (last year). I am again planning to play this year, and hopefully when I transfer to another school this coming fall (to finally get my four year degree!).

I don't know much about eligibility rules, but I recently found out about the five year clock. After this season, I will have completed four years of college. So after my first year at my new school, that will be five years.

Does that mean I can't play my final year? Even at a D-3? From my limited research, the answer I'm getting is yes, but I figured this was the best place to ask. Are there any exceptions?

Anyway, sorry to be so lengthly -- thanks in advance!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The 5 calendar year rule applies to D1. Divisions D2, D3, and NAIA follow a similar rule which offers more flexibility.

They use the 10 full-time semester rule-- a player has 10 full time semesters before his eligibility is exhausted. (He still only has 4 seasons of competition eligibity.) A player who takes time off from full-time studies doesn't accrue semesters against the rule. The extreme example of this was the 59 year old Mike Flynt returning to Sul Ross State as a linebacker in 2007.

So, if you weren't a full-time student (as defined by the college you were at) in any term, that term doesn't count toward the 10. It is also possible, but difficult, to to enroll part time in the fall--but you can't practice with the team.

There is a waiver possibility, but it's really tough to qualify unless you were unable to play in the first two years.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.